• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Man of the Series

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
During the Australia v NZ game the current standings on the Player of the tournament was shown very briefly , and McGrath is way ahead.

If I remember McGrath was on 12 , Someone else on 9 (could by Styris or Hayden) and Mahela Jayawardene was 3rd on 8 points.

Apparently the commentators give 3 , 2 , 1 point after each game to three players and these have been tallied so far to give the above score.

I would think unless those within striking distance of McGrath do a Man of the Match performance in the next 2 games and McGrath fails to score a single point in the next 2 games, he has pretty much nailed the player of the World Cup award.

pasag

RTDAS
Hayden so far for mine. Doesn't look like he'll get close on the point system though, which is a pity.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Are you sure? In 99 it was Klusener, and what was surely his best performance was in the semi.
Personally I thought Klusener's best performance was against Pakistan in that world cup. Pakistan hadn't beaten SA in a very long time, but they had them beat before Klusener came on and completely stole the game. He had no reason to have such a great 8th wicket partnership, but he was cool and calm and read the situation brilliantly.

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/...UPSIX/PAK_RSA_WC99_ODI-SUPSIX2_05JUN1999.html

That was that game. However, he's a contender in the semis since he came in when wickets were falling left and right and quick runs with big hits were needed. Maybe Paul Riefel dropping him sort of colours this performance for me.

I'll go on to say that Klusener, in the 1999 world cup, performed unlike any other ODI player I have ever seen. LOVED WATCHING HIM! But this is beisdes the point, Man of the Tournament usually goes to a team that's gone very far, irrespective of how the team goes. I think MOTT is decided after the last match. It just so happens it was a ridiculous no-brainer in 1999.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Oh and yeah, despite what may happen in the last two matches, I think Hayden has it wrapped up.

I can't quite see Ponting beating Hayden for it. I've seen Kallis make a lot of runs, but not in a dominant manner. Doubt Jayasuria could sneak it, though he has been great.

I think if somebody will beat Hayden it'll be a bowler. McGrath has over 20 wickets at around 14, and he's gone quite unnoticed interestingly enough. If he had a massive last two games he could get it. Malinga could get it if he had a big last two games, but I also doubt it. Plus he missed a game.

I think Hayden's biggest challenger is the great Murali... but Murali would have to be the #1 reason why Sri Lanka win the world cup in the last two games. Malinga really has been as effective as Murali in this world cup, and Jayasuria has gotten Sri Lanka off to flyers. Murali needs to stand out as the clear #1 and be the reason they win to topple Hayden.

After 10 games, really Matthew Hayden is well ahead of the pack and I think he should get it. Something special would have to hapen for him to not get it.

The_Bunny

State Regular
Oh and yeah, despite what may happen in the last two matches, I think Hayden has it wrapped up.

I can't quite see Ponting beating Hayden for it. I've seen Kallis make a lot of runs, but not in a dominant manner. Doubt Jayasuria could sneak it, though he has been great.

I think if somebody will beat Hayden it'll be a bowler. McGrath has over 20 wickets at around 14, and he's gone quite unnoticed interestingly enough. If he had a massive last two games he could get it. Malinga could get it if he had a big last two games, but I also doubt it. Plus he missed a game.

I think Hayden's biggest challenger is the great Murali... but Murali would have to be the #1 reason why Sri Lanka win the world cup in the last two games. Malinga really has been as effective as Murali in this world cup, and Jayasuria has gotten Sri Lanka off to flyers. Murali needs to stand out as the clear #1 and be the reason they win to topple Hayden.

After 10 games, really Matthew Hayden is well ahead of the pack and I think he should get it. Something special would have to hapen for him to not get it.
Glen Mcgrath has 3 more points than anyone else:)

simmy

International Regular
No offence to McGrath but this award should be going to Hayden or Styris.

This point system is very generous to him.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No offence to McGrath but this award should be going to Hayden or Styris.

This point system is very generous to him.
Agree, I know McGrath has been good but Hayden has been simply amazing. Scott Styris (together with Bond) has basically held this Black Caps side together.

GGG

State Captain
Yeah Hayden for me, McGrath has been his consistent self but Hayden has been more dominant .

pup11

International Coach
I won't mind whether the award goes to McGrath or Haydos because both have been superb in their own right.

Haydos has never looked any better in ODI cricket and McGrath is showing the stuff legends are made of.

Though i would love McGrath to win the award as it would be a fitting (final) reward for all that he has achieved through his career.

FILOCRICKET

Banned
For me I would say Mat Hayden. Hes head and shoulders above the rest, in one of the best forms in his career right now.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It was a joke based on simmy's obsession with a player who has done little of note in any cricket thus far.
Realised it was probably a joke, but I didn't get it. Haven't thought simmy was obsessed with Broad myself TBH.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Mahela now on 11 points (only 1 point behind McGrath) - and certainly giving McGrath a run for this award.

It now looks like a 4 way contest between McGrath on 12 points, Mahela 11 points,
Hayden 9 points and Kallis 8 points, with Mcgrath having the advantage and the lead .