• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final.

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
So you admit that your captain is a liar then, as he told Ponting he didn't know the do was on? Interesting.....
Just like in 2001, the first time it happened, even Ganguly did not plan to keep Waugh waiting....but when he saw the effect it had on Waugh, he kept on doing it. Waugh saw it as a sign of deep disrespect (and there is probably some merit in that argument), but he did keep on getting side-tracked. See example below:

Ganguly reveals how Waugh's sledging backfired
Wisden CricInfo staff, September 3, 2003

Describing the final day of that Test, Ganguly wrote: "Just before tea on the final day when they were only three wickets down, I dropped a sharp chance off Steve Waugh at backward short leg. Maybe if he had said nothing, the game would have drifted to a draw, the result that appeared to be its natural conclusion. But Waugh could not resist the chirp, 'You just dropped the Test, mate.'

"Sometimes sledging can work against you and, on this occasion, it had the effect of geeing up the Indians. Immediately after tea, Harbhajan Singh got Waugh out and Rahul Dravid gave him a sendoff from slip asking who had given away the Test match now."

Australia were 1-0 up before that Test; they ended up losing 1-2. So much for mental disintegration.

Will we now see Mahela keeping Ponting waiting at the toss?

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
So lets forget the others and get your point of view clear.

You have agreed that Aussies are 'top-dog". Fair enough.

Now tell me. Do you think Sril Lanka winning on Saturday...

a) is a probabilty because they are playing well and Australia can have a bad day (relatively speaking) etc etc

OR

b) Is a certainity considering the two teams merits as at this point of time, how they face pressure etc etc.

OR

c) Is a possibilty since anything can happen in a limited overs game between two good international sides irrespective of their past record etc etc.

?????
I will go with your (c)as its the closest to my thinking....but would like to vote for (d) SL can beat Aus even if Aus are playing at their best.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
...but would like to vote for (d) SL can beat Aus even if Aus are playing at their best.
....Because Sri Lanka are playing even better than them

OR

because Sri Lanka are capable of , for that one day, playing even better than Australia at their best.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just like in 2001, the first time it happened, even Ganguly did not plan to keep Waugh waiting....but when he saw the effect it had on Waugh, he kept on doing it. Waugh saw it as a sign of deep disrespect (and there is probably some merit in that argument), but he did keep on getting side-tracked. See example below:

Ganguly reveals how Waugh's sledging backfired
Wisden CricInfo staff, September 3, 2003

Describing the final day of that Test, Ganguly wrote: "Just before tea on the final day when they were only three wickets down, I dropped a sharp chance off Steve Waugh at backward short leg. Maybe if he had said nothing, the game would have drifted to a draw, the result that appeared to be its natural conclusion. But Waugh could not resist the chirp, 'You just dropped the Test, mate.'

"Sometimes sledging can work against you and, on this occasion, it had the effect of geeing up the Indians. Immediately after tea, Harbhajan Singh got Waugh out and Rahul Dravid gave him a sendoff from slip asking who had given away the Test match now."

Australia were 1-0 up before that Test; they ended up losing 1-2. So much for mental disintegration.

Will we now see Mahela keeping Ponting waiting at the toss?
Don't think he will - Ganguly's just a kn*b, don't think Jayawardene is. Waugh probably thought he had a good record with the "You just dropped the..." sledge after 99. My question was posed to you on the persumption that Mahela deliberately kept Ponting waiting - I dont really think he would do that. If he did, good luck to him - if he wants to provide the best batsman in the world at the moment with extra motivation, that's his prerogative.
New question: How do you reckon SL's batters will handle the supposed extra bounce in the final (if there is any)?

Burgey

well

if it starts swinging all over the place then we are gonna get screwed
Don't think the Aussies handle that all that well either, especially Gilly upfront. I reckon Malinga will get him early with one that comes back into off stump (cue reverse psychology here as Gilly scores an unbeaten 164).....

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
....Because Sri Lanka are playing even better than them

OR

because Sri Lanka are capable of , for that one day, playing even better than Australia at their best.

Aus are favourites....the pitch is expected to favour them with bounce (but in reality, it will be low/slow in the second innings)...they are in the form of their lives....could keep going on.

But, Aus have not been tested yet - bcos they have been too good. SL on the other hand have come thru several situations from behind, and hence are well prepared.

I am quietly confident that the full Lankan team have the capability and plans to beat the Aus (at their best) on the day.

For a small pointer on the thinking in the SL team - you may want to relive the relative muted celebrations of the Lankan team after the semi win over the Kiwis. This is a good sign that the boys feel that the job is not done yet. The have a touch of steel about them.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
well

if it starts swinging all over the place then we are gonna get screwed
I think if you get a good start (opening partnership) and Sangakarra comes good (he is more than due), you have a fighting chance.

