• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Hahaha, funniest post. I have to wonder what planet you're on when a person takes an objective view of a situation that has no impact on the side he supports but you still accuse them of being a "bleating apologist." I'm no fan of South Africa, I probably like them the least on world cricket, but in your twisted reasoning, since I argue SA>SL, them I'm a disappointment and "bleating apologist". Really poor form on your part and I really didn't think you were that biased, but apparently you are.
OK, I am ...

But that does not make you non biased in this issue .... Objective view = Team losing games to 8th ranked Team in Neutral grounds and conditions, and losing to 4th ranked Team (NZ) in Neutral conditions...and only just managing to win by a whisker over 4th ranked Team (SL).... is still the second best Team......

Objective view my foot...

pasag

RTDAS
OK, I am ...

But that does not make you non biased in this issue .... Objective view = Team losing games to 8th ranked Team in Neutral grounds and conditions, and losing to 4th ranked Team (NZ) in Neutral conditions...and only just managing to win by a whisker over 4th ranked Team (SL).... is still the second best Team......

Objective view my foot...
Why would I be biased on the issue though? I've already explained why I think SA>SL and explained certain elements of this WC and their extreme recent success. How does that make me not objective? Because I don't agree with what your saying and share your view point? This is nothing more than you being overly sensitive and slightly paranoid about your side. And especially since I told you that I like SL much more than SA and most of my posts on this forum reflect that, I don't see why you keep accusing me of being non-objective.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There was a time when I was the only Sri Lankan on this forum. Then Chaminda came along and also Dinu . Then we also had Nookie in between coming and going. Also Legglancer and Chip monk came along .Then JBH came along ...Now you guys (Shehan Wije and Fernando rpc) ....

I hope soon we will have enough here for a Sri lankan Team so we can argue with these guys as a SL Team for trying to put down our players and our achievements in Cricket. :happy:
Mate, I've been looking at this thread and just don't see how you get to this conclusion from the comments made, especially Pasag's.
It's trite (or at least it should be) to say this, but just because someone disagrees with you, it doesn't follow that they are belittling either you or your beloved team.
FWIW, it doesn't seem to me to be an inferiority or superiority complex on your part either. It may, however, be a victim complex (insert inane emoticon here).

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Mate, I've been looking at this thread and just don't see how you get to this conclusion from the comments made, especially Pasag's.
It's trite (or at least it should be) to say this, but just because someone disagrees with you, it doesn't follow that they are belittling either you or your beloved team.
FWIW, it doesn't seem to me to be an inferiority or superiority complex on your part either. It may, however, be a victim complex (insert inane emoticon here).
I suffer from no victim complex .....for that matter I have never felt victimised...I feel sorry for others who think that I am ..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
A point thats hardly known is that Sanath spent the first 5 years of his ODI caeer batting at 6 or 7 down...its only during the 95/96 B&H series that he was moved to the top of the order with more opps. to build an innings with more balls to face.
Yes, but those years only account for a small percentage of his career.

His average opening over his career is still mediocre in the grand scheme of things.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You lost ....deal with it .:laugh: Go and see a counsellor to talk things over ... it will be therapeutic...:laugh: (by the way try and take Martin Crowe with you:laugh: )
Following your reaction to the run out a few months ago, I find the advice you give out here to be amusing.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I think Sanath is a case of his average not showing his impact as a player.

Plus his bowling raises his stocks a fair amount.

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
If it isn't one Torunament then what exactly is it? 8-)
The point was made in response to an excuse that a team can have a one off poor showing... But this is a Event run over 2 months and played in a variety of conditions (c.f different pitches in different venues over 6 -7 countries ) and the opposition was not one Team but at least 8 teams in the case of SA and all teams bar West Indies were playing on neutral conditions.... so the excuse about 1 tournament and one off poor performance doesn't wear in this case ... that was the gist of that response.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The Truth is the best 2 Teams in ODI cricket reached the Final.
No, the truth is, the best 4 teams reached the semis, the best 2 played each other so can't both make the final.

ICC said:
Code:
	Team 		Matches	Points 	Rating
1	Australia 	52 	6701 	129
2	South Africa 	42 	5234 	125
3	New Zealand 	45 	5103 	113
4	Sri Lanka 	52 	5799 	112
5	Pakistan 	36 	3950 	110
6	India 		50 	5320 	106
7	England 	43 	4457 	104
8	West Indies 	47 	4666 	99
9	Bangladesh 	42 	1892 	45
10	Ireland 	11 	317 	29
11	Zimbabwe 	36 	779 	22
12	Kenya 		11 	0 	0

JBH001

International Regular
LOL! Some funny stuff going on here... :D

(maybe Jason and pasag should kiss and made up?)

Anyway, regarding Jaya. I do not think his average is an accurate reflection of his talent and abilities as a batsman, especially when his SR is taken into account.

However, it does, in my view, keep him out of the top echelon as an odi opening batsmen.
Even only taking into consideration his games as an opening bat, his average is around the 34 mark, iirc. Not enough, I think. I rank him as a great odi opening batsman - but not exactly in the top tier, where a higher 35+ or ideally 40+ avg would place him.

Still, love watching the man bat though :). And I hope, I really hope, for one last Jaya special come the WC final on the weekend. _b

Matt79

Global Moderator
FFS, any danger of talking about the final of the WC in this thread?

I think more than Mural, Malinga will be the key to Sri Lanka's chances. Him not playing against Australia in the Super 8s was, in the end, a stroke of luck for the Lankans given the difficulties players unfamiliar with him seem to have picking up his length. If he can take a couple of early wickets, then Murali will be able to come on and bowl at players under more pressure who aren't as set. If he has a good day, Lasith could keep the Aussies to a total SL can match.

I'd actually prefer Australia to bat second (unless the pitch is going to have markedly deteriorated by then). I think the thought of what the Australian line up can do scares teams batting first against them to play foolishly - witness SA last night - and they can go a long way to defeating themselves before they begin. Then Australia can pace their chase knowing they only have to get a lesser total, mitigating the effect of the worn pitch to an extent. And the ball might move more in the first hour of the morning - perfect for Bracken and McGrath. The SL bowling attack is very good with Malinga in his current form and the reliably effective Vaas and Murali - I think their batting can be effective but is the more fragile aspect of its game.

Hope its a good game - with the right result of course.

I think Gilchrist should announce his retirement from ODIs after the final - I'd like to see him continue in Tests til the end of 2008, form permitting, but I think he should give up ODIs to concentrate on maintaining that Test form.