Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BBC's flops of the tournament 11...do you agree?

Banned

BBC's flops of the tournament 11...do you agree?

Not sure if this was the exact batting order, but it doesn't really matter...

1. Gayle
    2. Vaughan
    3. Younis Khan
    4. Tendulkar
    5. Inzaman
    6. Flintoff
    7. Dhoni
    8. Harbajan Singh
    9. Saj Mahmood
    10. Danish Kaneria
    11. Ntini

State Vice-Captain gettingbetter's Avatar
    1. Gayle - agree
    2. Vaughan - agree
    3. Younis Khan - agree
    4. Tendulkar - agree
    5. Inzaman - agree
    6. Flintoff - agree
    7. Dhoni - agree
    8. Harbajan Singh - agree
    9. Saj Mahmood diagree
    10. Danish Kaneria - agree
    11. Ntini - agree

Surpisngly, (in my opinion atleast) the least experienced player on the list wasn't a flop. If anything Mahmood was Engalnd's second best bowler, and easily their most threatening. Also, if you place in it context, Mahmood only enhanced career as opposed to all the other players on the list.

Biggest flops:

* Ntini: He was touted as the best ODI bowler prior to the Wc, wasn't he? He probably was - bowling fast, being economical and taking wickets - not much happening and thats why he is dropped

* Dhoni: the Indian Gilchrist? He really hasn't done much since the Pakistan and Sri Lanka series

* Super Freddie Flintoff: the best ODI all-rounder in the world? Surely the 05 honeymoon is over

Banned
    Who are you putting in in place of Mahwide then?

Hussey could well make it in that list.... but he still has the chance to bring in a great semi-final/final performance.

He's been the worst of the Test playing nations batsmen in Fantasy Cricket from teams who made the Super Eight and has hardly had a tournament to remember.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Hussey could well make it in that list.... but he still has the chance to bring in a great semi-final/final performance.

He's been the worst of the Test playing nations batsmen in Fantasy Cricket from teams who made the Super Eight and has hardly had a tournament to remember.
    Yes, I would add Hussey to list...4 out of 6 knocks in single digits...not a single fifty yet.

State Vice-Captain gettingbetter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prakesh View Post
    Who are you putting in in place of Mahwide then?
    Could Freddie be in the team as batsman and bowler?

Either way, the heading of the list says 'flops'. Surely the cricket pundits didn't have high hopes for Mahmood; he's only played 20 odd ODIs. Compare him to the other guys on the list (who all except Dhono and Vaughan have played over 100 gameas) and he is inexperienced as anything, he has passed expectations.

So the 'flop' tag doesn't really apply, though just for the sake of it, to replace Mahmood...I guess I could name a number of Indian bowlers, but from teams that are in the Super 8s, it would have to be Jerome Taylor, but that's even a stretch.

I think overall, considering all the factors such as the batsman tailored wickets and the small grounds, the bowlers have done a good job, let alone Mahmood being tagged as a 'flop.'

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Very, very harsh to put Tendulkar in there.

He only played three games - scored a fifty in one of them, and failed in another where everyone else failed as well.They're effectively putting him in there on the basis that he didn't get runs against Sri Lanka.

No way Hussey would be near the worst 50 of the WC imo, perhaps worst 100 given the amount of time he's had out at the middle and when he comes in and most importantly his role of rebuilding an Australian innings has never actually been needed yet. Australia's top order success has meant Hussey has been not needed so to speak and therefore it's been a non-existent WC for him as has been said quite abit.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    Very, very harsh to put Tendulkar in there.

He only played three games - scored a fifty in one of them, and failed in another where everyone else failed as well.They're effectively putting him in there on the basis that he didn't get runs against Sri Lanka.
    It was against Bermuda, but it was a quality knock though. Very entertaining.

The Tendulkar inclusion was laughable. He definitely does not deserve to be in there.

I agree with the rest however.

Wasn't that OTT with 7 against Bangladesh and a 0 against SL. Flintoff shouldn't be in there. He's been pretty good with the ball from what I've seen and has 12 wickets at under 20. I think it's just people expecting him to be something he's not with the bat. Monty might have a look in with only 7 wickets tbh. Nearly all of them came against weaker teams too. Tharanga's been abit poor as well although not nearly as bad as the two openers BLE has there.

I agree with Flintoff being harsh, he has bowled well so that makes it a bit daft to include him. Panesar is indeed a decent candidate to be in the 11. I'd rather have Hussey in than Flintoff at this point.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Danish Kaneria, Michael Vaughan and Younis Khan are crap ODI players anyway, so they hardly "flopped".
    Last edited by Perm; 21-04-2007 at 09:25 AM.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Icon14 BBC's flops of the tournament 11...do you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

Hussey.....a flop....??? You are joking??

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Not that unreasonable really, I know the situation has dictated how many runs he could have scored but it's hardly stopped him in the past.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information