• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa are they still wearing the chocker tag?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I find it funny that NZ has reached the semi's 5 times now and not once have they made it to the finals. Everytime they get hammered ... so LOL .. talk about chockers, you have the real deal right there!
Our cricket team aren't chokers. Our rugby team, on the other hand...

I don't see how losing today will prove they are chokers, unless they play ridiculously badly or throw away a winning position. Losing a game you're expected to lose is hardly choking unless there are strange circumstances to the loss.
Bingo. To choke, the generally accepted theory is you should be favourites going into the event.

Well, they did in one. Although Inzamam taking the game away from the Kiwis probably doesn't equate them throwing the game away.
And Pakistan did go on to win the final...

Boring?? Quite the opposite really. I just had a quick look at the on-line news reports out of South Africa, and this match and the "choke" is somewhat breaking news and front page news. It appears to be of interest to the nation. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Really worthy of six :laugh: s? No.

Big call I know, and I'm certainly not sure or anything, just a guess...
Nah, don't reckon it is - just your garden-variety oxygen thief.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
They won't lose the choker tag until they win a world cup.. What I don't understand is why the same doesn't apply to Pakistan, India or England..
Because Pakistan, India and/or England weren't the no.1/2 team of last 15 years. Please tell me one decent tournament SA have won since 1991 ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Evidently all of his posts are worthy of some :laugh:s somewhere or other. And a post-title. And an icon in the title...

Certainly a pattern there, even if it's not BLE. And some of the sentiments expressed are similar, and the calibre of spelling\grammer is most out-of-kilter with the stupidity perhaps being put-on in the said aforementioned patterns.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because Pakistan, India and/or England weren't the no.1/2 team of last 15 years. Please tell me one decent tournament SA have won since 1991 ?
Well any number of ODI tri\quad series in the mid-late 1990s, for starters.

frey

School Boy/Girl Captain

It is all relative. I laugh long and loud most times. In this case the choker tag on RSA was so obvious if you look back in recent history. IMO worth 6- 8 laughs (at least). :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa are they still wearing the chocker tag?

NO. They dont wear it any more.

Its been branded on their torsoes.:dry:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Who needs the choker tag, when you've got the choker tattoo and all kinds of choker accesories.

pasag

RTDAS
This is the most boring subject ever. No matter in what thread the words South Africa comes up in, there will also be a few pages of posts with the word chokers in it. Same old, same old. Makes one lose interest in any discussion of the team immediately. And you all wonder why you have so few Saffies on this forum.
Yeah, but you make it sound like it's some sort of Cricket Web thing when in fact its a term used in relation to South Africa all the time in the media and other places however rightly or wrongly. There are certainly merits to say South Africa's batting line up choked last night although as has been said, they weren't favourites going in so they could hardly choke by losing, although the magnitude of the loss could certainly be termed a choke.

Still, I'd agree the constant tagging and stereotyping of South Africans as chokers would be annoying.

Matt79

Global Moderator
But merited, itbt.

That performance last night represented a huge failure to play to their potential, and it was an inability to keep their heads and play sensibly in the conditions, against the opposition, that did them in - not any abnormally special effort by the Australians. That's the definition of a choke to me. And given the track record, it seems a fair call to me.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Smith - rubbish shot, didn't perform anywhere close to a "captains innings"

Kallis - The best thing about Kallis was he knew how to handle the situation, last night he did a terrible shot, so unlike him.

Prince - Picked in the side mainly to make runs in difficult situations, Worst shot of the day.

These 3 guys choked. Such a terrible semi final, they made 149 which was about 149 to few..

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Yeah, but you make it sound like it's some sort of Cricket Web thing when in fact its a term used in relation to South Africa all the time in the media and other places however rightly or wrongly.
Which is why it makes it so boring to read it, ad nauseum, in here, too. Many of the posts are not even a constructive discussion of who, when or how the team choked. It's one liners and 3 word sentences. Surely Cricket Web members are original and intelligent enough not to have to resort to copycatting the media who are all just copying each other.:) Someone coins a phrase and they all jump on the bandwagon.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Boring?? Quite the opposite really. I just had a quick look at the on-line news reports out of South Africa, and this match and the "choke" is somewhat breaking news and front page news. It appears to be of interest to the nation. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Yeah, unfortunatly there's some warped theory going on in the country that we are actually able to take Australia on at their own game and therefore win a world cup against them.. I'm sorry, but it doesnt work like that, and we'll just go the same way that every other nation will until Australia start a real downturn.. I'm glad we played aggresive cricket, which meant guys would get out to stupid shots. I'm glad we aimed to get 300 and failed rather than *****footed our way to 235..

