• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England: Who should get sacked?

England: Who should get sacked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
It won't surprise anyone to know that there has been a demand for heads after yesterday's flop -but I reckon one guy is lucky. Hardly anyone mentions David "Teflon" Graveney the chairman of selectors although he has been there since 1997 and picked the team for the 1999 WC when we flopped at home (and lets be honest English ODI incompetence - especiallly away from home - predates Fletcher). So whoi should go out of the captain, coach or chairman. All of them? Or none of them?

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It won't surprise anyone to know that there has been a demand for heads after yesterday's flop -but I reckon one guy is lucky. Hardly anyone mentions David "Teflon" Graveney the chairman of selectors although he has been there since 1997 and picked the team for the 1888 WC when we flopped at home (and lets be honest English ODI incompetence - especiallly away from home - predates Fletcher). So whoi should go out of the captain, coach or chairman. All of them? Or none of them?
1888 WC hey. It was a bad one

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah... how could we have lost the WC when we invented limited-overs cricket... 75 years later.

I've said it a few times, I don't see any reason to change the CoS or the coach. I can't see that anyone would do the ODI stuff any differently to how they have, the Press Pack have been by-and-large behind the selection of rubbish like Mahmood.

And as Manan is so fond of saying - it's dangerous to jeapardise your Test performances for the sake of your ODI ones. And it might be easy to forget having just been beaten 5-0 in Australia (something which as I've said many times I feel little fault can be attributed to either for) but England's Test team is still by-and-large not bad.

As for Vaughan, said it loads - he should never, ever have played a single ODI and he's an excellent Test capain who, provided he's back to fitness, should resume the helm of the side.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Surprised you'd say that, TBH.
Vaughan definately needs to go, he has proved beyond doubt that he is a crap ODI batsman and will never amount to much. Fletcher also needs to go, he can't get the balance between Test and ODI cricket to remain as a coach IMO. May as well get rid of Graveney to complete the trifecta, afterall he is the one that continual oversees the selection of guys like Vaughan, Strauss and Joyce.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But the point is that virtually no-one in prominent positions (ie, who would be likely to succeed DF and DG) has been expressing sentiments opposing such moves. The "your best Test players are your best ODI players"; "you shouldn't look at the domestic game, you should pick based on a checklist" is a widely favoured tack, there has been little in the way of dissent there. I honestly don't see that changing whether or not DF and DG are in the big seats.

As for Vaughan, I don't feel he should lose the Test captaincy, not at all. As I say, I never feel he should have played a single ODI (and the case of Mark Butcher shows that such things are not beyond the realms of realism) but "sack" is a pretty all-inclusive term.

Perm

But the point is that virtually no-one in prominent positions (ie, who would be likely to succeed DF and DG) has been expressing sentiments opposing such moves. The "your best Test players are your best ODI players"; "you shouldn't look at the domestic game, you should pick based on a checklist" is a widely favoured tack, there has been little in the way of dissent there. I honestly don't see that changing whether or not DF and DG are in the big seats.

As for Vaughan, I don't feel he should lose the Test captaincy, not at all. As I say, I never feel he should have played a single ODI (and the case of Mark Butcher shows that such things are not beyond the realms of realism) but "sack" is a pretty all-inclusive term.
I didn't mean for Vaughan to be sacked from the whole England setup, just the ODI side. He simply isn't good enough, no excuses can be made. He is a fine Test player and captain and I have no qualms with him remaining in charge of the English Test, but please let him be sacked from the ODI team.

I guess some attitudes are so ingrained in people's thinking that it won't matter who is in charge, the same mistakes will be made. Still, it never hurt anyone to try.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I just wonder whether it will, though. For all their mistakes (mistakes which, as I say, are most certainly not personal matters, more a general reflection of the psyche) Duncan Fletcher especially and David Graveney too have done plenty of good for English cricket. I see no reason to terminate that for the reasons of faults which are shared with much of the masses.

Because that means you remove good for the same of not improving bad.

(If that makes sense)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Get rid of Fletcher. A fresh coach will bring fresh ideas, fresh energy and will at least help us to work out more easily which of the players are worth keeping hold of and which aren't. The current environment is proving an impossible one in which to foster success, meaning that it's particularly hard to judge the value of a player's performance.

