• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final.

pasag

RTDAS
Meh, anyways fair build up to the final especially with the resting issue in the Super 8s match meaning there's the added element of that in there, making the final alot more interesting and exciting. From an Australian viewpoint there is the fact we were written off to an extent before this match after losing 5 matches in a row during the summer. There was also supposed to be huge question marks over our bowling so a win would be brilliant in proving all of that wrong.

Also for a personal viewpoint I've invested a ****load of time into watching this World Cup in what has largely been unexciting cricket from a tournament that was being built up as one of the greatest ever with nothing much between sides 2-8, but we all know that didn't occur, so if Australia don't win I'll be bitterly disappointed in regards to that. Oh, and it's the biggest event in one-day cricket... Whatever, I can't wait.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What a funny thought this is If Australia Lost they are not at their best. To the best of my knowledge every team produce there best for the world cup simply if they lost to sri lanka they are not better than sri lanka team. As I see they have 3 great players others are average players nothing special of them. Any body think if they come in to India , SL or Pak they could produce good cricket like when they are playing SA or EN then people can see what is the there position in world cricket
It's quite possible to not play your best for one game.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
If the game is competitive and aggressive from both sides as is this (and related) thread for the last couple of days, I would say we are in for a good time. :)

Fiery

Banned
Can't or won't?
Just kidding. I'll probably watch the 2nd innings but wont be setting the alarm. I'm very much torn between who I want to win. Aus deserve to win. They've been dominant throughout and there was an incident in the NZ/SL match semi-final that really ****ed me off but we wont go there as everybody probably already knows what that is.

Last edited:

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well said.:happy:
Jason, RPC, There is a sense of a "get out of jail" excuse amongst the Australians in this forum. Nothing wrong with that at all, after all its just a sensible move given that Aus is so dominant as top-dog, and the Lankans will fight fire with fire...and learning from all that "gas" prior to the unexpected '96 loss is probably the way to go anyway.

I spoke to quite a few of my Aussie mates today - some of them are as scathing of the arrogance in their own team...the feeling is just get on and play the game, let the actions speak for themselves....in true Aussie spirit.

JBH001

International Regular
I agree complacency is not part of the Aussie sporting culture...They will come intent on heaping the worst possible defeat on SL as they did to the South Africans.

But I for one do not doubt Sri Lanka's ability to pull this one.
Fair play, though I wonder if your sudden optimism (in contrast to your usual pessimism and doom and gloom) might not bring down the evil eye upon us?

Might be better for us all, SL fans and the team, if you pull your head in Jason. :)

More to the point - I too think that SL can do it, but it will take something special from them to do it.

Speaking of which, anyone know what time (nz) it will be on? The game against NZ started at 2.30 (not 1.30) as I thought it would (not that it mattered, I was in bed till 4 having weird cricket dreams). Is it the same for the final? I need to organise my day for tomorrow so that I'm ready for the first ball.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Fair play, though I wonder if your sudden optimism (in contrast to your usual pessimism and doom and gloom) might not bring down the evil eye upon us?

Might be better for us all, SL fans and the team, if you pull your head in Jason. :)

More to the point - I too think that SL can do it, but it will take something special from them to do it.

Speaking of which, anyone know what time (nz) it will be on? The game against NZ started at 2.30 (not 1.30) as I thought it would (not that it mattered, I was in bed till 4 having weird cricket dreams). Is it the same for the final?
I agree with the spirit of this post.

Many of us would like SRL to win but it might be prudent to temper the enthusiasm. Running wild with optimism has had some dire and extremely embarassing consequences for many of us here from almost all over the globe. I am an Indian ask me :)

Seriously. Australia are favourites. Denying that is juvenile enthusiasm. But Sri Lanka have it in them to have a better day on Saturday. It CAN happen. Lets watch and see if it does. If they do it or get close to doing it, we would have, in all probability, had a great game and thats what matters.

chipmonk

U19 Debutant
World Cup Fever – by Aubrey Joachim

It’s 96 all over again!
The year the Lankans cricket did reign
It’s time to stop and watch once more
The Sri Lankan Lion begin to roar!

While cricket is a gentleman’s game
The cup final is but brawn against brain
With the Aussies flexing their brutal might
The Lankans brains will gently fight!

While woodchopper Ponting will cut and swing
Gentle Mahela with his bat will sing
Ricky will spit, and chew and weep
When Jayawardene’s bat will paddle and sweep

McGrath will charge in cursing and swearing
Murali will spin them laughing and smiling
Symonds brades are certainly no match
When swinger Malinga’s locks all eyes will catch

Sangakkara will, with legal ease
Outsmart Gillie with taunt and tease
Jayasuriya will cut, drive and chop
Leaving Hayden in a heap of flop

With the sign of the cross, Vaas will start
The Australian batting to take apart
Tharanga will surely leave young Bracken
Torn, tattered and oh so broken

So let cricket’s battle royal begin
May the best team on the day win
Let’s play the gentleman’s game in good spirit
Let not cursing, swearing and sledging wreck it!

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
I agree with the spirit of this post.

