• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Andrew Strauss ever be a success in ODIs?

Can Strauss ever be a successful ODI batsman?

• Total voters

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I believe Strauss to be one of our finest Test players, in fact there's very few openers as good as him IMO. However, in ODIs he's not really done anything of note since first breaking into the side, and is threatening to turn into Vaughan II. He is 30, I believe, so it's not like he has untapped potential. Can Strauss ever be a success in our ODI side?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can't see it myself, is almost exactly the same as Vaughan in having a crap List-A-OD record when picked for ODIs and never doing anything of note.

Only difference is Strauss was picked before his Test debut.

Bat him four, three or at the top - no difference IMO. He's hopeless at the shorter game. But I'll honestly be surprised if he's not in the squad for the next ODI series, too. :down:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The amount of polls specifically directed at England fans is making me feel a bit excluded TBH, especially the last two which anyone can clearly have an opinion on without being an England fan.

Anyway, my answer is no, but I didn't vote obviously.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, Martyn was just copying me here, obviously.

I specifically directed the Vaughan one at England fans because they tended to be the only ones who were ever claiming Vaughan was ODI-class.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The amount of polls specifically directed at England fans is making me feel a bit excluded TBH, especially the last two which anyone can clearly have an opinion on without being an England fan.

Anyway, my answer is no, but I didn't vote obviously.
Please do vote. I have reported my post requesting a subject change :)

Your views are, of course, always welcome

pasag

RTDAS
Rodgie's not going be involved in anything for a while it seems.

Anyways I think Strauss will do well in ODIs but it's really a gut feeling though. Don't kill me.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Poor old Rodgie...

Indeed.

Don't know why I feel sorry for him when he's banned, I never do when he's posting... ah well... :mellow:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha at Rodgie, deserved IMO. Anyway I don't think Strauss has the ability to become an ODI class batsman.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think he will be better than VAughan but that's not saying much, is it?

But I hope he can become a good ODI player. Will complete the England side, if he does that.............

and if they can find a Glenn McGrath and a Shane Warne. ;) :p

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
He's deffinately a better ODI player than Vaughan, but thats not difficult. He might suceed time to time, but never on par with the Ponting's and Lara's of this world.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
No. He, nor Vaughan, have the range of aggressive strokes that allow them the versatility to score at a quick rate from the get-go. Especially down the ground.

They are players who "have their zones" with regards to scoring, and they are patient, happy to wait until the bowler bowls in those zones. This works really well in Test cricket, but in ODIs they rely on these few strokes for too long in their innings.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I am truly astounded that after 12 votes it was 6-6! :blink:
And it's now 8-6 to yes he will...

CW's general crowd has gone down in my estimation.

Especially astounded at Whelan, Gelman and Dasa. Love the way, too, that GIMH hasn't voted on his own poll...

open365

International Vice-Captain
Nope, if a player of Strauss' quality can't do it in 77 games, i see no reason why he'll suddenly improve now, whatever is wrong with his ODI play i think by now it's something far too ingrained in his playing style/mental style for him to be able to change.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Back to 10-all at the moment... still, :-O though.

Bowman - Strauss? ODIs? Quality? Methinks not.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
And it's now 8-6 to yes he will...

CW's general crowd has gone down in my estimation.

Especially astounded at Whelan, Gelman and Dasa. Love the way, too, that GIMH hasn't voted on his own poll...
I often don't vote on my own polls tbh

Although if I did, I would vote no