Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man of the Series

Quote Originally Posted by Lostman View Post
    i dont think they announce who won it, but im almost 100% certain that during the 96 and 99 WC the MOS had already been chosen before the semis.
    Are you sure? In 99 it was Klusener, and what was surely his best performance was in the semi.

Pig > Pigeon

I mean, come on, Pig came before Pigeon. Pigeon is just a copycat

Quote Originally Posted by Evermind View Post
    Styris for me (anyone but McGrath or Hayden or some Aussie).
    Seconded

I have a feeling Haydos might once again score big in the remaining games, even yesterday he was looking really good to get a big one, so he is definately in the running.

Punter and Styris are also going pretty steadily atm, but Pidge has got 20 WC wickets and he is looking good for some more so he has to be the frontrunner atm.

Its about time a bowler gets a MOS award in an ICC tournament.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    McGrath's clear advantage is his consistency, given the points system. He hasn't been best afield in too many games, but he's taken wickets with amazing regularity, both early in his spell and at the death. I don't think he's had the biggest impact at the WC, but it's not hard to see why he'd be ahead on points.

It's an unfortunate way to decide things in such a tournament, given that a best afield effort against Bermuda counts the same as it would in the semi or the final.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

During the Australia v NZ game the current standings on the Player of the tournament was shown very briefly , and McGrath is way ahead.

If I remember McGrath was on 12 , Someone else on 9 (could by Styris or Hayden) and Mahela Jayawardene was 3rd on 8 points.

Apparently the commentators give 3 , 2 , 1 point after each game to three players and these have been tallied so far to give the above score.

I would think unless those within striking distance of McGrath do a Man of the Match performance in the next 2 games and McGrath fails to score a single point in the next 2 games, he has pretty much nailed the player of the World Cup award.

Hayden so far for mine. Doesn't look like he'll get close on the point system though, which is a pity.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Are you sure? In 99 it was Klusener, and what was surely his best performance was in the semi.
    Personally I thought Klusener's best performance was against Pakistan in that world cup. Pakistan hadn't beaten SA in a very long time, but they had them beat before Klusener came on and completely stole the game. He had no reason to have such a great 8th wicket partnership, but he was cool and calm and read the situation brilliantly.

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/W...05JUN1999.html

That was that game. However, he's a contender in the semis since he came in when wickets were falling left and right and quick runs with big hits were needed. Maybe Paul Riefel dropping him sort of colours this performance for me.

I'll go on to say that Klusener, in the 1999 world cup, performed unlike any other ODI player I have ever seen. LOVED WATCHING HIM! But this is beisdes the point, Man of the Tournament usually goes to a team that's gone very far, irrespective of how the team goes. I think MOTT is decided after the last match. It just so happens it was a ridiculous no-brainer in 1999.

Oh and yeah, despite what may happen in the last two matches, I think Hayden has it wrapped up.

I can't quite see Ponting beating Hayden for it. I've seen Kallis make a lot of runs, but not in a dominant manner. Doubt Jayasuria could sneak it, though he has been great.

I think if somebody will beat Hayden it'll be a bowler. McGrath has over 20 wickets at around 14, and he's gone quite unnoticed interestingly enough. If he had a massive last two games he could get it. Malinga could get it if he had a big last two games, but I also doubt it. Plus he missed a game.

I think Hayden's biggest challenger is the great Murali... but Murali would have to be the #1 reason why Sri Lanka win the world cup in the last two games. Malinga really has been as effective as Murali in this world cup, and Jayasuria has gotten Sri Lanka off to flyers. Murali needs to stand out as the clear #1 and be the reason they win to topple Hayden.

After 10 games, really Matthew Hayden is well ahead of the pack and I think he should get it. Something special would have to hapen for him to not get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    Oh and yeah, despite what may happen in the last two matches, I think Hayden has it wrapped up.

I can't quite see Ponting beating Hayden for it. I've seen Kallis make a lot of runs, but not in a dominant manner. Doubt Jayasuria could sneak it, though he has been great.

I think if somebody will beat Hayden it'll be a bowler. McGrath has over 20 wickets at around 14, and he's gone quite unnoticed interestingly enough. If he had a massive last two games he could get it. Malinga could get it if he had a big last two games, but I also doubt it. Plus he missed a game.

I think Hayden's biggest challenger is the great Murali... but Murali would have to be the #1 reason why Sri Lanka win the world cup in the last two games. Malinga really has been as effective as Murali in this world cup, and Jayasuria has gotten Sri Lanka off to flyers. Murali needs to stand out as the clear #1 and be the reason they win to topple Hayden.

After 10 games, really Matthew Hayden is well ahead of the pack and I think he should get it. Something special would have to hapen for him to not get it.
    Glen Mcgrath has 3 more points than anyone else

No offence to McGrath but this award should be going to Hayden or Styris.

This point system is very generous to him.

Quote Originally Posted by simmy View Post

Shocked to see you not call for Stuart Broad to get the award, tbh.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by simmy View Post

Agree, I know McGrath has been good but Hayden has been simply amazing. Scott Styris (together with Bond) has basically held this Black Caps side together.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

GGG
    Yeah Hayden for me, McGrath has been his consistent self but Hayden has been more dominant .

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Shocked to see you not call for Stuart Broad to get the award, tbh.
    He hadn't even played a game when you posted that...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information