The issues that are being caused by certain selection policies would also likely be eradicated, which would mean that it wouldn't be necessary to get rid of Graveney, who's proven to be more than adept at spotting a player in the past, and/or Vaughan, who is clearly a top class captain, despite his batting woes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Exactly which fresh ideas are these that you have in mind?

And what makes you think the team lacks energy?

And personally I'd say I know very well which of the players are worth keeping hold of and which aren't! It's just a case of that becoming irrevocably obvious.

simmy

International Regular
I didn't mean for Vaughan to be sacked from the whole England setup, just the ODI side. He simply isn't good enough, no excuses can be made. He is a fine Test player and captain and I have no qualms with him remaining in charge of the English Test, but please let him be sacked from the ODI team.

I guess some attitudes are so ingrained in people's thinking that it won't matter who is in charge, the same mistakes will be made. Still, it never hurt anyone to try.
Great post.. that I agree with 100%

Scaly piscine

Depends to what degree they're sacked. Graveney and Fletcher should be sacked completely, I really don't see how Graveney would identify talent and I've never seen anything to suggest he's not just a complete waste of space. Fletcher, well it's obvious he should go. Vaughan should go as ODI captain, he's not good enough and his ODI captaincy has been nothing special this World Cup. He should stay on as Test captain for this summer and then reassess after that.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Exactly which fresh ideas are these that you have in mind?

And what makes you think the team lacks energy?

And personally I'd say I know very well which of the players are worth keeping hold of and which aren't! It's just a case of that becoming irrevocably obvious.
I don't know what the fresh ideas are, that's why I'm not applying for the job. :p

As for fresh energy, I was very much in agreement with an article I read the other day on either Cricinfo or BBC Sport (can't for the life of me remember who wrote it, but it was someone respectable) which suggested that the players had grown tired of Duncan Fletcher's methods, and that they had perhaps lost faith in the way Fletcher chooses to approach one-day cricket.

It suggested that more than anything else, the players needed a coach who was going to stimulate their cricketing brains in new ways and encourage them to develop the way they think about the game, rather than allow the players' attitude to stagnate somewhat, resulting in the sort of "do what we usually do" approach we seem to have these days.

In terms of the personnel, I wasn't necessarily saying that the current crop of players are good enough to remain in the side. I just meant that when you have a team that is very much stuck in a rut as England are, it becomes difficult to judge the value of certain players, because some are affected by circumstances more than others.

Every individual performance must be taken in context - just as the performance of a successful batsman in a successful team does not necessarily indicate a world-beating talent, the performance of an unsuccessful batsman in an unsuccessful team does not necessarily indicate that that batsman is incapable of performing better in a different environment, under different circumstances.

You must understand that (in this particular post) I don't intend to pass judgement on England's players, I'm trying to see our circumstances from an objective view.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't know what the fresh ideas are, that's why I'm not applying for the job. :p
IMO unless you have specific examples of what a man has done wrong and how you yourself would have done better \ would do better, you cannot call for his head.
As for fresh energy, I was very much in agreement with an article I read the other day on either Cricinfo or BBC Sport (can't for the life of me remember who wrote it, but it was someone respectable) which suggested that the players had grown tired of Duncan Fletcher's methods, and that they had perhaps lost faith in the way Fletcher chooses to approach one-day cricket.

It suggested that more than anything else, the players needed a coach who was going to stimulate their cricketing brains in new ways and encourage them to develop the way they think about the game, rather than allow the players' attitude to stagnate somewhat, resulting in the sort of "do what we usually do" approach we seem to have these days.
That's about the first coherent explanation of the "stale" stuff I've heard, TBH. Though I still can't see that the Mahmoods et al can do any better by doing what they usually do.

I'm sick, though, of all this implication that the players have grown tired \ lost faith in DF. I've heard it from sooooo many people, both respectible and not, and unless people are actually willing to name some names and tell us exactly who's dissenting I'm not prepared to believe it for a second. It's more than likely to simply be reporters making stuff up to suit what they're trying to say, stuff which cannot be conclusively disproved.
In terms of the personnel, I wasn't necessarily saying that the current crop of players are good enough to remain in the side. I just meant that when you have a team that is very much stuck in a rut as England are, it becomes difficult to judge the value of certain players, because some are affected by circumstances more than others.

