• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final.

pup11

International Coach
I am just feeling a bit nervous for the Aussies especially due to Clarkie's comment that he gave in the press that "the way we have played through the tournament Sri lanka would have to play out of their skins to beat us".

I mean whatever he said is true but why say such a thing in the press just before a huge game like this it might just make the opponents more pumped up.

pup11

International Coach
I also hope Pidge's wish comes true today, he has said a 5-fer (for him) and an Aussies win today would be the perfect way to hang his boots.

I hope he scripts his farewell the way he wants to because he really deserves it!!

It would be an emotional moment for me as a McGrath fan to see him for the last time on a cricket field today, i would really miss him.

Dissector

International Debutant
You know this constant analysis of mind-games, "getting under the skin" and all is overdone. Ultimately what matters is the quality of your players. The superior Aussie batting line-up should carry the day but if Sanga and Jaya have a great day the Lankans could spring a surprise.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You know this constant analysis of mind-games, "getting under the skin" and all is overdone. Ultimately what matters is the quality of your players. The superior Aussie batting line-up should carry the day but if Sanga and Jaya have a great day the Lankans could spring a surprise.
Well said.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
All the more reason not to go overboard with the "our-time-has-come" bit. Remember India in 1993 :)
As far as i know all the Sri Lankan posters here have been quite realistic and have acknowledged we are not the favourites to win the cup...and if anything it would be an upset for us to win...but its a game and as the West Indian man who said to the Cricinfo guy on hearing Woolmer's death ..." the Cricket Ball Maan, its not square ... its round"

Anything can happen....

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I am just feeling a bit nervous for the Aussies especially due to Clarkie's comment that he gave in the press that "the way we have played through the tournament Sri lanka would have to play out of their skins to beat us".

I mean whatever he said is true but why say such a thing in the press just before a huge game like this it might just make the opponents more pumped up.
Hmm... I don't think it'd be possible to give Sri Lanka more incentive to win, or make them more pumped up - for the World Cup final...

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
true words. Jayasuria, Malinga & Murali are X factors for SL who need to do well for SL to win. Aus the whole team is full of X factors, so SL better bring some luck too...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
This is my last post before the game....

Let me make peace with all the Aussies on this Forum... Good Luck...May the better Team win...

To My fellow Sri lankans and others who supported our Team ...enjoy the game guys... Even if we lose, our Team has done well. Let us rejoice whatever the result tonight...

Lets hope its an entertaining game and not one sided ...and the weather doesn't intervene and spoil the fun.... To everyone on the forum hope you all have an enjoyable Final...

And if you don't see me around here for few weeks or months....You know why...:laugh:

Dissector

International Debutant
I had forgotten there were two Jayas in the Lankan team! In my previous post I was referring to Jayawardene who with Sangkarra are the two top-class test batsmen who could cope with the Aussie pace attack on a bouncy pitch. I suspect that Jaysuriya won't be a big factor with the bat but if he scored a quick fifty that would be a big bonus for SL.

IMO the SL bowling line-up is capable of restricting Aus to around 240 but their problem will be in putting up that kind of score with the bat. Their best bet will be for Sanga and Jayawardane to score about half those runs with a few others chipping in with 20's and 30's.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I would personally like to say:

"Two thousand years ago the proudest boast was civis romanus sum. Today, in this world cup of cricket, in face of the greatest adversary imagined. The proudest boast is 'Ich bin ein… Sri Lankan'

For years this sport has been dominated by a powerful nation, a true Cricket World Power, but know on the day of the final outcome. Only one team stands in its way. And because of this I lay this rallying call.
...All neutral fans, wherever they may live, are fans of Sri Lanka, and, therefore, as a free fan, I take pride in the words 'Ich bin ein Sri Lanka!'"

Last edited:

Fiery

Banned
C'mon Aussie, c'mon, c'mon! C'mon Aussie c'mon!

Aussie, aussie aussie! Oi, oi oi!!!

Last edited:

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
I am a proud Lankan....the Aussies are top dog....but this Lankan team has the firepower to beat them and win another cup for the rest of the cricketing world.

Fiery

Banned
Your in very dangerous waters. What if Watson needs to play well for Australia to win, what would you possibly do? :-O
(I have an avatar challange which gives this game a whole lot of interest to myself (and added interest to a few others, I'm sure)) :dry:

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Won't be a happy chappy if it rains. Speaking of which, if both days are rained out, what do they do? Play it another day? Share the trophy? Or give it to Australia, given they had the most points?