Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is cricket in Asian Countries taken too seriously?

Banned

Icon4 Is cricket in Asian Countries taken too seriously?

We have seen this in the past and its quite common that if an Asian tea performs poorly it ofte leads to unexpected amount of criticism .Thats not it people burn dummies and posters of the players whom they otherwise think as gods .I think the pressure of performing and the expectations levels in Asia are just too much and the media spice it up all the more .I made this topic purely because of whats going on in the Pakistan team .The crowds in India have burnt dummies of Chappel & C0 for their loss to Bangladesh and this puts unnecessary pressure on the players and makes it even more difficult for them to [erform .

I want your views on it .

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FILOCRICKET View Post
    We have seen this in the past and its quite common that if an Asian tea performs poorly it ofte leads to unexpected amount of criticism
    In my experience that's never the case. Top quality, IMO.
    Member of the Newtown Cricket Club since January '06 - "Per commissum ad taberna"
    Honorary Vice-President of the "Twenty20 Is Boring Society"

Banned
    Yea, cricket is taken waaay too seriously though in Pakistan. They made the finals in the 1999 WC and Wasim Akram's house still got stoned just because they didn't win the finals. People are fanatics over there, not to mention the terrible tragic death of Bob Woolmer in 07 CWC. Its easy for most countries well, (most countries dont know cricket )but in countries like England, NZ, S.A, WI AND AUS they can differentiate between life and cricket. How millions and millions of ppl in the sub-continent that dont understand this is beyond me!!!

Banned
    To 16 Tins of Spam

Your from Wellington in New Zealand right? Tell me is cricket in the sub-continent like New Zealand and Rugby Union?

People are fanatics over there, not to mention the terrible tragic death of Bob Woolmer in 07 CWC.
    Nothing wrong with being fanatics. That's what makes the games fun but they got to know the limit and burning dummies houses etc. is definitely beyond the limit.

And what does the death of Bob Woolmer have to do anything with the subject?

To 16 Tins of Spam

Your from Wellington in New Zealand right? Tell me is cricket in the sub-continent like New Zealand and Rugby Union?
    Pretty sure they use a bat and ball and not an oval pigskin in the sub-continent for their cricket matches...

More emotionally than seriously to some extent I think.
    But when you come to think of it, there is a patriotic and emotional reason attached to cricket in the region. Coming from third world countries, cricket serves as a stage where a country can be known for doing well in something – an easy way to global recognition and incorporating a country with something!

At least that’s the Bangladeshi fans’ mentality (one reason why they are emotional yet not extremists in all sense…..yet )!
    Prowling tiger crouching low
    Ready to unleash its lethal blow
    Its eyes on the mighty prey
    Today the hunter will become the hunted!!!!!

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam View Post
    In my experience that's never the case. Top quality, IMO.
    I endorse that. I havent tasted tea from Pakistan though. How is it ??

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    I endorse that. I havent tasted tea from Pakistan though. How is it ??
    I think even my spelling is taken way to seriously

Banned
    We should remember that most of the population in places like India, Pakistan etc have very little in their lives cricket is the one thing that bonds all the divisions and classes,and the cricketers are everyones hero not just the wealthy. That is why the pressure can be imense for these players and the result of the game so important to the general public.

You just need to look at South America with all the rags to rich's stories involving Soccer, and the passion of the crowds. Thats what most of the Kids in Asia hope will happen to them, the ones that are playing in the street not in the rich affulent schools that the Dravid's grew up in.

No young indian or Pakistani youth is going to want to play Soccer, Basketball, Volleyball etc when their cricket players are treated like Gods.
    Cricket is still an elitest sport in Asia, although played by the masses it is controled by the rich. Unlike other countries you dont hear very often about some kid that was "discovered" playing in the street. Most have had some involvment with cricket and is always someones son, nephew, cousin etc that gets the chance ahead of others

Cricket is still an elitest sport in Asia, although played by the masses it is controled by the rich. Unlike other countries you dont hear very often about some kid that was "discovered" playing in the street. Most have had some involvment with cricket and is always someones son, nephew, cousin etc that gets the chance ahead of others
    Agreed with most of your post but this last bit is not entirely true. True that cricket is controlled by upper-class people but diamonds in the rough are picked up left and right!
    Abdul Razzak (former Abdur Razzak) for one was such (If I am not wrong), Mashrafe Mortaza was one (true he got noticed while playing a district match I think, but he was more into badminton, had he not been noticed, he wouldn't be here), and this is my favorite story, Mohammad Rafique used to sell peanuts outside a cricket field in Bangladesh and this is a fact that many people know, and look where he is here now !

And he still takes a boat to get to his small tin shed house across the river in a small village !!!!!

They take everything 2 seriously....

I'd like to know more about this Asian tea tbh.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

I think cricket is a widely followed sport in the Asian countries and the passion for the game is also very high which most of the time makes the fans react in an OTT manner.

But it also happens in other countries where soccer is the dominant sport, the way people react and behave in those countries (brawls between fans, throwing torches at the goalies,etc) also shows that being obsessed and mad about any sport ain't the right way to go.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    I'd like to know more about this Asian tea tbh.
    Alright, Alright i get your point it was a spelling mistake I just type really really fast. for now lets just talk about cricket ok. If you want to talk about TEA i reccomend you to this forum were you can TEA CHAT

http://www.teachat.com/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information