• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Malinga injury scare

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not worth the risk of him injuring himself seriously against New Zealand, for all intents and purposes then Sri Lanka are set to make the semi-finals. They'll need Malinga to be firing if they want to progress any further.

Perm

We be a big test for Dilhara and Maharoof to step up if he is out.
Could see one of them getting belted around pretty easily, without the 'x' factor that Malinga posseses the Sri Lankan attack looks much to weak.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Could see one of them getting belted around pretty easily, without the 'x' factor that Malinga posseses the Sri Lankan attack looks much to weak.
If Dilhara keeps bowling at the same pace and control he has in the last couple games his got a 'x' factor. Maharoof has been bowling pretty well on these pitches, so im not too worried really.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I think it would be for the best if Sri Lanka rested Malinga for the NZ game. It would also be appreciated if they rested Murali and Jayasuriya while they're at it. Go on.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Don't forget Malinga has the propensity to get belted around a fair bit too. If Maharoof can come in and just bowl steadily with maybe someone like Vaas stepping it up on the wicket-taking front then they may not even feel his absence. Will also be interesting to see if Maharoof can help improve SL's totals with some late order hitting.

Natman20

International Debutant
I think Sri Lanka needs a bowler to take wickets at the end and get ahead but with the absence of Malinga they don't really have a striking option apart from Murali. This will suit NZ because unless teams strike middle order and tail in the end they will pounce on the bowling. The likes of Fernando, Maharoof etc. will probably be expensive probably similar to Malinga but they won't claim the same amount of wickets or provide the threat that Malinga would.

pup11

International Coach
Malinga is really a key bowler for Sri Lanka and atm he is joint highest wicket-taker in this WC with McGrath (they both have 15 wickets), so we can see how successfull Malinga has been in this WC.

Without him Sri Lankan bowling certainly won't be as good as it has been so far in the WC, they would also have death bowling problems without him.

For Sri Lanka's sake i hope his injury is not serious and he makes a speedy recovery.

Davey

School Boy/Girl Captain
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

Well thats it, its all over we are gone. *sigh* and just as we were going on a good run. Quite possibly our best death bowler and most unpredictable bowler is injuired thats it Game Over.

We will lose against Nz and AUs (how badly remains to be seen) and either lose against Ireland or win by the narrowest of margins get through to the next round and get thumped by SA.

its all over
This sucks, im going to bed. its 4:50PM but i dont care
(P.S im not being sarcastic)

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I think SL should rest Malinga till the Semi final .(that is if they still make it)

Against NZ, Maharoof should come in . I think SL still can beat NZ if they play well.It was going to be tough ask anyway , Now it hasn't become any worse IMHO.

They were never going to beat Australia, and Ireland game needs to be played with extreme caution too. It is possible that England could pip SL still and make the Semis.

JBH001

International Regular
Hmmm yes, really bad news for Sri Lanka. Especially when I see he will be out for 7 - 10 days. Not good at all.

One only hopes that the team pulls it together, and that other players step up.

Perm

Don't forget Malinga has the propensity to get belted around a fair bit too. If Maharoof can come in and just bowl steadily with maybe someone like Vaas stepping it up on the wicket-taking front then they may not even feel his absence. Will also be interesting to see if Maharoof can help improve SL's totals with some late order hitting.
Only early in the innings, he usually comes back superbly with the old ball. Vaas hasn't been in the best of form, so with one of their main wicket taking options gone then the attack is considerably weaker. Maharoof has the tendency to be very expensive and on the odd occasion he get's it right he can be useful.

Perm

From what I've seen Vaas has bowled well in most games I've watched him.I'd say he's in pretty good form.
After looking at the stats, he has actually been better than I have given him credit for. My mistake, he hasn't looked that flash on the odd glimpse I've gotten of him bowling.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

Well thats it, its all over we are gone. *sigh* and just as we were going on a good run. Quite possibly our best death bowler and most unpredictable bowler is injuired thats it Game Over.

We will lose against Nz and AUs (how badly remains to be seen) and either lose against Ireland or win by the narrowest of margins get through to the next round and get thumped by SA.

its all over
This sucks, im going to bed. its 4:50PM but i dont care
(P.S im not being sarcastic)

With that cheery attitude, I have no idea how you ended up here:

(PS. I am being sarcastic)