Every individual performance must be taken in context - just as the performance of a successful batsman in a successful team does not necessarily indicate a world-beating talent, the performance of an unsuccessful batsman in an unsuccessful team does not necessarily indicate that that batsman is incapable of performing better in a different environment, under different circumstances.

You must understand that (in this particular post) I don't intend to pass judgement on England's players, I'm trying to see our circumstances from an objective view.
Heh. Guess I've just seen plenty enough of the Sajid Mahmoods in all imaginable circumstances to know they're never, ever going to amount to anything.

Poor players = unsuccessful team, IMO. Not the other way around.

prakesh

Banned
Fletcher should not only be sacked...but have his citizenship and MBE revoked.

Vaughan should be retained in order to open in the 20-20 world cup, alongside Peter Such.

Graveney should be sacked unless he grows back his tache before the deadline of the Windies series getting under way

Barney Rubble

International Coach
IMO unless you have specific examples of what a man has done wrong and how you yourself would have done better \ would do better, you cannot call for his head.
Fair enough, I'm not going to be able to change that point of view so I'll move swiftly on.

That's about the first coherent explanation of the "stale" stuff I've heard, TBH. Though I still can't see that the Mahmoods et al can do any better by doing what they usually do.

I'm sick, though, of all this implication that the players have grown tired \ lost faith in DF. I've heard it from sooooo many people, both respectible and not, and unless people are actually willing to name some names and tell us exactly who's dissenting I'm not prepared to believe it for a second. It's more than likely to simply be reporters making stuff up to suit what they're trying to say, stuff which cannot be conclusively disproved.
Firstly, I should explain that the process I described doesn't necessarily involve anyone "dissenting". Usually when one lapses into a state of "going through the motions" in any aspect of life, one isn't aware of it until one snaps out of it.

Secondly, my explanation was borne out of personal experience. I've played in teams that have gone through extended patches of poor form, of varying length. The longest was about two years. It's very easy to fall into the trap of believing that circumstances are not going to change, and that the only way to improve the way you are performing is simply to adjust certain aspects of your own game.

Very few players would immediately turn on their coach, just as very few coaches would immediately turn round and place the blame squarely on the players - the natural reaction for a player when the team aren't playing well is to blame yourselves, especially if you personally aren't scoring runs or taking wickets.

This in turn leads to a lack of confidence, which means improvements in individual performances become even more difficult. It's no coincidence that the members of England's squad who have been succeeding with the bat in recent months have been Kevin Pietersen and Paul Collingwood - Pietersen is the most naturally confident member of the squad as it is, and Collingwood must be an expert in backing himself by now, what with all the people (including myself) who've been all too eager to write him off on more than one occasion.

My basic point is that the players are often completely unaware that the coach is the problem - unless the coach does anything to actively place blame on the players, or uses any methods that are particularly disliked by the players, it is very unlikely that the players are going to see any problem with him. After all, they all enjoy playing cricket, and if they are still enjoying their cricket under the tutelage of a particular coach, the assumption is that the problem lies with the players, and not said coach. It also explains why the England players have still been making all the right noises to the media about Fletcher recently - they still like having him as a coach.

This is what the journalists who talk about a "stale" state among the players - they're perfectly happy to continue under Fletcher, despite the fact they aren't winning games. Clearly there is something wrong with that state of affairs.

Heh. Guess I've just seen plenty enough of the Sajid Mahmoods in all imaginable circumstances to know they're never, ever going to amount to anything.

Poor players = unsuccessful team, IMO. Not the other way around.
Again, whilst you're probably right about Saj, it's not always as simple as "talent will out". Coaching and management are fluid processes, and the right environment has to be present for success to occur. The reason why it is so difficult for teams to snap out of long-term poor form is because anyone who is brought into the team is immediately placed under pressure to succeed, and if their presence in the team does not result in an immediate turn-around in fortunes (which it seldom does), then they can easily be suckered into the same state of mind as the players who've been playing in a losing team for a long time, and the process of bringing them into the side to "liven things up" becomes counter-productive, because all they're doing is having their confidence lowered by playing in a losing team, and making themselves less likely to succeed.