Seriously. Australia are favourites. Denying that is juvenile enthusiasm. .
I dont think even a dye-hard Lankan supporter will dispute that Aus are top-dog....the point here is that being favourites to win, and finishing the job off are two vastly differing propositions...esp. in a pressure cooker finals situation, where Aus have more to lose. Its a new game, on a new pitch...how Aus or SL have performed in the rest of the comp. becomes academic.

Some of the posters are stating that if Aus lose, then its only bcos they are not playing at their best...mmmm, hard to buy into this point. If Aus were playing Bangl, I can understand this point. But Aus are playing the "second" best team after the final round, a fitting end to a long comp. Anything is possible. SL have the firepower and personnel to win - even if Aus are playing at their best.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Check this out.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/the-final-straw-rickys-stood-up/2007/04/27/1177459958952.html
What a surprise - a lack of communication in the organisation of a peripheral event at this WC - fair dinkum, the ICC couldn't organise a grog-on in a brewery!!!!
Sounds like Punter was pretty annoyed by this - can't say I blame him.
Poor old Mahela, imagine walking in and not realising - love the photo of Punter - looks seriously p*ssed off with it all.
Anyway, we can now have Jason et al promoting this as further evidence of some weird psychological ploy. Make hay fellas......

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
For one thing I dare say Bevan has played more crucial innings in ODIs than Jayasuriya has.
Dont want to get too side-tracked with this argument as its not too relevant to this thread. So, I'll cut to the chase.

If you take MOM as one yard-stick (and I am sure there are more), Bevan has got the MOM in 5.1% of his games - 12 in total. Sanath has got more than double that number (11.1%), in a whopping 43 MOM awards. Not too hard to work out who has won more matches for their team.

However, Bevan will def. win the "media hype" game hands down over Sanath.

QED.

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
Check this out.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/the-final-straw-rickys-stood-up/2007/04/27/1177459958952.html
What a surprise - a lack of communication in the organisation of a peripheral event at this WC - fair dinkum, the ICC couldn't organise a grog-on in a brewery!!!!
Sounds like Punter was pretty annoyed by this - can't say I blame him.
Poor old Mahela, imagine walking in and not realising - love the photo of Punter - looks seriously p*ssed off with it all.
Anyway, we can now have Jason et al promoting this as further evidence of some weird psychological ploy. Make hay fellas......
Let me do the honours.

Ha, Ha! Lovely tactic by Mahela...clearly learning from Ganguly who kept Waugh waiting at the toss in 2001. In that series, Waugh kept on focussing "on the man, and forgot to watch the ball" as he was seriously cheesed off. Will refrain from opening up old wounds by repeating the cricketing outcome.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Let me do the honours.

Ha, Ha! Lovely tactic by Mahela...clearly learning from Ganguly who kept Waugh waiting at the toss in 2001. In that series, Waugh kept on focussing "on the man, and forgot to watch the ball" as he was seriously cheesed off. Will refrain from opening up old wounds by repeating the cricketing outcome.
So you admit that your captain is a liar then, as he told Ponting he didn't know the do was on? Interesting.....

The_Bunny

State Regular
Interested to find out how you arrived at this conclusion? I hope you are not basing it on the tripe being dished out in the Aus media right now....similar to what happened in '96.

If the match was played at the WACA, I may have to agree that Australia's best > Sri Lanka's best...but then again if the match is played at Premadasa, the reverse is true.

This is Barbados....a touch pacy and bouncy up front, low/slow in second half of match....not the WACA or Brisbane.

Both teams have 5 or 6 potential game breakers....On recent form, SL bowling unit is probably better than Aus, but Aus batting is a touch ahead of SL. Not much in it for fielding and captaincy as both teams are top notch in these areas.

Its a lot closer than Australians realise...or is a case of hoping the confidence and form of the Aus will get them thru. I say no, they will have to beat a strong SL team, currently running hot.
Thats interesting.. SRL bowling has looked so strong all WC and I would have said its the stronger unit, but then looking at the leading bowlers this WC its dominated by Aussies...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I dont think even a dye-hard Lankan supporter will dispute that Aus are top-dog....the point here is that being favourites to win, and finishing the job off are two vastly differing propositions...esp. in a pressure cooker finals situation, where Aus have more to lose. Its a new game, on a new pitch...how Aus or SL have performed in the rest of the comp. becomes academic.

Some of the posters are stating that if Aus lose, then its only bcos they are not playing at their best...mmmm, hard to buy into this point. If Aus were playing Bangl, I can understand this point. But Aus are playing the "second" best team after the final round, a fitting end to a long comp. Anything is possible. SL have the firepower and personnel to win - even if Aus are playing at their best.
So lets forget the others and get your point of view clear.

You have agreed that Aussies are 'top-dog". Fair enough.

Now tell me. Do you think Sril Lanka winning on Saturday...

a) is a probabilty because they are playing well and Australia can have a bad day (relatively speaking) etc etc

OR

b) Is a certainity considering the two teams merits as at this point of time, how they face pressure etc etc.

OR

c) Is a possibilty since anything can happen in a limited overs game between two good international sides irrespective of their past record etc etc.

Which, which, which ?????