The fact is that after Silva the batting lacks class. Arnold, Dilshan and Company can do only so much and I dare say not much without the presence of one of the threee stalwarts at the other end. Tharanga is the fourth batsman with Jayasuriya, Sangakarra and Jayawardane but these last three are the key.

Sri Lanka needs three out of the top four to do well.

If two of them fail the chances are going to be remote unless one playe a massive innings.

If three fail, say good bye to the Carribean.

The bowlers will do well bowling second only if their is a decent score to defend.

The bowling looks fine excpt two things. One, Fernando is bowling as badly as I have always maintained he does and Murali has not had his best games against Australia recently. But its the batting that may decide.

The_Bunny

State Regular
Don't think the Aussies handle that all that well either, especially Gilly upfront. I reckon Malinga will get him early with one that comes back into off stump (cue reverse psychology here as Gilly scores an unbeaten 164).....
Hope he makes it 165.....

164 is an unlucky number for Aussies8-)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
And yes Malinga could be a star or a disaster. How Malinga is handled by the Australian top order is what I am really looking forward to tomorrow.

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think if you get a good start (opening partnership) and Sangakarra comes good (he is more than due), you have a fighting chance.

The fact is that after Silva the batting lacks class. Arnold, Dilshan and Company can do only so much and I dare say not much without the presence of one of the threee stalwarts at the other end. Tharanga is the fourth batsman with Jayasuriya, Sangakarra and Jayawardane but these last three are the key.

Sri Lanka needs three out of the top four to do well.

If two of them fail the chances are going to be remote unless one playe a massive innings.

If three fail, say good bye to the Carribean.

The bowlers will do well bowling second only if their is a decent score to defend.

The bowling looks fine excpt two things. One, Fernando is bowling as badly as I have always maintained he does and Murali has not had his best games against Australia recently. But its the batting that may decide.
Agree with your point of view here.

One small point - Dilhara is dropped, Maharoof is def. playing. See BBC video clip at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wibXYfyERY

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
Don't think he will - Ganguly's just a kn*b, don't think Jayawardene is. Waugh probably thought he had a good record with the "You just dropped the..." sledge after 99. My question was posed to you on the persumption that Mahela deliberately kept Ponting waiting - I dont really think he would do that. If he did, good luck to him - if he wants to provide the best batsman in the world at the moment with extra motivation, that's his prerogative.
New question: How do you reckon SL's batters will handle the supposed extra bounce in the final (if there is any)?
Its unlikely that Mahela kept him waiting deliberately....but he would have observed Ponting's obvious discomfort and Mahela is astute enough to use it to his advantage.

Re bounce, as per my prior post, Barbados is not the WACA or Brisbane...as much as Ponting and Macgrath would like to build it up to be (Fleming and Bond did the same thing re Sabina Park...for proof that these purile efforts are wasted, Mahela played the conditons by electing to bat).

These Lankans are pretty good at the hook, pull and cut...they also deliberately spent the past year playing largely away from home, for a good reason - to get better acquitanted with bounce and swing.

Observing the prior matches at Kensington, it def. has some seam and bounce early...but it then settles down to a low/slow wicket in the second half...so more like the old SCG wkt....and I need not have to remind anyone what the Lankans have acheived at the SCG over the years, esp. in '03 and '06.

Burgey

Its unlikely that Mahela kept him waiting deliberately....but he would have observed Ponting's obvious discomfort and Mahela is astute enough to use it to his advantage.

Re bounce, as per my prior post, Barbados is not the WACA or Brisbane...as much as Ponting and Macgrath would like to build it up to be (Fleming and Bond did the same thing re Sabina Park...for proof that these purile efforts are wasted, Mahela played the conditons by electing to bat).

These Lankans are pretty good at the hook, pull and cut...they also deliberately spent the past year playing largely away from home, for a good reason - to get better acquitanted with bounce and swing.

Observing the prior matches at Kensington, it def. has some seam and bounce early...but it then settles down to a low/slow wicket in the second half...so more like the old SCG wkt....and I need not have to remind anyone what the Lankans have acheived at the SCG over the years, esp. in '03 and '06.
Well he may look at his discomforture and look to use it, but how I don't really know. It' would be discourteous frankly if he did - the sort of thing which, if Ponting does it, he gets ragged out for.
As for the bounce issue, if it gets low & slow later, Aus still have the attack to deal with it -McGrath a master bowler on all surfaces; Hogg is a revelation and if it turns, no one picks his wrong 'un; Tait will slide it on at pace and reverse it like Malinga does; and Bracken bowls good cutters. So, both teams have very well balanced attacks, imo. Can't wait to do the report on this match up - should be a beauty.

