• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final.

Matt79

Global Moderator
It has hurt the game of cricket as well.....some serious rethinking out to be done about the whole DL system and crucial deciders such as the final of THE MOST IMPORTANT CRICKET TOURNAMENT IN THE WORLD!
Well, only in the most superficial sense. If they'd come off straight away, they'd have lost even more time and any fair system of rain-affected targets would have put them even further behind. If they'd gone off and not come back, SL would have lost at that point. So staying on was as much in SL's interest as Australia's. Made it very hard for them, but in the circumstances was the lesser of two evils.

At one point, SL would have won on the D/L system - until they started to lose wickets. Its as fair a system as anything is ever going to be.

As I type this Dilshan is run out...

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

Well i'm sure the rest of the cricketing world is open for suggestions if you have any, which you don't.
I do.....finals out to be played out in two days if rain persists!
50 over one day and the remaining the next!

Or make an allotment of overs to be played on Day 1 and then continue onto Day 2!

open365

International Vice-Captain

Or make an allotment of overs to be played on Day 1 and then continue onto Day 2!
Unfair as conditions would be different(more so than usual) if it were over two days, not to mention the impracticality for supporters and players a like.

Matt79

Global Moderator

I don't see how that would produce fewer unfair results or inconsistencies than the D/L system. It would more likely produce more.

GGG

State Captain
This has been really unfair to Sri Lanka, the rain got Jayasuriya out as he was worried about duckworth, now they are more or less playing in the dark. Australia do however deserve to win the cup as they have been playing the better cricket throughout the tournament.

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

I don't see how that would produce fewer unfair results or inconsistencies than the D/L system. It would more likely produce more.
Would give the second team a bigger chance to settle in. A team reaches the final only when they are good enough to reach the final and hence they should be able to adjust in most conditions over a little preiod of time. But when overs are cut short, that time too is cut and it becomes somewhat tough to get into the groove of things.
But when there are 50 overs to be played, a little time CAN be spent at the crease adjusting.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Somebody on another forum saying that the government cut the power off to Colombo due to this match. Anybody know anything about this?

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

This has been really unfair to Sri Lanka, the rain got Jayasuriya out as he was worried about duckworth, now they are more or less playing in the dark. Australia do however deserve to win the cup as they have been playing the better cricket throughout the tournament.
Agreed!

Seriously, this is one final I would like to forget because of it's unfairness.....not denying the Aussies the win they are about to get since they had nothing to do with the weather and have played a memorable game (especially Gilly :D) :p.....but seriously, this is unfair to the Sri Lankans :(!

Matt79

Global Moderator
I agree that this is a disappointing way for the final to finish - I did my rant a couple of pages ago. but I don't think it's ultimately affected the result, and I think any alternatives would generally produce worse unfairness.