In summary of this extraordinarily long post by my standards, poor form is self-perpetuating - there is no quick fix for any long-term problem in sport, and while sacking Fletcher may not necessarily result in an immediate improvement in results, and while the next coach of England may not be a superior coach to Fletcher, sacking him would, if nothing else, allow the players to make a fresh start without the millstone of responsibility for recent performances around their necks.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Firstly, I should explain that the process I described doesn't necessarily involve anyone "dissenting". Usually when one lapses into a state of "going through the motions" in any aspect of life, one isn't aware of it until one snaps out of it.

Secondly, my explanation was borne out of personal experience. I've played in teams that have gone through extended patches of poor form, of varying length. The longest was about two years. It's very easy to fall into the trap of believing that circumstances are not going to change, and that the only way to improve the way you are performing is simply to adjust certain aspects of your own game.

Very few players would immediately turn on their coach, just as very few coaches would immediately turn round and place the blame squarely on the players - the natural reaction for a player when the team aren't playing well is to blame yourselves, especially if you personally aren't scoring runs or taking wickets.

This in turn leads to a lack of confidence, which means improvements in individual performances become even more difficult. It's no coincidence that the members of England's squad who have been succeeding with the bat in recent months have been Kevin Pietersen and Paul Collingwood - Pietersen is the most naturally confident member of the squad as it is, and Collingwood must be an expert in backing himself by now, what with all the people (including myself) who've been all too eager to write him off on more than one occasion.

My basic point is that the players are often completely unaware that the coach is the problem - unless the coach does anything to actively place blame on the players, or uses any methods that are particularly disliked by the players, it is very unlikely that the players are going to see any problem with him. After all, they all enjoy playing cricket, and if they are still enjoying their cricket under the tutelage of a particular coach, the assumption is that the problem lies with the players, and not said coach. It also explains why the England players have still been making all the right noises to the media about Fletcher recently - they still like having him as a coach.

This is what the journalists who talk about a "stale" state among the players - they're perfectly happy to continue under Fletcher, despite the fact they aren't winning games. Clearly there is something wrong with that state of affairs.

Again, whilst you're probably right about Saj, it's not always as simple as "talent will out". Coaching and management are fluid processes, and the right environment has to be present for success to occur. The reason why it is so difficult for teams to snap out of long-term poor form is because anyone who is brought into the team is immediately placed under pressure to succeed, and if their presence in the team does not result in an immediate turn-around in fortunes (which it seldom does), then they can easily be suckered into the same state of mind as the players who've been playing in a losing team for a long time, and the process of bringing them into the side to "liven things up" becomes counter-productive, because all they're doing is having their confidence lowered by playing in a losing team, and making themselves less likely to succeed.

In summary of this extraordinarily long post by my standards, poor form is self-perpetuating - there is no quick fix for any long-term problem in sport, and while sacking Fletcher may not necessarily result in an immediate improvement in results, and while the next coach of England may not be a superior coach to Fletcher, sacking him would, if nothing else, allow the players to make a fresh start without the millstone of responsibility for recent performances around their necks.
Don't think that said long posts are a bad thing. :) It was very interesting.

Something I cannot get away from is that the losses are not a result of Duncan Fletcher, at all. Think about the last 2 years without the injuries to Vaughan, Jones and the like. It's all very easy to say "ah, injuries, excuses" - that's nonsense IMO, any side which suffers such large-scale injuries WILL suffer and to berate them for doing so is stupid.

But think about it regardless. Would we have been as poor? No way. And think about something else, too - this summer we're well on track to have the best (Test) side we've had since 2005. We have a good chance to get winning again, and shake-off this "losing mentality" we were in such danger of getting into. We have this chance regardless of who the coach is. If we keep Duncan Fletcher, we keep the many things no-one disputes he has brought to the English game. We also have the chance to start winning games, and get out of that "stale" state.

Being as we English are, however, ie the instinct that long-term stability is never an option, I can't help feeling his time is up.