Cricket Player Manager
Page 14 of 102 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Final.

Also, regarding all this talk of complacency:

With all due respect, I frankly cannot see this Australian side being complacent for a WC final (its rather hard for me to imagine Ponting waking up on the morning of the final thinking "lets take it easy today"). Simply not going to happen.

Moreover, this match is the last hurrah for the old guard. It is probably Gilly's last major odi, and it certainly is Mcgrath's last odi. Again, no reason for complacency, in fact all the more reason for intensity and focus and a raising of performances.

It may be that Australia will have a bad day, they are due for one, but the odds are against it when we consider that with everything at stake, Australia will be doing their best not to have a bad day, and rather to have a very good day.

I doubt Sri Lanka will win it, but I do hope for a good game - even if I doubt a close one.

(It will take something truly exceptional for the Lankans to take this one out)

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Australia have a better team.

You're obsessed with 1996. It was eleven years ago and has no relevance. Get over it.

Recent form has nothing to do with how teams will play at their best though. At a team's best, everyone's form is at maximum capacity. Sri Lanka may well win, but if they do, Australia will not have been at their best - because said best is better than anything Sri Lanka can produce.
    What a funny thought this is If Australia Lost they are not at their best. To the best of my knowledge every team produce there best for the world cup simply if they lost to sri lanka they are not better than sri lanka team. As I see they have 3 great players others are average players nothing special of them. Any body think if they come in to India , SL or Pak they could produce good cricket like when they are playing SA or EN then people can see what is the there position in world cricket

Quote Originally Posted by JBH001 View Post
    Also, regarding all this talk of complacency:

With all due respect, I frankly cannot see this Australian side being complacent for a WC final (its rather hard for me to imagine Ponting waking up on the morning of the final thinking "lets take it easy today"). Simply not going to happen.

Moreover, this match is the last hurrah for the old guard. It is probably Gilly's last major odi, and it certainly is Mcgrath's last odi. Again, no reason for complacency, in fact all the more reason for intensity and focus and a raising of performances.

It may be that Australia will have a bad day, they are due for one, but the odds are against it when we consider that with everything at stake, Australia will be doing their best not to have a bad day, and rather to have a very good day.

I doubt Sri Lanka will win it, but I do hope for a good game - even if I doubt a close one.

(It will take something truly exceptional for the Lankans to take this one out)

I agree complacency is not part of the Aussie sporting culture...They will come intent on heaping the worst possible defeat on SL as they did to the South Africans.

But I for one do not doubt Sri Lanka's ability to pull this one.

Quote Originally Posted by rpcfernando View Post
    What a funny thought this is If Australia Lost they are not at their best. To the best of my knowledge every team produce there best for the world cup simply if they lost to sri lanka they are not better than sri lanka team. As I see they have 3 great players others are average players nothing special of them. Any body think if they come in to India , SL or Pak they could produce good cricket like when they are playing SA or EN then people can see what is the there position in world cricket
    Agree... I hope no one starts digging for excuses like the conditions didn't suit them or somebody had a a tummy strain or a buttock cramp or rubbish like that..

Quote Originally Posted by shehanwije View Post
    I sense a level of cockiness amongst our Australian members in this forum.

Whilst the Aussies have played very good cricket so far, its probably not a smart move to get ahead of oneself and make statements like "only way SL can win is if Aus play below their best". This situation reminds me of the lead up to the '96 finals where the cocky Aussies had virtually won the final, after the "come from behind win" against the Windies. When the blowtorch was applied in the "Sri Lankan strangle" mid-innings, Aus fell apart in an embarrasing manner.

This Lankan team can beat the Aussies, even if they are at their best. Judging by Pontings and Mcgraths remarks overnight, it sure looks like the threat that these Lankans possess, particular in big match situations, is well recognised.

The tactic to hold back the 3 bowlers in the meaningless S8 game is now looking to be threatening (refer Pontings comments) to the Aussies as they face an unknown, potent SL bowling unit. On the other hand, the SL bats have all had a good look at the Aussies bowling and can take a few lessons from it.

