• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Andrew Strauss ever be a success in ODIs?

Can Strauss ever be a successful ODI batsman?

• Total voters

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very much depends on the makeup of top 3

3 "stodgy" players and there will be too much pressure on one or more of them to change their game to up the tempo. Chances are that it will result in failure

FBU

International Debutant
I don't think so. He likes to cut and pull and hardly hits down the ground. The Australians have worked him out and have cut off his scoring opportunities and the bowlers come round the wicket to him and cramp him up. I think a wristy player like Bopara will be more successful.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Very much depends on the makeup of top 3

3 "stodgy" players and there will be too much pressure on one or more of them to change their game to up the tempo. Chances are that it will result in failure
Put 2 strokeplayers around Strauss and the likelihood is he'll still fail, he just doesn't have the game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The title clearly states "Will Andrew Strauss ever be a success in ODIs?"

Trouble is, Martyn has phrased his poll and his thread slightly differently, which is indeed confusing...

Matt79

Global Moderator
I voted "Yes" as in "Yes, he can". But I think he will probably not do so.

And by success, I mean - "not a freakin embarrassment" and no more.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I think he can

I dont know of any other batsman who appears to have lost his confidence with one spell of captaincy, as badly as Strauss.

It maybe something else but he has clearly lost his belief in himself.

If he gets it back he will be one of England's finest.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't believe the captaincy has anything to do with Strauss' ODI form. He was mostly poor before the captaincy was a serious option.

And I'm still astounded that "Yes" is winning... :mellow: Maybe if Martyn had phrased the poll-Q as the thread-title things might be different...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Cut me some slack here Richa\rd, do you think I don't feel guilty about it already? :laugh: