• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Selectors should pick Atapattu Over Tharanga

Should selectors pick Atapattu Over Tharanga??

• Yes

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Play Atapattu and Tharanga but Drop Arnold

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Bangladesh bowling attack is not that bad really, its their batting that lets them down. More often then not the Kiwi bowling attack will restrict them to far lower total. But really when you consider Bond wasn't that fit in that series the gap isn't that significant. The Bangladesh bowlers have some pretty good records really, Razzaq (22 Ave), Mortaza (29), Rasel (26), Rafique (39), Hasan (30). Really its not a minnow bowling attack anymore.
No but it's turned into a bit of a minnow bashing bowling attack. Razzaq and Mortaza were two of the leading ODI wicket takers last year, primarily due to the number of games played against Kenya and Zimbabwe, opponents that are quite clearly inferior to Bangladesh. I'm not trying to say that the Bangladesh attack is bad, I just don't think it is up to the level that the Black Caps attack was, especially in terms of depth.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This is a ridiculous argument. Kyle Mills is a very good ODI bowler and has improved significantly throughout his career. He was fairly average for a lot of his career, granted, but he had improved astronomically just before getting injured. That NZ attack was infinitely better than anything Bangladesh have ever put out - there's no comparison.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
No but it's turned into a bit of a minnow bashing bowling attack. Razzaq and Mortaza were two of the leading ODI wicket takers last year, primarily due to the number of games played against Kenya and Zimbabwe, opponents that are quite clearly inferior to Bangladesh. I'm not trying to say that the Bangladesh attack is bad, I just don't think it is up to the level that the Black Caps attack was, especially in terms of depth.
If your going to downgrade Razzaq and Mortaza bowling perforamces due to the fact they played a fair few games against lower sides, then would one have to do the same for Mills. His average of 13 against Bangladesh and 19 against Zimbabwe would have a fairly significant effect.

There no doubt that the Black Caps bowling attack is better, but what really annoys me is when people downgrade someone performance as it was against someone like Bangladesh and they don't look at the team itself. Most of the Bangladesh bowlers have got far better records in ODIs then a lot of bowlers around the world and its not just cus they played a lot of matches against lower sides. Just cus the bowling attack was Bangladesh doesn't mean it worse then any other bowling attack. IMO Tharanga century against Bangladesh was of higher quality then ones against Engand, cus it was against better bowlers.

Perm

If your going to downgrade Razzaq and Mortaza bowling perforamces due to the fact they played a fair few games against lower sides, then would one have to do the same for Mills. His average of 13 against Bangladesh and 19 against Zimbabwe would have a fairly significant effect.
His average after removing games against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe stands at 30, which is mediocre, I agree, but you can tell he was definately on the path to improvement before his knee injury. He took 16 wickets at an average of 15 and an economy rate of 4.2 in 2006, which is a fine effort considering he was playing some of the better ODI sides (Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Australia) and didn't play a single game against a minnow.

There no doubt that the Black Caps bowling attack is better, but what really annoys me is when people downgrade someone performance as it was against someone like Bangladesh and they don't look at the team itself. Most of the Bangladesh bowlers have got far better records in ODIs then a lot of bowlers around the world and its not just cus they played a lot of matches against lower sides. Just cus the bowling attack was Bangladesh doesn't mean it worse then any other bowling attack. IMO Tharanga century against Bangladesh was of higher quality then ones against Engand, cus it was against better bowlers.
I try not to downgrade people's acheivements against Bangladesh but the fact of the matter is, they are a minnow side and their bowing attack is weaker than an ODI standard team. Tharanga's second century against Bangladesh was certainly better, made against a pretty good bowling attack. His first one was made against a rubbish lineup, just like his two against England. That is why people say he has never really stood up against the big teams, apart from the one good series of New Zealand. He scored two centuries against England, and not many people rate them highly which is fair enough considering the bowling attack he was faced with.

Evermind

International Debutant
Never looked anything special to me and i know numbers are ok, but they don't always tell the story. Vettori is fair greater then Mills and his numbers are a lot worse. Maharoof got some pretty good numbers, but his really average. Looking at that bowling attack Carins was also past it. Stryris might be bowling well now, but overall his not that great. So really it leaves Bond, was like his first series back, Vettori and Oram. Not the greatest attack really, the current Bangladesh attack would be on par really.
Yeah, cause everyone knows Mortaza is on par with Bond, and Rafique with Vettori.

pup11

International Coach
Mortaza on par with Bond and Rafique on par with Vettori, you are kidding right Evermind??

There is no point in playing Attapatu (instead of Tharanga) straight away in a crunch game like the semi-final without any match practice, it won't be wise move.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sam, my friend, that is positively the most valuable pic ever posted on this forum (including even this one) and should be used at least twice a day.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Any attack with Mills = minnow
I hope your joking.
I've bashed Kyle Mills a million times and there's no doubt he was extremely poor for one hell of a long time but there's no disputing he was much better in the recent past just before his injury.

A quite remarkable turnaround, TBH. I'm still not sure it'll continue, but you've got to give him credit for his recent performances.

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
Tharanga will def. play in semis, not Marvan....this is according to Ashantha De Mel, chairman of selectors....so its a reliable source, and not a great surprise.

Perm

Tharanga will def. play in semis, not Marvan....this is according to Ashantha De Mel, chairman of selectors....so its a reliable source, and not a great surprise.
Good to hear, it would be too much of a risk playing Atapattu at this stage. You do have to feel sorry for Marvan, this will probably be his last tour with Sri Lanka and he doesn't get a game.

Lostman

State Captain
What a great innings under pressure by tharanga today, considering that half the country was out for his head today. If I remeber correctly i think when SL were on 110, Tharanga was at 70. Attapatu was good ODI player a few years ago but in todays game there is no place for a 60s/r. Great work by Mahela, Moody and de Mel by keeping faith in a promising talent when it would have been so much easier to go the safer route and pick a veteran. Tharanga over Attapatu in ODI's is a no brainer

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Its also still quite possible that without Tharanga, Sri Lanka may not have made the final.

Tharanga is a better choice than Atapattu, far out Sri Lanka's line-up can lack quick scorers as is, and if Jayasuriya falls early they severely lack it. Tharanga fits into the SL team quite well. He's no world class ODI opening batsman, but yesterday's knock, and his knock against India were both vital in those victories which played a big part in SL getting to where they are at in this tournament.