• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bad feeling England just might get lucky again.

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah agree with BLE. I really don't like this England ODI side very much (as opposed to the Test side which I respect and admire) and them winning the WC would be tragic in my books.

Matt79

Global Moderator
my wife just asked who "BLE" is and I explained. Her response "how sad would you have to be to get banned for being an idiot and then keep on rejoining and doing the same thing. I mean get a life".

Says it all really...

LA ICE-E

State Captain
I didn't say there hasn't been good cricket but to date there has been a depressingly small amount for what is meant to be the showcase of the one day game.
there's been a lot of good fielding though and also a double hattrick...but all these are overshadowed by empty stands and the death.

how is that a good thing?
no but isn't any worse either and irish games in the beginning of the super 8's weren't one sided, only the last one or two.

Doing nothing of the sort. Ireland and Bangladesh earnt their way into the Super 8, and I'm not for one minute saying that they don't "deserve" to be there - you win you deserve to go through. All credit to Ireland and Bangladesh for that.

I am however certainly cricitising India and Pakistan for their pathetic showing in this tournament. The Cup would have undoubtedly been a better tournament and we would have seen more competitive and better standard of cricket IF India and Pakistan had played to anywhere near their potential. They didn't do so and were deservedly eliminated, but its a shame they couldn't produce the kind of cricket their squads should be capable of. I don't think you can argue that the tournament would not have been better if they had done so.

I think Ireland's performances since then have shown that Ireland are a game, committed team that their country should be proud of. That said, they were only able to beat Pakistan because Pakistan dramatically underperformed.
Fair enough, but remember that ireland almost beat SA in the warm ups so they could have beaten pakistan even if they didn't "dramatically underperformed".
It would be good if this wasn't the 3rd WC in a row where Australia wins after their opponents fail to show up.
Well i wouldn't mind if australia won after a bowl-out! I would rather have people remember the wc as the 3rd in row for the aussies than how not to run a tournament. That said we need a bowl out in the final and every one would forget about the negatives...

LA ICE-E

State Captain
my wife just asked who "BLE" is and I explained. Her response "how sad would you have to be to get banned for being an idiot and then keep on rejoining and doing the same thing. I mean get a life".

Says it all really...
who's "BLE"?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Hmm. South Africa have kept crapping up which means they deserve to not have more points than they do at the moment. Now it all comes down to who wins the crucial matches remaining which is fair enough for me.

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Personally I actually think it'd be horrific if we won this World Cup. We'd only end up doing exactly what we did after winning the Ashes, which was allow the team to sit back for 3 months and do nothing, resulting in some shocking performances provoked by huge levels of complacency.

England's ODI side need a massive kick up the backside. If Duncan Fletcher won't deliver it, maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing if South Africa do on Monday.

Matt79

Global Moderator
What's a bowl-out? I assumed you'd made a typo writing "blow-out".

How did Ireland go against South Africa in the Super 8s? Warm up games are just that, and they frequently bear little resemblance to the real thing. That South African side has since gone on to lose to Bangladesh - another example of bad underperformance, albeit not in the same league as Pakistan vs Ireland, and are not nearly as good a team outside of South Africa as the ICC rankings and the mainstream media make them out to be.

I'm a fan of Ireland, but the reality is that their squad is nowhere near the strength of any of the Test-nations. Now obviously matches are not decided on paper, hence we get upsets and hence sport is worth watching - but Pakistan SHOULD have been able to beat Ireland easily. They didn't and it cost them and deservedly so, but I don't think it diminishes Ireland's achievement to acknowledge that Pakistan were shocking.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Personally I actually think it'd be horrific if we won this World Cup. We'd only end up doing exactly what we did after winning the Ashes, which was allow the team to sit back for 3 months and do nothing, resulting in some shocking performances provoked by huge levels of complacency.

England's ODI side need a massive kick up the backside. If Duncan Fletcher won't deliver it, maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing if South Africa do on Monday.
Well if they win the next fourth matches in a row to win the Cup, they'll have to string together some decent performances against good teams, so in a sense they wouldn't be totally undeserving. In some ways it would be similar to Australia in the 99 WC, although a shorter winning streak. But yeah, to date they certainly don't deserve to be in the semis, let alone win the cup.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
it is like 20/20 is called pro20 sometimes...but is bowl-out used in any twenty20 match after a tie or just in knockouts?
Any Twenty20 game I think, regardless of whether it is in a knockout competition or not.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Bowl-out

Another reason why Twenty20 is dire.

Edit: Clip, go to 1 minute mark. Lol at the celebrations as well.
Haha - pathetic! If its a tie, there should be a replay.

EDIT: because I've often thought that what cricket needs is some of the aspects of soccer that suck! 8-)

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
Bowl-out

Another reason why Twenty20 is dire.

Edit: Clip, go to 1 minute mark. Lol at the celebrations as well.
:laugh:

What a class celebration, champagne moment for me. Ripping the shirt off and whirling it over your head while running around like a nutcase has to be a good release!

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Haha - pathetic! If its a tie, there should be a replay.

EDIT: because I've often thought that what cricket needs is some of the aspects of soccer that suck! 8-)
i think penalties are the best part of soccer, the rest is just boring; except some of the tricks but boring for the most part otherwise.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Reducing either a 90 minute football match or a 100-over cricket match to the extent that the match is decided by some glorified target practice is an awful way to break a tie and a pretty hollow way to win (I mean, you're still happy to have won, but really, it doesn't compare to beating a team in normal time/overs whatever).

I agree with you in general about soccer btw, but that's off-topic and is going to get both of us into hot water.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Reducing either a 90 minute football match or a 100-over cricket match to the extent that the match is decided by some glorified target practice is an awful way to break a tie and a pretty hollow way to win (I mean, you're still happy to have won, but really, it doesn't compare to beating a team in normal time/overs whatever).

I agree with you in general about soccer btw, but that's off-topic and is going to get both of us into hot water.
think of it like this. Nowadays it's the batman who gets most of the things, batting pitches, small grounds etc. so let the bowler have some glory and something that's a showcase just for them. A tribute to the modern bowlers with all these harsh treatment from the bat.