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
Finals Buildup - Round up of News Clips (27 April)

Finals Prep - Viv Richards picks Lankans for surprise : Aus Ch10 News clip with Murali, Vaas interviews etc...Malinga bowling in nets, and the buildup to the world cup final.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHgd_cf8OAE

Finals Prep- Ch9 News Clip : Lankans and Aus teams prepare for the World Cup final...Sanga and Malinga play beach volleyball...footage from '96 Final.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTK7_RQ1iXc

Finals Prep - Lankans in Nets, Dilhara Dropped (BBC Report) - 27 April 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wibXYfyERY

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
Good independent view on the finals....SW

No Foregone Conclusion
April 26 2007
Cricket365

Australia have looked imperious throughout the World Cup, not only winning every game but doing so without ever really breaking sweat. It didn't bode well for the rest of the opposition lying in wait when Ricky Ponting proclaimed that their defeat of England in the Super Eights as being their 'biggest test so far'. This was a game remember that Australia won by seven wickets and at something of a canter. Chilling stuff.

Indeed, they overcame Sri Lanka, their opponents in Sunday's final, with similar ease, although a big caveat to that result was of course the absence of Chaminda Vaas, Muttiah Muralitharan and Lasith Malinga.

So can Sri Lanka, unquestionably the other standout side in the tournament, beat the Aussies? We think they can, and here's why
1 - The return of Lasith
2 - Ego
3 - Batting depth
4 - Pressure
5 - No contest?

For full details, see: http://www.cricket365.com/story/0,18305,6673_2088763,00.html

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair play, though I wonder if your sudden optimism (in contrast to your usual pessimism and doom and gloom) might not bring down the evil eye upon us?

Might be better for us all, SL fans and the team, if you pull your head in Jason. :)

More to the point - I too think that SL can do it, but it will take something special from them to do it.

Speaking of which, anyone know what time (nz) it will be on? The game against NZ started at 2.30 (not 1.30) as I thought it would (not that it mattered, I was in bed till 4 having weird cricket dreams). Is it the same for the final? I need to organise my day for tomorrow so that I'm ready for the first ball.
Sorry Mate, I better revert to my original and common stance which is the realistic guy in me speaking.... SL are definite underdogs .... look at the past and you can see the number of times we let the Aussies get ahead when we should've beaten them... the Australian tour to SL when we had a chance to equal the Test series at Kandy and go onto the 3rd Test all square ...we let them beat us and ended up losing it 3-0 .

The ODI series we lost again where we should've won... Even the VB series last year we took them to the 3rd game of the finals but really did not achieve what we could've and won that series ....

Realistically, Aussies have it in them to beat us ...but we have several guys who are due for a big showing....Sanath has missed out in several games leading up to this ...Sanga the same ... Due for a big innings. .

Among the bowlers Maharoof has failed to deliver so far...and Vaas has been there and thereabouts but the Aussies can come hard on him ... Same with Murali...Aussies have a desire to smash 6's off him and make him look ordinary....

So the reality is we are going to have a tough day at the office....But they must believe in themselves and make the best of it.... and lady luck may shine.... I am hoping..

At best its 60/40 ....

And I agree we may be a bit too optimistic and not realistic.... but its much better than be pessimistic...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry Mate, I better revert to my original and common stance which is the realistic guy in me speaking.... SL are definite underdogs .... look at the past and you can see the number of times we let the Aussies get ahead when we should've beaten them... the Australian tour to SL when we had a chance to equal the Test series at Kandy and go onto the 3rd Test all square ...we let them beat us and ended up losing it 3-0 .

The ODI series we lost again where we should've won... Even the VB series last year we took them to the 3rd game of the finals but really did not achieve what we could've and won that series ....

Realistically, Aussies have it in them to beat us ...but we have several guys who are due for a big showing....Sanath has missed out in several games leading up to this ...Sanga the same ... Due for a big innings. .

Among the bowlers Maharoof has failed to deliver so far...and Vaas has been there and thereabouts but the Aussies can come hard on him ... Same with Murali...Aussies have a desire to smash 6's off him and make him look ordinary....

So the reality is we are going to have a tough day at the office....But they must believe in themselves and make the best of it.... and lady luck may shine.... I am hoping..

At best its 60/40 ....

And I agree we may be a bit too optimistic and not realistic.... but its much better than be pessimistic...
Thats the Jason we know. Well done. :)