• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ENGLAND FANS: do you still think Vaughan can hack it in ODIs?

Can Vaughan make it in ODIs?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Says it all, really... given that, up to 2007 and the CB Series, there were still those on this board claiming Vaughan was on track to make it as a ODI player (based on this)... does anyone still feel he can keep his place into next summer and start to hack the shorter game?

:blink:

DCC_legend

International Regular
No- Based on the inconsistancy (sp?) of his scores. Yes, he had a few decent scores, but none of those he has managed to convert into hundreds.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No, he is woefully inept. Not sure what his List A record is like, but it can't be too flash.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
His List-A record's almost as poor as his ODI one, and when he was picked way back in 2001 I said such a thing (though obviously not on CW as the place wasn't around yet) and said that he should never, ever have been selected for ODIs because of it.

DCC_legend

International Regular
No, he is woefully inept. Not sure what his List A record is like, but it can't be too flash.
Code:
List A  -	269 	260 	25 	6700 	125* 	28.51 	 3     41   82   0
You were right, it isn't too flash with an average of 28.51.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
No - and what rarely gets mentioned is his list A record which is nearly as crap as his ODI record:
Matches - 269
Innings - 260
Not out - 25
Runs - 6700
HS - 125
Average - 28.51 :@
100s - 3:@
50s - 41
it is quite clear that this is not a guy who is brilliant in domestic cricket but can't hack ODIs - he just can't play one-day cricket period. And if he can't play it at 32, why on earth does anyone think he'll suddenly be able to? If he was not the captain he would have been out on his ear ages ago with that record...

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Says it all, really... given that, up to 2007 and the CB Series, there were still those on this board claiming Vaughan was on track to make it as a ODI player (based on this)... does anyone still feel he can keep his place into next summer and start to hack the shorter game?

:blink:
I believe Marc use to like using that statistic as a vindication of Vaughan's talent, when the injured captain was routinely criticised by me for being absolutely ****e. Hopefully Marc’ opinion has changed for anyone who claims Vaughan has a place in a ODI side is beyond the realms of insane.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Marc might have been the main one I was thinking of with this thread, but he certainly wasn't an exclusive entity.

And he was actually saying such a thing before Vaughan got injured, too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I do think it was probably just coincidence, the rules are the same regardless of the colour of the ball, but it's a funny little one in any case.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'll make that one, if you want

Vaughan should probably step down from ODIs, the only problem is I desperately want him to continue as Test captain, and I don't believe the selectors are all that fussed on splitting the captaincy again. Also, I'm not sure who would captain the ODI side; Flintoff's been sacked, Strauss is no longer assured a place in the side and Trescothick would probably be lucky just to play for us again. Basically it would have to be Collingwood, who as far as I know has no captaincy experience. Nonetheless, no, Vaughan should not play ODIs

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Would've rathered a poll:

ENGLAND FANS: do you still think Strauss can make it in ODIs?
Might have done, but Strauss has been almost universally denounced on this board as a ODI batsman in my experience.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maybe, but if so only by a small amount, and to be so is hardly a notable achievement!!! :dry:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd have to say the results of this poll are fairly inconclusive...