• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Finals

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I personally would play the extra batsman for the semi, it's a faster wicket and lets face it Gillespie and Mason ain't up to scratch. So my team would be Fulton, Fleming, Taylor, Styris, McMillian, Marshall, Oram, McCullum, Franklin, Vettori and Bond. Tough call leaving Patel out but if the wicket isn't a spinners track there is no point playing him.
Marshall isn't up to scratch either though, and neither is Franklin for that matter. Patel, on the other hand, is up to scratch.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Patel is a better choice than any of our current seamers expect Bond.

I'm pretty confident that we can beat Sri Lanka, even though we were just mauled by Australia. It should be an ANZAC battle in the final I think.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
It should be an ANZAC battle in the final I think.
Why? to gift australia the trophy?

really hoping south africa can put a amazing performance to deny the aussies the cup...but unlikely since it's more of a spinner friendly pitch...

Perm

Why? to gift australia the trophy?

really hoping south africa can put a amazing performance to deny the aussies the cup...but unlikely since it's more of a spinner friendly pitch...
No, that's my prediction, not what I want to happen. I would want South Africa to progress to the final obviously, because the Black Caps have more of a chance against them. Just pointing out that it likes look it will be an ANZAC battle.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
don't you think sri lanka could provide more of a fight to the aussies then the black caps though? with their tatic of not using murli and vass? when nz lost badly with using their best players bar may one.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
don't you think sri lanka could provide more of a fight to the aussies then the black caps though? with their tatic of not using murli and vass? when nz lost badly with using their best players bar may one.
Haha, I really don't think SL gained much tactically by it. Plus, Bond and Oram didn't play for NZ either. Personally I think NZ are a better team than SL so theoretically, they should provide the best competition in the final. I think Australia's big test will be the semi though, slow pitch or not.

Perm

We were actually missing four of our best players, but two of them were due to prior injuries (Mills and Vincent) whereas Sri Lanka deliberately decided to rest three of their best players in Muralitharan, Vaas and Malinga.

I honestly think the "tactic" of not using Vaas and Muralitharan has been built up a bit by the media and some members on these forums and I can't see it being much of a factor in the semi-final. Vaas and Muralitharan have played 68 games against Australia, so it's not like the Australia batsman haven't seen them bowl before, especially when you consider they were involved in the VB series just a couple of years ago, bowling to a very similar Australian batting lineup.

Your first question was in a very defeatist tone, almost as if you don't think that Australia can be beaten in this World Cup. I know they have played very well but they aren't invincible. And no, to answer the question I don't think that Sri Lanka are more likely to defeat Australia than the Black Caps are. My judgement may be clouded by patriotism regarding this issue and you may disagree, but in my eyes the Black Caps are more likely to beat Australia in the World Cup final than Sri Lanka.

Perm

Haha, I really don't think SL gained much tactically by it. Plus, Bond and Oram didn't play for NZ either. Personally I think NZ are a better team than SL so theoretically, they should provide the best competition in the final. I think Australia's big test will be the semi though, slow pitch or not.
I agree with that last sentennce, out of the three teams remaining in the World Cup (after the WI vs England game) then I think South Africa will provide the stiffest competition and have the best chance of beating Australia. If the Australians make it to the final, their ability to rise for the big game will be crucial and I can see them being quite dominant.

Perm

well south africa have more chance of not performing well in slow pitches than australia
True, but that's assuming that the pitch plays a big part in the game. Really I can't see it having a huge effect, and Hogg is pretty good on flat or green wickets as well so the condition of the pitch shouldn't have too much of an influence on the performance of either team. That is of course assuming that it stays prettty true through the whole game, which I doubt it will.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
well south africa have more chance of not performing well in slow pitches than australia
Well obviously Australia would be favourites - I wasn't suggesting otherwise. Simply that I think South Africa have more chance of beating them than Sri Lanka or New Zealand - even given the slow pitch.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
that's for sure...they were the only team to challenge the aussies even though they lost by 80 some runs...

Perm

that's for sure...they were the only team to challenge the aussies even though they lost by 80 some runs...
When Smith and de Villiers were going along nicely it took a great bit of fielding by Shane Watson to break the partnership, and ultimately swing the game back into Australia's favour. I can think of only one other time when Australia were being challenged and that was the partnership between Pietersen and Bell.

Nishant

International 12th Man
Aus/SL final IMHO....but id rather see SA in the final....cant bear to see the aussies win again...especially as b4 the tounament there was so much talk abt how the aussies wont win it this time and how there are so many other teams that could win it...it would just be a dire end!!!

LA ICE-E

State Captain
i would be happy to see anyone but the aussies win and not just because they win everything(part of it is though). Them being south africa and nz never won it before so it be nice to have a new winner and looking at expansion, china 1st wanted to get into cricket after they saw the asian power at the game and how a small nation like sri lanka can win it...so if sri lanka win i guess there be some inspiration for the chinese.

Perm

Personally Australia would be the last team out of the semifinalists that I would want to win the World Cup, purely because it would be good for cricket if somebody else could manage to win it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I know it may be a bit much to ask, but I'd still like to see at least one "neutral" fan come in here and say something to the tune of "I'd like to see Australia win it because they have the best side at the moment, have played the best cricket in the tournament and hence deserve it the most." Still yet to happen and I somehow doubt it will now, but it's a perfectly sound reasoning that I'm somewhat surprised hasn't been considered yet.

Perm

I know it may be a bit much to ask, but I'd still like to see at least one "neutral" fan come in here and say something to the tune of "I'd like to see Australia win it because they have the best side at the moment, have played the best cricket in the tournament and hence deserve it the most." Still yet to happen and I somehow doubt it will now, but it's a perfectly sound reasoning that I'm somewhat surprised hasn't been considered yet.
No doubt that Australia has played the better cricket and deserve it the most, however I suppose all the neutral fans would prefer to see another country take it out because watching Australia win all the time gets a bit boring.