• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Finals

LA ICE-E

State Captain
I know it may be a bit much to ask, but I'd still like to see at least one "neutral" fan come in here and say something to the tune of "I'd like to see Australia win it because they have the best side at the moment, have played the best cricket in the tournament and hence deserve it the most." Still yet to happen and I somehow doubt it will now, but it's a perfectly sound reasoning that I'm somewhat surprised hasn't been considered yet.
it was fun the 1st time the 2nd time when they deserved it but the 3rd time and all that domination just gets boring tbh...

pup11

International Coach
Just because it might get boring for (some) to see Aussies win all the time doesn't mean that the Aussies are getting anything on a platter, they have worked their backsides off to remain so consistent for such a long time so all credit needs to go to them.

Other teams just haven't been good enough to match upto the Aussies, so i would love to see the Aussies win and be crowned as the (deserving) world champions for the 3rd time in a row.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just because it might get boring for (some) to see Aussies win all the time doesn't mean that the Aussies are getting anything on a platter, they have worked their backsides off to remain so consistent for such a long time so all credit needs to go to them.

Other teams just haven't been good enough to match upto the Aussies, so i would love to see the Aussies win and be crowned as the (deserving) world champions for the 3rd time in a row.
I don't think anyone was criticising how hard the Australians have been working in preparation to this World Cup. If you took out Australia then any one of Pakistan, India, West Indies, New Zealand, South Africa and Sri Lanka could win the tournament if they were playing well, England could probably be included in there to. Truth of the matter is that Australia are simply much better, nobody is denying that but the strength of the opposition is actually pretty good, Australia have just been playing very good cricket.

pasag

RTDAS
I know it may be a bit much to ask, but I'd still like to see at least one "neutral" fan come in here and say something to the tune of "I'd like to see Australia win it because they have the best side at the moment, have played the best cricket in the tournament and hence deserve it the most." Still yet to happen and I somehow doubt it will now, but it's a perfectly sound reasoning that I'm somewhat surprised hasn't been considered yet.
Yeah I agree with that. The best side should always win. Australia deserve it more than anyone. This side has been the best side in the world in the past four years and them not winning it would be a great injustice. If I wasn't Australian I'd go for Australia as well. I feel the same way about other sports. It always annoys me a little when the best side of the year doesn't win the premiership. Obviously that's the way sports and in particular knock-out scenarios work so that's why I always support the better side in situations like this and I'm not much of a fan of the whole 'underdog' concept.

Blaze

Banned
if you were a neutral then you would realise that some of the australian players are ****wits.

don't know if that would affect your view...

pasag

RTDAS
if you were a neutral then you would realise that some of the australian players are ****wits.

If I was neutral and didn't go for any other team then I probably wouldn't hate the Australian side for constantly beating my side over the past decade and look for flimsy excuses to perceive some as '****wits.' Then again, I probably would :p

Fiery

Banned

:laugh: Someone please start a thread with voting options on who is the biggest ****wit in the Australian team. I would like to compare results with my official rankings :p

pasag

RTDAS
:laugh: Someone please start a thread with voting options on who is the biggest ****wit in the Australian team. I would like to compare results with my official rankings :p
Hahaha, Fiery's back. Catch Wattos innings by any chance? Brilliant hey.

Blaze

Banned
If I was neutral and didn't go for any other team then I probably wouldn't hate the Australian side for constantly beating my side over the past decade and look for flimsy excuses to perceive some as '****wits.' Then again, I probably would :p
meh. I hate the England cricket team more than the Australian cricket team and don't think any of them are ****wits.

Perm

You're back :) Good to see, the Watson love has been out of control after that knock he played against us, we need you to put those damn Aussies back in their place.

Perm

Mind you, if we weren't Kiwi's then we'd probably hate Bond because he's so good and lay into Vettori, Oram, McMillan and McCullum for their ****ty records. It's natural to dislike your opposition, especially Australia vs New Zealand.

Blaze

Banned
Mind you, if we weren't Kiwi's then we'd probably hate Bond because he's so good and lay into Vettori, Oram, McMillan and McCullum for their ****ty records. It's natural to dislike your opposition, especially Australia vs New Zealand.
hmm don't really see your point. There are no reasons that you mention there for a neutral to hate NZ (by the way I couldn't give a **** who neutrals support) , whereas people all over the world hate Australia becasue -

a) they win all the time
and b) they have a number of players who are disliked by a lot of the cricketing world.

pasag

RTDAS
hmm don't really see your point. There are no reasons that you mention there for a neutral to hate NZ (by the way I couldn't give a **** who neutrals support) , whereas people all over the world hate Australia becasue -

a) they win all the time
and b) they have a number of players who are disliked by a lot of the cricketing world.
b) is because of a) IMO. An opinion I've held for quite a while as well. Anyways, probably the wrong thread for this.

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah I agree with that. The best side should always win. It always annoys me a little when the best side of the year doesn't win the premiership. Obviously that's the way sports and in particular knock-out scenarios work so that's why I always support the better side in situations like this and I'm not much of a fan of the whole 'underdog' concept.
This sort of comment has its downsides and is not entirely valid.

Take for example the 1996 World Cup. Everyone would agree that Aus was the best team leading upto the final. SL caused probably the biggest upset in world cricket at the time by winning the final, and that too relatively easily.

Everyone thought it was a flash in the pan and that Aus just had a bad day (if you were an Aus fan)

A few weeks after the final, Steve Waugh even went onto say in an interview that "Its a pity that we lost to SL...if we had played them 10 times, we would have won 9 times" - Bert Newton show, Channel 9.

What happened next? Aus toured SL a few months later for the Singer Cup. They lost to SL in the preliminary game in a close contest. Then the Lankans walloped Aus in the Singer Cup Final. Suddenly, it was 3 played, 3 lost to the so called top dog.

Now go back to Pasag's original comment. Perhaps you may think a bit differently.

The champions is the winner of the final - no ifs and buts....the whole campaign to win a cup must be geared towards this goal. Not just maintaining for a the longest period of time.

Perm

a) they win all the time
Ponting, Lee and Watson are the only two that I can think of straight away. Of course there will always be the McGrath and Warne haters because they are so good, but apart from that I would think that most of the neutrals like a lot of the Australian players. I guess it comes down to whether you admire them for winning, like I do, or get pissed off with them because they win all the time, like you do.