I was quietly optimistic that we'd do well, given our record, but the kind of slamming and ridiculing that has gone on since yesterday just makes us look a bit like India or Pakistan.. I wish okes would keep some perspective

Majola's come out all guns blazing saying we lack the mental capacity.. I'm fed up of the over analysing, nothing wrong with being beaten by a superior team trying to play their own game.. I've been absolutely smashed today for daring to say that Australia might be better and it was no shame to lose to them properly in a semi final...

The attitude of SA fans seems to be the total opposite to England fans.. Dire optimism as opposed to dire pessimism..

Last edited:

frey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah, unfortunatly there's some warped theory going on in the country that we are actually able to take Australia on at their own game and therefore win a world cup against them.. I'm sorry, but it doesnt work like that, and we'll just go the same way that every other nation will until Australia start a real downturn.. I'm glad we played aggresive cricket, which meant guys would get out to stupid shots. I'm glad we aimed to get 300 and failed rather than *****footed our way to 235..

I was quietly optimistic that we'd do well, given our record, but the kind of slamming and ridiculing that has gone on since yesterday just makes us look a bit like India or Pakistan.. I wish okes would keep some perspective

Majola's come out all guns blazing saying we lack the mental capacity.. I'm fed up of the over analysing, nothing wrong with being beaten by a superior team trying to play their own game.. I've been absolutely smashed today for daring to say that Australia might be better and it was no shame to lose to them properly in a semi final...

The attitude of SA fans seems to be the total opposite to England fans.. Dire optimism as opposed to dire pessimism..

I really appreciate your frank and considered thoughts on the overall situation. As an Aussie cricket fan looking from the outside at the South African situation, I can now see the point you are making. I too had been caught up in the media hype.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
But merited, itbt.

That performance last night represented a huge failure to play to their potential, and it was an inability to keep their heads and play sensibly in the conditions, against the opposition, that did them in - not any abnormally special effort by the Australians. That's the definition of a choke to me. And given the track record, it seems a fair call to me.
I think their potential was overrated in the first place.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Possibly, but that's largely irrelevant to what I was saying. Regardless of how good their potential is, what they produced was clearly nowhere near it.

Kallis has shown that he could, playing his normal game, be relied upon to make a worthwhile score, even if his strike rate is only around 70. That potential isn't over-rated, what people dispute is whether that's a good enough effort from a player of his calibre. He manifestly didn't meet that potential.

Prince played an awful shot that he would have been disappointed by. He's shown in the past he can at least play with some application. Didn't meet his potential.

Gibbs has the potential to play great innings but frequently gets himself out seemingly relaxing after he's done the hard work. Didn't meet his potential.

Kemp was in a hard spot, and couldn't read Hogg at all, so you could say that he did the best he could in the circumstances. Boucher got a great first delivery and was gone before he knew it, so its hard to criticise him for not meeting his potential.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Everything you say about South Africa can be taken with a grain of salt though, really.

Plus, as Matt said, that's entirely irrelevant to his point. If you're going to suggest that their potential consisted of what they displayed in the semi-final, then that really just sums up how seriously your opinion of them can be taken.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Everything you say about South Africa can be taken with a grain of salt though, really.

Plus, as Matt said, that's entirely irrelevant to his point. If you're going to suggest that their potential consisted of what they displayed in the semi-final, then that really just sums up how seriously your opinion of them can be taken.
Again another case where you completely misunderstood what I said.
No, I'm saying that that all this talk prior to teh tournament about how good South Africa really were was a bit misplaced....all I ever said about RSA was that their no.1 ranking was not really reflective of how good a team they were and I think my stand has been vindicated now that that the World Cup is nearly over.

South Africa looked a great team at home but when they were taken out of their comfort zone, they looked far from being a world no.1 oufit.
Hence it is no great surprise that they were well beaten by AUstralia.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Again another case where you completely misunderstood what I said.
No, I'm saying that that all this talk prior to teh tournament about how good South Africa really were was a bit misplaced....all I ever said about RSA was that their no.1 ranking was not really reflective of how good a team they were and I think my stand has been vindicated now that that the World Cup is nearly over.

South Africa looked a great team at home but when they were taken out of their comfort zone, they looked far from being a world no.1 oufit.
Hence it is no great surprise that they were well beaten by AUstralia.
Fair enough - except I'd say it was a surprise they were utterly humiliated rather than just "well beaten".