• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is it just me that can't wait for the World Cup to end?

open365

International Vice-Captain
I'm sick of the whole thing tbh, the intial stages were absolutely awful with the minnows playing and even the shock performances of Ireland and Pakistan isn't making it any better.

The whole tournament is drawn out far too much, we're being overloaded with sub standard meaningless cricket, there's so many ODIs being played my head's starting to spin.

I can't wait till the wholes things over and done with now, all this one day cricket is making me realise just how superior the longer form of the game is and how bad ODIs can be.

And yes this is in part due to England's dreadful showing.

GGG

State Captain
Not for me, this is the first time I have had the opportunity to be settled and able to receive cricket on TV in 3 years. So I will be sad when it's over.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A sensational knockout phrase might just perk it up but yeah, it's been a pretty nothing tournament IMO, it'd have been far better if the preliminary group-stage had been played a year ago or so.

But a good knockout phrase and a fair bit will probably be forgiven.

Swervy

International Captain
I'm sick of the whole thing tbh, the intial stages were absolutely awful with the minnows playing and even the shock performances of Ireland and Pakistan isn't making it any better.

The whole tournament is drawn out far too much, we're being overloaded with sub standard meaningless cricket, there's so many ODIs being played my head's starting to spin.

I can't wait till the wholes things over and done with now, all this one day cricket is making me realise just how superior the longer form of the game is and how bad ODIs can be.

And yes this is in part due to England's dreadful showing.
I tend to agree, the whole thing has been far too long. The whole thing should not last more than a month. I cant see the problem with actually having 3 Group games a day, and getting the Super 8s over in about 2 and a half weeks.

Although I have enjoyed this World Cup, I cant wait to get watching the real stuff again

frey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Agree. Agree. Too drawn out. Too many mismatches.

The tournament, however, has exposed the weaknesses of India, England, Pakistan and South Africa. These teams need to go back and have a long hard look at the way they are currently approaching their one day cricket. Yes, I include South Africa because their win over the struggling English team provides a false sense of security.

Unless something happens in terms of loss of form or injury to key players, the Aussies will win easy. On recent form, they deserve to. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Im loving the WC, I think i'll be ready for it to end after the final though. Sick of watchin Bangladesh, Ireland and WI.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah this WC has just been boring to be honest, never really excited by any of the games. Can't wait until Tests start again.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Having 2 Super 8's games on a day wouldn't actually have sped the thing up, because of allowing a rain day there'd then have been a day with no games scheduled.

prakesh

Banned
I'll be disappointed when it ends. it's been great.

Having the likes of Ireland get through actually had it's good points. Seeing the likes of Murali & Tait just bamboozle them with stuff they had never seen before was hilarious.

It really made you realise just how impressive these elite level bowlers are.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Another important reason why this WC has been boring is because, yes teams like India and Pakistan did not deserve to go into the Super 8s, but let's face it not only are these two teams classy and entertaining, but they also wouldn't have lost so miserably to almost every other team... like Ireland and Bangladesh did. Honestly, it would be just so much better had it been the best 8 teams in the Super 8s. Both India/Pak had a bad day, 9 out 10 times or even more India and Pak would beat Bang and Ireland.

And honestly, the Super 8s have been quite predictable. And let's face it, we all know who's gonna' win this whole damn thing.

End of rant...

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
ireland only lost 2 games miserably....i wouldn't replace ireland with india or pakistan either....they had the best crowd and everything...

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ireland only lost 2 games miserably....i wouldn't replace ireland with india or pakistan either....they had the best crowd and everything...
Say what you want, but I don't think anyone can say in their right mind that India and Pakistan wouldn't have improved the standard of cricket. It's pretty obvious they would have, even thought they didn't deserve to go through.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
If you're gonna' talk about crowds, I am sure India/Pakistan would've attracted huge crowds, most likely the biggest of the tournament.

Say what you want, but I don't think anyone can say in their right mind that India and Pakistan wouldn't have improved the standard of cricket. It's pretty obvious they would have, even thought they didn't deserve to go through.
Exactly.

Last edited:

dass

Banned
the main reason is super 8 is too long and pointless, i liked the orginal system of having Quarterfinals, its more exciting, They should have made the first round with only 2 groups like they use too.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
uh that had more pointless games. but they could have just had a quarter finals after the group stage but i guess that wouldn't be enough games...they could have a super 8 of 2 groups or have two games a day in 2011. It wasn't too long until england lost to south africa now the 4 games were redundant.

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
They probably would have improved the standards of cricket but he said that they at least they wouldn't lose miserably to almost all teams, which isn't true for ireland or bangladesh. Also ireland and bangladesh were entertaining as well. So to go after ireland and bangladesh for making it boring/etc is wrong. It's not just them you know, there's been other one-sided games.
If you're gonna' talk about crowds, I am sure India/Pakistan would've attracted huge crowds, most likely the biggest of the tournament.
Well in the group stage, it didn't seem india and pakistan had many crowds and that's because of the visa problem.

Evermind

International Debutant
Another important reason why this WC has been boring is because, yes teams like India and Pakistan did not deserve to go into the Super 8s, but let's face it not only are these two teams classy and entertaining, but they also wouldn't have lost so miserably to almost every other team... like Ireland and Bangladesh did.
Dude, what world do you live in? Bangladesh beat SA. Could India have done that? No way in hell. Bangladesh - not a team I like very much, I gotta say - have done better at the Super 8s than India would've. I think India might've lost to pretty much all the test teams.

They got thrashed 4-1 in WI just some time ago, remember? By a team that's getting walloped by everyone else.