• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is it just me that can't wait for the World Cup to end?

pasag

RTDAS
The World Cup might be abit crap but why would you want it to end? Why would you want less cricket?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The tournament hasn't been half as bad as people make out, really. A few organisation problems, and a few too many games, but that's it. I think a "Super Eight" stage is really too long, even if all the eight teams are playing top class cricket. You don't want that many matches in the second phase. Better to have larger groups and a super six sort of format, or alternatively a straight knockout section after the group stages.

Anyway, the crowds have been crap and it's been too long, but there's been nothing much wrong with the cricket IMO, aside from a lack of really close games, which is just luck of the draw. Hopefully we'll see some real thrillers in the knockout section. The tournament would be a bit lacking overall if Australia (for instance) walk both their knockout games and never get challenged, obviously.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't want the World Cup to end, I just want to get back into Test cricket as soon as possible.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
the main reason is super 8 is too long and pointless, i liked the orginal system of having Quarterfinals, its more exciting, They should have made the first round with only 2 groups like they use too.
Which would've meant more games in the Tournament and a lot more mismatches in theory.

burr

State Vice-Captain
If they can stage the Olympics and Football WC in two weeks then they can stage the cricket one in the same time frame. And yes, I am aware ODIs take one day but they will have to simply play some games at the same time. Not like anyone would care. The whole thing's been a non-event for me, but that does have a lot to do with the awful time difference. Still that didn't stop me from watching the FWT in the WI in 95 or the WC in 99. Cricket's lost its spark.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If they can stage the Olympics and Football WC in two weeks then they can stage the cricket one in the same time frame. And yes, I am aware ODIs take one day but they will have to simply play some games at the same time. Not like anyone would care. The whole thing's been a non-event for me, but that does have a lot to do with the awful time difference. Still that didn't stop me from watching the FWT in the WI in 95 or the WC in 99. Cricket's lost its spark.
But they don't

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dude, what world do you live in? Bangladesh beat SA. Could India have done that? No way in hell. Bangladesh - not a team I like very much, I gotta say - have done better at the Super 8s than India would've. I think India might've lost to pretty much all the test teams.

They got thrashed 4-1 in WI just some time ago, remember? By a team that's getting walloped by everyone else.
If Bangladesh can do something, India can.

chris.hinton

International Captain
The World cup as been the worst ever, Woolmer murders has cast a shadow over this.

The first round format was fine how ever the super8 should have been in two groups of 4 with a game a day for the first round of matches and then 2 games on the same day therfore it would have taken about 2 weeks. The tournement would have last for around 30 not 56

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It hasn't been any worse than 2003.

There's nothing wrong with the Super Eights as far as I'm concerned (obviously it didn't work like it was designed to, but it would have under normal circumstances), the problem is with the preliminary group-stages being tacked on to the start.

Langeveldt

Soutie
The crickets been alright, but its been waaaaay to long, appalingly organized and the bare stadiums have been pretty depressing viewing

steds

Hall of Fame Member
the main reason is super 8 is too long and pointless, i liked the orginal system of having Quarterfinals
Agreed. Not with having two groups though. That'd just be like two big, dire Super Eights at the start.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The World cup as been the worst ever, Woolmer murders has cast a shadow over this.

The first round format was fine how ever the super8 should have been in two groups of 4 with a game a day for the first round of matches and then 2 games on the same day therfore it would have taken about 2 weeks. The tournement would have last for around 30 not 56
No, it wouldn't, because there's still the need for reserve days following the criticism last time that they didn't provide for them.

2 games a day would've made no difference to the length of it, because of the time teams need between games for travelling etc.

Beleg

International Regular
I am enjoying the WC, not as much as I would have if Pakistan hadn't been defeated so early but it's pretty interesting nonetheless.

howardj

International Coach
I think perhaps our expectations were a little high. Being frank, there really are not too many decent international teams. For mine, even putting aside their cricketing ability, West Indies, Pakistan, India and England totally lack stomach for the fight. Moreover, there's no desperation to want to get better.

I remember Australia, after their Ashes defeat in 2005, there was incredible purpose an honest, total post mortem and, coming out of that, there was real resolve to address their weaknesses that had been laid bare in England. By contrast, there's very little of that same purpose, that same desperation to address your deficiencies, among other international sides.

Consequently, again leaving aside playing ability, you have half of your 'major' cricketing nations not displaying total intensity during the most important tournament in ODI cricket. Very hard to expect a great World Cup out of that. Don't blame the ICC (it's so easy to bash them all the time). Rather, blame the players of the aforementioned nations.

Last edited:

irfan

State Captain
I think perhaps our expectations were a little high. Being frank, there really are not too many decent international teams. For mine, even putting aside their cricketing ability, West Indies, Pakistan, India and England totally lack stomach for the fight. Moreover, there's no desperation to want to get better.

I remember Australia, after their Ashes defeat in 2005, there was incredible purpose an honest, total post mortem and, coming out of that, there was real resolve to address their weaknesses that had been laid bare in England. By contrast, there's very little of that same purpose, that same desperation to address your deficiencies, among other international sides.

Consequently, again leaving aside playing ability, you have half of your 'major' cricketing nations not displaying total intensity during the most important tournament in ODI cricket. Very hard to expect a great World Cup out of that. Don't blame the ICC (it's so easy to bash them all the time). Rather, blame the players of the aforementioned nations.
Top post .To create a great WC we need 100% commitment from all the teams. You don't hear of Australia getting up to late night frolics unlike England/SouthAfrica.

Greedy666

Cricket Spectator
New Zealand to win world cup????????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA at least someone got a sense of humour in here