Page 3 of 102 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Final.

Quote Originally Posted by shortpitched713 View Post
    Maybe its just because my team is already out but ffs Jayawardene feels quietly confident about beating the Australians, and he knows first-hand how good they are. The pessimism is just depressing tbh.
    I am a realist... but if SL do something out of the ordinary that would still allow me to be jubilant...

Apologies if I am dampening your optimism.

Quote Originally Posted by el grapadura View Post
    Jayasuriya is a dirty slogger and Sangakkara is one of the best 5 batsmen in the world atm, and can only get better. Jayasuriya is the type of guy who's as likely to get a duck as he is a hundred...I hate the fact he's scored so many runs in intl cricket.
    Now, I've heard everything. :rolleyes:

What a n00b.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Jayasuriya and Sangakkara are nowhere near in the same category. I know it's not what you said, but just have to get this off my chest...Jayasuriya is a dirty slogger and Sangakkara is one of the best 5 batsmen in the world atm, and can only get better. Jayasuriya is the type of guy who's as likely to get a duck as he is a hundred...I hate the fact he's scored so many runs in intl cricket.
    Wow, that's more wrong than most things I've heard recently.

Yes, Sangakkara is a top class batsman. No, he is not in the top 5 in the world ATM - at the very least, Ponting, Hayden, Hussey, Dravid, Kallis and Pietersen are all better than him.

And as for Jayasuriya? He and Romesh Kaluwitharana transformed ODI cricket as we know it. The man is not only a batsman of the absolute highest calibre, but as close as one gets these days to a cricketing pioneer. Without him and Kalu, many of the scores we see today in ODI cricket would never have been thought possible.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    Even I have to sit back in wonder at the blind patriotism on display there. Good effort.

#JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

And as for Jayasuriya? He and Romesh Kaluwitharana transformed ODI cricket as we know it. The man is not only a batsman of the absolute highest calibre, but as close as one gets these days to a cricketing pioneer. Without him and Kalu, many of the scores we see today in ODI cricket would never have been thought possible.

I dont think thet were the pioneers of this strategy at all credits got to be given were credits due, this style was implemented by M.Crowe dueing the 92 WC and performed by openers M.Greatbatch amd R.Latham, M.Crowe was given Captain of the series for his strategies which also included D.Patel opening the innings with off spin.

From cricinfo:

A beefy and charismatic left-hander, Mark Greatbatch was a solid batsman at Test level but in limited-overs cricket he could be a different character and was one of the first one-day pinch hitters

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slugger View Post
    I dont think thet were the pioneers of this strategy at all credits got to be given were credits due, this style was implemented by M.Crowe dueing the 92 WC and performed by openers M.Greatbatch amd R.Latham, M.Crowe was given Captain of the series for his strategies which also included D.Patel opening the innings with off spin.

From cricinfo:
    While Greatbach started the trend of ODI pinch hitters, it wasn't until Jayasuriya and Kuliwitharana that the whole thing really came together and we started to see how these strategy could be effective.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Wow, that's more wrong than most things I've heard recently.

Yes, Sangakkara is a top class batsman. No, he is not in the top 5 in the world ATM - at the very least, Ponting, Hayden, Hussey, Dravid, Kallis and Pietersen are all better than him.

Not disputing the fact that Kalu and Jayasuriya set SL on course for the 96WC win and in the process got a lot of people thinking how to approach the first 15 overs (in the olden days), just saying that I'm not a big fan of 'slash and hope for the best' batting approach epitomised by Jayasuriya.

As for Sangakkara, of the guys you listed Ponting is the only one who's clearly better than him, and Pietersen and Kallis probably are. Hayden is just in really good form right now (I've always seen him as a bit of a flat track bully) and as much as I like Dravid, on the evidence I've seen from both him and Sangakkara over the last couple of years I feel Sangakkara just shades it.
    They only get two there, as Astle turned blind....

Mark Richardson - The worst thing to happen to NZ cricket since 26 all out

School Boy/Girl Captain
    just saying that I'm not a big fan of 'slash and hope for the best' batting approach epitomised by Jayasuriya.
    It's a bit churlish to suggest Jayasuriya's batting is 'slash and hope for the best' ...and to even criticise the man. He's one of the all-time great ODI players.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Yet in spite of that, he'll end his career with a fairly mediocre average in the grand scheme of things...
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

El grapadura seems to say everything that I wish was true, but isn't. Jayasuriya is a good one day batsman, whether you or I like his approach, style or technique or not.
    ~ Cribbage

Toss will be crucial , IMO.

The Aussies having already played at Bridgetown have an advantage in knowing how it plays.

But I am hoping on lady luck to see SL through along with the number of match winners in the Team all playing their part.

Umpiring will also be a crucial factor . I hope that doesn't spoil what could be an entertaining final and possibly the most entertaining match of this World Cup.
    Aussies will have the Massive Fan advantage as well. I suspect they will outnumber SriLankans 10 to 1 at least at the ground.

It will be tough....and McGrath's last game and all that .....

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Don't worry my Lankan brothers, I have some tissue papers left over from 2003 .

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Homework going well As?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

will be a good tough game. sl hopes lay in murrali and there top 3 batsmen..... if they all fire australia will have a battle, but if australia dominate early like they have and get into a rythem then i think it will 3 for the aussies.
    Career cricket
    311 wickets @16.54 and 3021 runs @ 34.56 from 176 games over 11 years H.S 178*
    Member of the CW Green
    Cricket Web Career:(end of season 11) FC: 7404 runs @ 30.85 H.S 253* : One Day: 7331 runs @ 48.55 H.S 155*
    Off season: FC 1209 @ 52.51 & One Day: 921 @ 92.10
    COD4: djs clan
    World Of Warcraft: just sensational

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Yet in spite of that, he'll end his career with a fairly mediocre average in the grand scheme of things...
    A point thats hardly known is that Sanath spent the first 5 years of his ODI caeer batting at 6 or 7 down...its only during the 95/96 B&H series that he was moved to the top of the order with more opps. to build an innings with more balls to face.

Page 3 of 102 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread Information