Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bad feeling England just might get lucky again.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    He's no more a quality batsman than someone like Collingwood is. They're hard workers who've become decent/good players, but there is no great quality about their batting. Styris has been saved by the rubbishness of the pitches that make the short ball ineffective.
    So why have only two batsmen in the tournament outscored him?

Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    So why have only two batsmen in the tournament outscored him?
    Form is temporary, class is permanent etc.

As well as the pitches being rubbish and making it easy for anyone to not get out, but difficult to score and the short ball being somewhat nullified.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Form is temporary, class is permanent etc.
    So he's in one hell of a good patch, averaging 38.41 since the start of the 2003 World Cup.

So he's in one hell of a good patch, averaging 38.41 since the start of the 2003 World Cup.
    Which is pushed up a lot by you hand picking the starting point and including this World Cup where the pitches are ideal for a middle order batsman who doesn't handle the short ball well.

I could pick from 4th January 2004 til this World Cup started and he averages 30.04.

Which is pushed up a lot by you hand picking the starting point and including this World Cup where the pitches are ideal for a middle order batsman who doesn't handle the short ball well.

I could pick from 4th January 2004 til this World Cup started and he averages 30.04.
    I believe your sample is slightly more selective than mine, in which I chose the start of the last World Cup as the starting point.

You chose to start mid-series, conveniently just one day after what was in my opinion his best ever ODI innings on a bowler-friendly pitch on 3rd January 2004.

An idea of the bowler-friendliness of the pitch:
    Oram 10 3 28 2
    Styris 10 3 34 3

I believe you've suggested in the past that these two bowlers only succeed when they have conditions to suit.
    Last edited by _Ed_; 16-04-2007 at 05:02 PM.

I believe your sample is slightly more selective than mine, in which I chose the start of the last World Cup as the starting point.

You chose to start mid-series, conveniently just one day after what was in my opinion his best ever ODI innings on a bowler-friendly pitch on 3rd January 2004.

An idea of the bowler-friendliness of the pitch:
    Oram 10 3 28 2
    Styris 10 3 34 3

I believe you've suggested in the past that these two bowlers only succeed when they have conditions to suit.
    You fail to mention the batsman-friendliness of Pakistan's bowling attack. But anyway I'm glad you noticed how you can twist stats. I don't recall saying anything about those two needing conditions to succeed. The gist of what I said was when conditions at this World Cup make Styris' bowling highly effective the pitches are obviously crap.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information