• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bad feeling England just might get lucky again.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's no more a quality batsman than someone like Collingwood is. They're hard workers who've become decent/good players, but there is no great quality about their batting. Styris has been saved by the rubbishness of the pitches that make the short ball ineffective.
So why have only two batsmen in the tournament outscored him?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So why have only two batsmen in the tournament outscored him?
Form is temporary, class is permanent etc.

As well as the pitches being rubbish and making it easy for anyone to not get out, but difficult to score and the short ball being somewhat nullified.

Scaly piscine

So he's in one hell of a good patch, averaging 38.41 since the start of the 2003 World Cup.
Which is pushed up a lot by you hand picking the starting point and including this World Cup where the pitches are ideal for a middle order batsman who doesn't handle the short ball well.

I could pick from 4th January 2004 til this World Cup started and he averages 30.04.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Which is pushed up a lot by you hand picking the starting point and including this World Cup where the pitches are ideal for a middle order batsman who doesn't handle the short ball well.

I could pick from 4th January 2004 til this World Cup started and he averages 30.04.
I believe your sample is slightly more selective than mine, in which I chose the start of the last World Cup as the starting point.

You chose to start mid-series, conveniently just one day after what was in my opinion his best ever ODI innings on a bowler-friendly pitch on 3rd January 2004.

An idea of the bowler-friendliness of the pitch:
Oram 10 3 28 2
Styris 10 3 34 3

I believe you've suggested in the past that these two bowlers only succeed when they have conditions to suit.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

I believe your sample is slightly more selective than mine, in which I chose the start of the last World Cup as the starting point.

You chose to start mid-series, conveniently just one day after what was in my opinion his best ever ODI innings on a bowler-friendly pitch on 3rd January 2004.

An idea of the bowler-friendliness of the pitch:
Oram 10 3 28 2
Styris 10 3 34 3

I believe you've suggested in the past that these two bowlers only succeed when they have conditions to suit.
You fail to mention the batsman-friendliness of Pakistan's bowling attack. But anyway I'm glad you noticed how you can twist stats. I don't recall saying anything about those two needing conditions to succeed. The gist of what I said was when conditions at this World Cup make Styris' bowling highly effective the pitches are obviously crap.