There is also another myth that if Sanath fails, then SL will lose. This is quite amusing. I say, take a look at the scorecard in the semi. The rest of the Lankan batting is strong enough to post a competitive score that will stretch Aus. Fighting back from a poor position is a hall mark of this SL batting team.

The final myth that Ponting is trying to exploit in his usual pre-match mind games (Yawn!) is that the Lankans cannot play the bouncing ball. Mmmm, this may have been true a few years back, but this this team has a bunch of experienced and skilled batters who can play the horizontal shots with ease, and also prefer the ball coming on. On the other hand, in Vaas and Malinga, SL probably have the best opening attack in the World Cup. So bring on the boucing pitch I say. Even Murali prefers pace and bounce as he can spin the ball on any pitch.

It should be a cracking match. I am obviously biased, but this SL team have the skill and temperament to beat the Aus team at its best...and this is the mindset the Lankans boys are taking into the big match.
    Well said.

http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/wc200...ry/292514.html

Tom Moody fires an appropriate response to the Aussies.

Meh, anyways fair build up to the final especially with the resting issue in the Super 8s match meaning there's the added element of that in there, making the final alot more interesting and exciting. From an Australian viewpoint there is the fact we were written off to an extent before this match after losing 5 matches in a row during the summer. There was also supposed to be huge question marks over our bowling so a win would be brilliant in proving all of that wrong.

Also for a personal viewpoint I've invested a ****load of time into watching this World Cup in what has largely been unexciting cricket from a tournament that was being built up as one of the greatest ever with nothing much between sides 2-8, but we all know that didn't occur, so if Australia don't win I'll be bitterly disappointed in regards to that. Oh, and it's the biggest event in one-day cricket... Whatever, I can't wait.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    I can't wait.
    I can't watch

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    I can't watch
    Can't or won't?

Quote Originally Posted by rpcfernando View Post
    It's quite possible to not play your best for one game.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    If the game is competitive and aggressive from both sides as is this (and related) thread for the last couple of days, I would say we are in for a good time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Can't or won't?
    Just kidding. I'll probably watch the 2nd innings but wont be setting the alarm. I'm very much torn between who I want to win. Aus deserve to win. They've been dominant throughout and there was an incident in the NZ/SL match semi-final that really ****ed me off but we wont go there as everybody probably already knows what that is.
    Last edited by Fiery; 27-04-2007 at 01:28 AM.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by JASON View Post
    Well said.
    Jason, RPC, There is a sense of a "get out of jail" excuse amongst the Australians in this forum. Nothing wrong with that at all, after all its just a sensible move given that Aus is so dominant as top-dog, and the Lankans will fight fire with fire...and learning from all that "gas" prior to the unexpected '96 loss is probably the way to go anyway.

I spoke to quite a few of my Aussie mates today - some of them are as scathing of the arrogance in their own team...the feeling is just get on and play the game, let the actions speak for themselves....in true Aussie spirit.

I agree complacency is not part of the Aussie sporting culture...They will come intent on heaping the worst possible defeat on SL as they did to the South Africans.

But I for one do not doubt Sri Lanka's ability to pull this one.
    Fair play, though I wonder if your sudden optimism (in contrast to your usual pessimism and doom and gloom) might not bring down the evil eye upon us?

Might be better for us all, SL fans and the team, if you pull your head in Jason.

More to the point - I too think that SL can do it, but it will take something special from them to do it.

Speaking of which, anyone know what time (nz) it will be on? The game against NZ started at 2.30 (not 1.30) as I thought it would (not that it mattered, I was in bed till 4 having weird cricket dreams). Is it the same for the final? I need to organise my day for tomorrow so that I'm ready for the first ball.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/wc200...ry/292514.html

Tom Moody fires an appropriate response to the Aussies.
    Its good to see that the Lankan players are focussed on the prep...leaving the firing of salvos to Moody. Good on him.

Page 14 of 102 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread Information