• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BBC's flops of the tournament 11...do you agree?

prakesh

Banned
Not sure if this was the exact batting order, but it doesn't really matter...

1. Gayle
2. Vaughan
3. Younis Khan
4. Tendulkar
5. Inzaman
6. Flintoff
7. Dhoni
8. Harbajan Singh
9. Saj Mahmood
10. Danish Kaneria
11. Ntini

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
1. Gayle - agree
2. Vaughan - agree
3. Younis Khan - agree
4. Tendulkar - agree
5. Inzaman - agree
6. Flintoff - agree
7. Dhoni - agree
8. Harbajan Singh - agree
9. Saj Mahmood diagree
10. Danish Kaneria - agree
11. Ntini - agree

Surpisngly, (in my opinion atleast) the least experienced player on the list wasn't a flop. If anything Mahmood was Engalnd's second best bowler, and easily their most threatening. Also, if you place in it context, Mahmood only enhanced career as opposed to all the other players on the list.

Biggest flops:

* Ntini: He was touted as the best ODI bowler prior to the Wc, wasn't he? He probably was - bowling fast, being economical and taking wickets - not much happening and thats why he is dropped

* Dhoni: the Indian Gilchrist? He really hasn't done much since the Pakistan and Sri Lanka series

* Super Freddie Flintoff: the best ODI all-rounder in the world? Surely the 05 honeymoon is over

James

Cricket Web Owner
Hussey could well make it in that list.... but he still has the chance to bring in a great semi-final/final performance.

He's been the worst of the Test playing nations batsmen in Fantasy Cricket from teams who made the Super Eight and has hardly had a tournament to remember.

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hussey could well make it in that list.... but he still has the chance to bring in a great semi-final/final performance.

He's been the worst of the Test playing nations batsmen in Fantasy Cricket from teams who made the Super Eight and has hardly had a tournament to remember.
Yes, I would add Hussey to list...4 out of 6 knocks in single digits...not a single fifty yet.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Who are you putting in in place of Mahwide then?
Could Freddie be in the team as batsman and bowler?

Either way, the heading of the list says 'flops'. Surely the cricket pundits didn't have high hopes for Mahmood; he's only played 20 odd ODIs. Compare him to the other guys on the list (who all except Dhono and Vaughan have played over 100 gameas) and he is inexperienced as anything, he has passed expectations.

So the 'flop' tag doesn't really apply, though just for the sake of it, to replace Mahmood...I guess I could name a number of Indian bowlers, but from teams that are in the Super 8s, it would have to be Jerome Taylor, but that's even a stretch.

I think overall, considering all the factors such as the batsman tailored wickets and the small grounds, the bowlers have done a good job, let alone Mahmood being tagged as a 'flop.'

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Very, very harsh to put Tendulkar in there.

He only played three games - scored a fifty in one of them, and failed in another where everyone else failed as well.They're effectively putting him in there on the basis that he didn't get runs against Sri Lanka.

pasag

RTDAS
No way Hussey would be near the worst 50 of the WC imo, perhaps worst 100 given the amount of time he's had out at the middle and when he comes in and most importantly his role of rebuilding an Australian innings has never actually been needed yet. Australia's top order success has meant Hussey has been not needed so to speak and therefore it's been a non-existent WC for him as has been said quite abit.

pasag

RTDAS
Very, very harsh to put Tendulkar in there.

He only played three games - scored a fifty in one of them, and failed in another where everyone else failed as well.They're effectively putting him in there on the basis that he didn't get runs against Sri Lanka.
It was against Bermuda, but it was a quality knock though. Very entertaining.

simmy

International Regular
The Tendulkar inclusion was laughable. He definitely does not deserve to be in there.

I agree with the rest however.

pasag

RTDAS
Wasn't that OTT with 7 against Bangladesh and a 0 against SL. Flintoff shouldn't be in there. He's been pretty good with the ball from what I've seen and has 12 wickets at under 20. I think it's just people expecting him to be something he's not with the bat. Monty might have a look in with only 7 wickets tbh. Nearly all of them came against weaker teams too. Tharanga's been abit poor as well although not nearly as bad as the two openers BLE has there.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree with Flintoff being harsh, he has bowled well so that makes it a bit daft to include him. Panesar is indeed a decent candidate to be in the 11. I'd rather have Hussey in than Flintoff at this point.

Perm

Danish Kaneria, Michael Vaughan and Younis Khan are crap ODI players anyway, so they hardly "flopped".

Last edited:

frey

School Boy/Girl Captain

Hussey.....a flop....??? You are joking?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Perm

Not that unreasonable really, I know the situation has dictated how many runs he could have scored but it's hardly stopped him in the past.

pup11

International Coach
I think Vaughan deserved the no.1 spot there (because thats the only list he had a realistic chance of topping now) he worked pretty hard to suck that badly so give the guy some credit, i feel sorry for Michael all i can say is tough luck mate!!

Perm

Why would Vaughan be a "flop"? He has always been a poor ODI performer, so I don't understand why the expectation was high that he would score heaps of runs and lead England to victory.

Perm

Lara has averaged 41 with a strike rate of 80, not ground breaking stuff but it's hardly poor.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
He's scored 37, 44, 77, 37, 2, 21, 33.

Better than I thought actually but I would still say for Lara that is a flop.

Edit

In that he wasn't there when the WI needed him. Never really went.