• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please tell me Koertzen can't be involved in ruining the final too

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rudi is absolutely hopeless - always has been and it's too late to change now

The incident that best sums his "skill" as an umpire up was in the super-test where 3rd umpire was allowed for all decisions.

In one of the breaks, Rudi was interviewed and he stated how he didnt like it nor did he need it in any event

Anyway, first over or so after the break, Rudi gives someone out to one of the worst lbw decisions you'll ever see having refused to refer the appeal

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rudi is absolutely hopeless - always has been and it's too late to change now
No, he hasn't - and nor is he now, really.
The incident that best sums his "skill" as an umpire up was in the super-test where 3rd umpire was allowed for all decisions.

In one of the breaks, Rudi was interviewed and he stated how he didnt like it nor did he need it in any event

Anyway, first over or so after the break, Rudi gives someone out to one of the worst lbw decisions you'll ever see having refused to refer the appeal
Rudi is certainly not alone - many of his generation (Umpires and those who'd not put on the coat if you paid them a million $$s a year) feel the exact same way that the game would be lesser for the Third-Umpire to be limited in use.

Don't take-out a wide-ranging thing on 1 person.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Bat before wicket, unfortunately for Rudi this isn't an anomaly, quite possibly the worst umpire when it comes to LBW decisions.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rudi gets a fair bit of unfair slack IMO. He was rated the best (above Taufel, let's not forget) just 3 years ago.
What rating was this on?

Because if its the mistake percentage thing, Hair was fairly high last year...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's purely the opinions of the captains on the relevant panel unless I'm much mistaken.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I like Bucknor and Bowden. Taufel too but I definately don't want to see him in the final.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Rudi gets a fair bit of unfair slack IMO. He was rated the best (above Taufel, let's not forget) just 3 years ago.

People always seem to notice his errors (which he does make - like anyone) and rarely note his error-free games, which certainly do happen.
Today he had a very very bad day and unfortunately his accuracy (or error rate) and credibility in crucial matches is becoming extremely difficult to allow him officiate important games in the World Cup.

But ICC might still appoint him if Australia as expected get to the final . If SA get to the final , then we may be spared of Rudi.:)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I hope they go with Bucknor and Aleem Dar although the next best option would Bucknor and Bowden. ( I agree with Richard, Bowden does have a very slight pro Australian bias) .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Amazing that Bucknor is being talked of in decent terms again, given that 2 years ago he had been (for 3 years) absolutely terrible and near enough everyone had written him off!

Good comeback, old chap. Hopefully he'll now retire gracefully.

Fiery

Banned
Taufel's lbw decisions to give Taylor and Dilshan out today were both terrible for someone who's rated by most as the number 1.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not really. Even the best Umpires will make mistakes. You can't expect faultless decision-making, or even close to it without aid from TV and gadgets.

Says a fair bit that those are the first errors I can recall from Taufel for months.

Last edited:

Fiery

Banned
Not really. Even the best Umpires will make mistakes. You can't expect faultless decision-making, or even close to it without aid from TV and gadgets.

Says a fair bit that those are the first errors I can recall from Taufel for months.
I don't understand why you are saying "Not really?". I'm just stating that he made two bad decisions which is common knowledge and you reply with "not really?" No comprehendo Ricardo :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The "not really" was to say that they weren't really terrible just because he's rated the best in the business. They were errors, but I've seen many, many worse.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
If the umpires can restore the balance a bit by helping claim some Aussie wickets and by denying Aussie bowlers a few, they would be preventing Australia from ruining the finals :sleep: