• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa are they still wearing the chocker tag?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
TBF we've managed to lose two WC finals when we were in positions to win at times during both matches, so we weren't adverse to the occasional choke.

Is today's performance a choke tho? Or just freezing on the big stage? Need to get my clichés sorted for the inevitable discussion in the boozer on Friday.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
TBF we've managed to lose two WC finals when we were in positions to win at times during both matches, so we weren't adverse to the occasional choke.
Should the tag really apply to a team that makes it to the WC finals? I mean its no easy ask to make three finals, and they always lost to better teams, didn't they?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
India and SA are biggest chokers when it comes to big matches esp when they are facing Australia.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
To choke, surely one would have to turn up?

This was nothing more than a redundant ass ****ing with captain Smith’s waltz precluding the inevitable.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Should the tag really apply to a team that makes it to the WC finals? I mean its no easy ask to make three finals, and they always lost to better teams, didn't they?
That's certainly true of 1979, but we were arguably a better one day outfit than either Oz in 1987 or Pakistan in 1992. We'd bowled the latter out for 70-odd in the group stage before rain interrupted.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
That's certainly true of 1979, but we were arguably a better one day outfit than either Oz in 1987 or Pakistan in 1992. We'd bowled the latter out for 70-odd in the group stage before rain interrupted.

You could argue that we choked in 1987. IIRC we bowled horribly at the start of the Aus innings, and a lot of our batsmen froze badly. Then there's Gatt's ludicrous reverse sweep, of course. That was a game we should have won.

1992 was different, imo. Ultimately we lost because a number of Pakistan players played really well: crucially their world class performers produced the goods when it mattered most. There's not much shame in losing out to Imran, Javed, Wasim & Inzi playing out of their skins.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's no coincidence that we had both games virtually won before wickets at a crucial time in both yanked them away.

The ultimate WC choke, though, has to be 1983. West Indies losing to India is easily the biggest upset in WC-final history.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It's no coincidence that we had both games virtually won before wickets at a crucial time in both yanked them away.

The ultimate WC choke, though, has to be 1983. West Indies losing to India is easily the biggest upset in WC-final history.
Dunno if that was a choke as such. More like a severe case of over-confidence, imo.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They were chasing a piss-easy target. I hate the word "choke" ITFP, TBH, so I prefer to just say lost what you should have won easily. Which they undoubtedly did.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
This is the most boring subject ever. No matter in what thread the words South Africa comes up in, there will also be a few pages of posts with the word chokers in it. Same old, same old. Makes one lose interest in any discussion of the team immediately. And you all wonder why you have so few Saffies on this forum.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH I don't think it's the only reason - James posted net-access stats for Round The World and apparently it's a pretty darn small percentage of the population in SA.

May have something to do with it, though - there are several SAfricans who've posted a little and then disappeared - DocHead was one of the best. And it is a shame.

frey

School Boy/Girl Captain
This is the most boring subject ever. No matter in what thread the words South Africa comes up in, there will also be a few pages of posts with the word chokers in it. Same old, same old. Makes one lose interest in any discussion of the team immediately. And you all wonder why you have so few Saffies on this forum.
Boring?? Quite the opposite really. I just had a quick look at the on-line news reports out of South Africa, and this match and the "choke" is somewhat breaking news and front page news. It appears to be of interest to the nation. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

frey

School Boy/Girl Captain
They won't lose the choker tag until they win a world cup.. What I don't understand is why the same doesn't apply to Pakistan, India or England..
Well stated. You can also throw in NZ and Sri Lanka. When the pressure is on in an important match against the best in the world they also choke big time. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: