• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ can win Cup - Fleming

Hoppy1987

U19 Debutant
simply because they do not have enough strike bowling except for bond and their batting is suspect at times

corza_nz

School Boy/Girl Captain
simply because they do not have enough strike bowling except for bond and their batting is suspect at times
i think due to the fact that nz have a very long batting lineup and enough guys in form there batting is going well enough to win. and sure they might not have enough strike bowlers most of the time but i think atm bond, oram, vettori and styris are all bowling very well and the balance of the attack is very good especially on these pitches. so yeah i reckon if they can put it together in the finals they can certainly win.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I think the next couple games we will get a lot better idea of where NZ really are. They probably played four easier/out of form sides in the Super 8s so far (including the England match). If they can keep their form going against South Africa, Sri Lanka and Australia, then they would have be a very good chance at winning the whole thing. On paper they have a good bowling attack for these conditions and they bat very deep.

meatspx

U19 Cricketer
I like the positive attitude from the Kiwi camp but its getting tiresome hearing all this talk from them talking up their chances in the media. It's a no-brainer that if you have a half-decent side and reach the knock-out stage then you can win the world cup - 4 teams will have that chance, not just Australia.

It's like they are continuosly trying to reassure us (NZ fans) that they have a chance when it's just pointing out the obvious - perhaps they just want to be feared or respected by the opposition......something to do with their ego or that they've been psychologically burnt from all those losses in the past.

prakesh

Banned
Sri Lanka CAN win it!!!!!!!! It's technically possible for them to do so!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hold the back pages!!!!!!!

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I wasn't really using that way, just using it as a small number representing an equally small chance of England winning.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Everyone's batting is suspect of times. And who gives a **** about having enough bowlers who bowl in short spells? You only need 10 overs from 5 bowlers!!!!!!!!!

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
and ?

have u even watched any NZ games in recent times ?????

Our strike bowling may be lacking.. but we have a team that can chase down 350+ with no big fuss..

Our team bats till 9/10

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd be disappointed if Fleming thought any other way. Whats the point of turning up to the World Cup and saying you can't. The next 3 games though will determine whether they've got it in them.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
I'm a bit mystified at the reaction to these comments. Firstly, what do you expect him to say? If he said he thought there were two or three better teams and that winning would merely be a remote possibility, you'd all be jumping on him for being defeatist.

Secondly, the reaction to pretty much any such comments usually fail to take into account that they are always given in response to a question from a journalist. It's not as if Stephen Fleming has stood on the player's balcony and shouted "I just thought you should all know we can win this tournament" to anyone within earshot. If someone asks the questions, he will answer.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Secondly, the reaction to pretty much any such comments usually fail to take into account that they are always given in response to a question from a journalist. It's not as if Stephen Fleming has stood on the player's balcony and shouted "I just thought you should all know we can win this tournament" to anyone within earshot. If some asks the questions, he will answer.
Haha yeah. The whole process of the press conference to the headline to arguing about it on CW is a rather comical one as well.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Of course we can, every team in the Super 8 can. Some teams are more likely than others to win.

Natman20

International Debutant
Yes I am a NZ fan but I agree with the points made that we have not had to many top ranked teams to play. 9 wins in a row means nothing when it comes down to playing the likes of Australia, Sri Lanka and South Africa. Once we play some major teams then I will make a cedision whether we can win it or not. We still have quite a few weaknesses in the team shown in the Ireland match. Australia still to win the cup IMO but I will back NZ till the end. I think the wins have been majorly exaggerated and IMO have still not been as convincing as a lot of Australias and SAs.