• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

speed hits back at critics...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wouldn't a lot of the problems with the WC have been cast aside had it simply not gone on so long? If they ran 2 super eight games each day, it would have been over in two weeks' less time and in a wholly more satisfactory time frame.
Who gets the blame for that? I suppose whichever of the ICC or local organisers (or both) who kow-towed to the television rights holders who wanted one match per day.
I dont have a problem with rain days, etc in principal, as it is best to minimise the effect weather has on a WC, at least to extent that this is possible.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Burgey said:
Wouldn't a lot of the problems with the WC have been cast aside had it simply not gone on so long?
Not really, no. In fact, I don't think the length is a problem at all - or it wouldn't have been had the cricket been of a better quality. And I can see myself typing up basically a duplicate post, so instead I'll just link to it. :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Wouldn't a lot of the problems with the WC have been cast aside had it simply not gone on so long? If they ran 2 super eight games each day, it would have been over in two weeks' less time and in a wholly more satisfactory time frame.
Even if you had 2 matches a day with rain days, it wouldn't have shortened it at all.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
well not with the current organization but if they did it differently. they did the best they could with the format considering all the things they had to consider:p

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
While the Final was a shamble, I personally do not agree all the blame falls on ICC.

It was unfortunately a bad day where the Weather Gods decided to play their part...

The rains had stopped after 2 hours but for few drizzles intermittently. The game could've started during this period..Nothing that the Teams or players couldn't cope with.

In fact it had stopped raining for over an hour before the game got underway.

The Umpires who had no hesitation in continuing the game while it was raining, delayed starting the game far too long IMO, and I suspect it must've been partly due to the Match referee putting pressure thus unfairly favouring the Team that had won the Toss....

Once it was decided to start the game, the calculation with regard to the number of overs that would be played giving consideration to the Time lost and the change of innings was pretty poor...Again the Match referee and the Umpires one suspects were put under immense pressure to not reduce the number of overs which would have been advantageous to the Team batting second or disadvantageous to the Team batting first.

So as a result they deliberately tried to squeeze in more overs than that could've been completed in good light. (realistically the game shouldve been reduced to 34 or 35 overs).

Then this was further confounded by their failure to go off when it continued raining heavily and the batsman were struggling to keep focussed from Over 22 onwards...

The final fiasco was when they offered light at over 33 and when it was virtually all over and then offering to come back next day to play the last 3 overs the next day....

Overall it was a shambles....because under pressure from the TV commitments and other pressures (of wanting to complete the World Cup in 1 day and with no prepared plan to cope with or advice from the Match referee re how to deal with the reduction in time etc) and under pressure (from who knows what) and wanting to be fair to the Team that won the Toss and had chosen to bat first, they decidedly did things that were unfair to the Team batting second....

None of these may really have changed the outcome of this game....Because the better Team did win the World Cup..But I will be very happy if ICC learn from this and try and do things fairly for all Teams in future World Cups...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
After all this I can't believe they are going to let Jeff Crowe scott free and he will continue refereeing.... I am dumb founded....

Talk about gutless ICC and this is one big example.

Langeveldt

Soutie
After all this I can't believe they are going to let Jeff Crowe scott free and he will continue refereeing.... I am dumb founded....

Talk about gutless ICC and this is one big example.
Quite funny, Hair gets ostracized for following the letter of the law, these guys totally ignore the rules and run away scot free :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not really, no. In fact, I don't think the length is a problem at all - or it wouldn't have been had the cricket been of a better quality. And I can see myself typing up basically a duplicate post, so instead I'll just link to it. :p
I thought that exactly. Had the quality been there, I doubt the complaints of the length would have been raised - indeed, possibly quite the opposite. You can have too much of a good thing, but it's a damn difficult thing to do.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
While the Final was a shamble, I personally do not agree all the blame falls on ICC.

It was unfortunately a bad day where the Weather Gods decided to play their part...

The rains had stopped after 2 hours but for few drizzles intermittently. The game could've started during this period..Nothing that the Teams or players couldn't cope with.

In fact it had stopped raining for over an hour before the game got underway.

The Umpires who had no hesitation in continuing the game while it was raining, delayed starting the game far too long IMO, and I suspect it must've been partly due to the Match referee putting pressure thus unfairly favouring the Team that had won the Toss....

Once it was decided to start the game, the calculation with regard to the number of overs that would be played giving consideration to the Time lost and the change of innings was pretty poor...Again the Match referee and the Umpires one suspects were put under immense pressure to not reduce the number of overs which would have been advantageous to the Team batting second or disadvantageous to the Team batting first.

So as a result they deliberately tried to squeeze in more overs than that could've been completed in good light. (realistically the game shouldve been reduced to 34 or 35 overs).

Then this was further confounded by their failure to go off when it continued raining heavily and the batsman were struggling to keep focussed from Over 22 onwards...

The final fiasco was when they offered light at over 33 and when it was virtually all over and then offering to come back next day to play the last 3 overs the next day....

Overall it was a shambles....because under pressure from the TV commitments and other pressures (of wanting to complete the World Cup in 1 day and with no prepared plan to cope with or advice from the Match referee re how to deal with the reduction in time etc) and under pressure (from who knows what) and wanting to be fair to the Team that won the Toss and had chosen to bat first, they decidedly did things that were unfair to the Team batting second....

None of these may really have changed the outcome of this game....Because the better Team did win the World Cup..But I will be very happy if ICC learn from this and try and do things fairly for all Teams in future World Cups...
Indeed.