• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is it just me that can't wait for the World Cup to end?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
New Zealand to win world cup????????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA at least someone got a sense of humour in here
If Australia get knocked out in the semifinals then I think it's pretty feasible that New Zealand could win it, in saying that I don't think Australia will get knocked out.

Greedy666

Cricket Spectator
If Australia get knocked out in the semifinals then I think it's pretty feasible that New Zealand could win it, in saying that I don't think Australia will get knocked out.
Australia are in a class of their own!!!! even South Africa are NOWHERE near the aussies.
1 more thing, How do u get to be rated the number 1 side in the world without BEATING the number 1 side in the world??? ITS A JOKE

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

pup11

International Coach
Being the no.1 side in the world ain't a joke and its huge responsiblity to carry the no.1 tag and thats where Australians need to be respected because for more than a decade they have carried the no.1 tag in such a convincing manner.

DCC_legend

International Regular
I havnt really enjoyed the world cup like i thought i would. It was billed as the greatest world cup ever before it started, IMO it han't lived up to that.

pup11

International Coach
This WC was billed to be the most open WC ever but that certainly hasn't been the case (so far).

pasag

RTDAS
Just looking at the dates.

The 2003 WC went from Feb 9 - March 24
The 2007 WC went from Mar 13 - April 28

The 2003 WC - 54 matches
The 2007 WC - 51 matches

Did people also complain in 2003? Because as far as I can see there is no difference in the overall length of the tournament at all.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Being the no.1 side in the world ain't a joke and its huge responsiblity to carry the no.1 tag and thats where Australians need to be respected because for more than a decade they have carried the no.1 tag in such a convincing manner.
Even when they were number 2 3 weeks ago!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just looking at the dates.

The 2003 WC went from Feb 9 - March 24
The 2007 WC went from Mar 13 - April 28

The 2003 WC - 54 matches
The 2007 WC - 51 matches

Did people also complain in 2003? Because as far as I can see there is no difference in the overall length of the tournament at all.
The exact same things that are being said now were indeed said in 2003.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Top post .To create a great WC we need 100% commitment from all the teams. You don't hear of Australia getting up to late night frolics unlike England/SouthAfrica.
Late night frolics in itself doesn't demonstrate lack of committment - it's the extent combined with the timing that made such things disappointing.

And I've said all along that people have made a massive and undue meal of such things.

FILOCRICKET

Banned
In my opinion I think this is the worst world cup ever for the following reasons

consider these points

* woolmers death
* match fixing conspiracy
* Half-empty stadiums (higher ticket prices)
* No musical instruments allowed in some grounds (i think its changed now)
* poor ground facilities
* **** weather
* only handful of close games
* so many minnow bashing games
* crap schedule
* Wc far too long
* no day-night games
* poor outfeilds
* India and Pakistan knocked out early
* poor form of the host nation
* Top 3 decided halfway though the S8 round

what do u think?

LA ICE-E

State Captain
* woolmers death
happens and yes one of the down sides of the cup.
* match fixing conspiracy
no, no matching fixing conspiracy.
* Half-empty stadiums (higher ticket prices)
yes but improved a lot more and the atmosphere came back after the icc eased up.
* No musical instruments allowed in some grounds (i think its changed now)
yeah they changed it in the super 8
* poor ground facilities
No, they really got some nice facilities, including pools! are you kidding me? but the ground with the sandpit outfield was a down side.
* **** weather
it didn't play a role that much this world cup as it did last time, and we had reserve days which was used about once.
* only handful of close games
yeah, but we had more upsets than ever.
* so many minnow bashing games
No, there were less "minnow bashing games" than last time. And the minnows did well.
* crap schedule
best possible schedule for the tourists, teams, with including reserve days and everything. It couldn't have made much better.
* Wc far too long
No, the same length as last time and even shorter in terms of games. Again with things they had to take into consideration- traveling for the tourists, reserve days etc.
* no day-night games
eh, not that of a big deal.
* poor outfeilds
yeah but only in like one ground i think, barbados got a really nice one.
* India and Pakistan knocked out early
no, did south africa and england getting knocked out make 2003 the worst wc ever? I dont think so.
* poor form of the host nation
at least they made it to the 2nd round unlike last time with south africa knockout in the 1st round.
* Top 3 decided halfway though the S8 round
No not really, the bangladesh win over SA opened up the s8 a lot NZ could have been knockout with SA and ENG making it in.
what do u think?
No, not the worst world cup ever.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
I have a problem with this current format, i think the 96 WC format was pretty good as it had a Quarter-final too, which meant there were more knock-out games due to which there weren't too many dead games in that WC.

I also can't find any wisdom behind organising 2 big ICC tournaments (C-T & WC) within the gap of 6 months.