• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Man of the Series

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I assume that it will be selected after the final, because that would mean all the games have been played.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
but if i remember correctly i think in the last few WC it was chosen before the semis.
Seems absurd that they would chose it before the semifinals, but I doubt that they would have done that in the past. Perhaps you're memory isn't too flash?

Lostman

State Captain
i dont think they announce who won it, but im almost 100% certain that during the 96 and 99 WC the MOS had already been chosen before the semis.
03 one im not too sure though.

Nishant

International 12th Man
i dont think they announce who won it, but im almost 100% certain that during the 96 and 99 WC the MOS had already been chosen before the semis.
03 one im not too sure though.
03 was in the final...i think i remember that!

pup11

International Coach
Man of the series works on a points system and these points are given on the basis of number of votes a player gets from the panel of commentrators for the the man of the match award(atleast thats what Barry Richards was saying while commentating during yesterday's game), currently McGrath is leading that points table.

P.S: Every match would be taken into account to elected the MOS, so i think the MOS would be selected after the finals.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
It should be Styris. Unreal performances.
When they showed the current points last night McGrath has 12, Styris had 9.

Styris must have either got 1 or 2 points from his efforts last night so it should be pretty close now between McGrath and Styris, like 12-11 or something.

Thats if my assumption of a 3-2-1 points system is correct.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I thought in previous World Cups, they announced a list of nominations prior to the semis, and then announced the winner at the end of the Cup. Or something like that.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
My pick right now would be Hayden or Styris, but the big games are still to come, so it could change dramatically.

Different if its based on a points system, though.

pup11

International Coach
Still the big game are left and if Styris or McGrath falter in those game then they won't get it, You never know somebody like Ponting,Murali or Hayden (on current form) or for that matter any other big match players could finish the tournament with a bang.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Are you sure? In 99 it was Klusener, and what was surely his best performance was in the semi.

pup11

International Coach
I have a feeling Haydos might once again score big in the remaining games, even yesterday he was looking really good to get a big one, so he is definately in the running.

Punter and Styris are also going pretty steadily atm, but Pidge has got 20 WC wickets and he is looking good for some more so he has to be the frontrunner atm.

Its about time a bowler gets a MOS award in an ICC tournament.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
McGrath's clear advantage is his consistency, given the points system. He hasn't been best afield in too many games, but he's taken wickets with amazing regularity, both early in his spell and at the death. I don't think he's had the biggest impact at the WC, but it's not hard to see why he'd be ahead on points.

It's an unfortunate way to decide things in such a tournament, given that a best afield effort against Bermuda counts the same as it would in the semi or the final.