• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Finals

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would you like to get off the floor and elaborate on why you find that so amusing?
... Because you implied that a board of people, who would be subject to bias, and who can hardly judge whether or not a player's arm is within a certain boundary is far more superior than anything extensive scientific tests can prove, which is pretty ridiculous

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain

Have finally finished reading the last 50 pages since I was last on here, and **** me its been dire. Let's see:

1) We didn't deserve to win. Our bowling from about over 36 on was total trash, and our fielding was absymal as well. That missed run out by Taylor on Jayawardene hurt us quite a bit you could say. Our batting showed its trademark lack of intent early on, and I always had the feeling while Styris and Fulton were going well that one wicket would completely change the game. We never respond well under scoreboard pressure; the only way I thought that we could chase it down was if we went out and attacked Vaas from the outset.

2) Our much hyped middle-lower order always fail when it really matters. See the Champions Trophy, CB Series, today etc etc etc. That was an atrocious shot by McCullum, and you could have bet the house on Oram getting out to Murali.

3) I have serious doubts about that Murali catch. It looked to me as though the ball was touching the ground when it fell into his other hand. Don't know what the hell Oram was doing walking, he must have thought it was dodgy.

4) Do we really need to do the whole Murali is a chucking cheat act again? He's been tested and passed within the law. There's no other way about it, you can't just watch him on tv and call it a chuck. My only problem with the current system is that he could bowl some deliveries during a game illegally and nothing could be done about it.

5) The umpiring was abysmal. I blame the red shirts.

6) Positives? Ummmm...this could have been Bracewell's last game in charge. Please.

pup11

International Coach
Its a big game for Australia and SA today, i hope the Aussies don't wobble at this stage of the tournament.

There has been a lot of things said between these 2 teams off-late, like Haydos saying Saffies are intimated by Australian team.

So its gonna be interesting to see how Smith and his men absorb the pressure of such a huge game. Its gonna be a cracker of a game.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Interesting to see Arthur's comments about how they've learnt from what happened to Pollock two years ago (ok, slight exaggeration, but it feels like that long) when these teams last met. It will be interesting to see whether Smith is prepared to go to plan B quicker than was the case then.

Flem274*

123/5
Its a big game for Australia and SA today, i hope the Aussies don't wobble at this stage of the tournament.

There has been a lot of things said between these 2 teams off-late, like Haydos saying Saffies are intimated by Australian team.

So its gonna be interesting to see how Smith and his men absorb the pressure of such a huge game. Its gonna be a cracker of a game.
Hayden and the Aussies say alot of things, I think the trick is to just ignore it and knuckle down and play to your full potential. Smith is a feisty bloke and he wont take a backwards step. If the pitch is more of a spinners deck then Robin Peterson is very important. Tait could be a big factor too because you never know which Tait will turn up on the day. Obviously Hayden, Gilchrist and Ponting need to be dealt with early if the saffies want to avoid a runfest. If Ntini and Pollock get any assistance then Hayden in particular could get out early. Bracken will need to be tight and threatening as Tait is a bit of an unknown quantity. Brad Hogg has a big part to play as well.

What are your thoughts Pup?

Mister Wright

If Australia make the World Cup final, it will be an intersting one. Sri Lanka were the last side to beat Australia in a World Cup final.

Fiery

Banned
... Because you implied that a board of people, who would be subject to bias, and who can hardly judge whether or not a player's arm is within a certain boundary is far more superior than anything extensive scientific tests can prove, which is pretty ridiculous
More ridiculous than a test that concludes that all bowlers chucker except 1? Don't think so. What would be wrong with a panel of ex-players from all nations represented. Can't see why/how that could be biased. Chucking's a common sense thing if you ask me. If it looks like a duck, it's probably a duck. (or chuck, in this case)

Perm

More ridiculous than a test that concludes that all bowlers chucker except 1? Don't think so. What would be wrong with a panel of ex-players from all nations represented. Can't see why/how that could be biased. Chucking's a common sense thing if you ask me. If it looks like a duck, it's probably a duck. (or chuck, in this case)
Numbers don't lie mate.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Murali chucks or not, the bottom line is he is the highest wicket atm in this WC and he would probably end up as the highest wicket-taker in both forms of the game.

So there isn't much to argue about on that topic, as for Murali cheating i mean if he had slightest doubt regarding the catch he should have told the umpires, so there he made a mistake IMO.
Agree , if he had any doubt -he should've indicated to Oram or the Umpires to the effect and had it deferred for 3rd Umpire adjudication. In this instance , going by the inconclusive replays, I am not sure what would've happened ....but the benefit of the doubt may have gone to the Batsman.

I do not think Murali was cheating .... and in his mind he felt he had taken the catch .And I cannot say he hasn't given the speed with which the ball was hit , if he had let it spill off his Right hand it would've been impossible in the few nano seconds to recover it in his left hand....So judging by that I have little doubt about Murali's credibilty with regard to the Catch(ie in his mind) .... If anything the Umpires (who have had a day to forget) should've taken the initiative and deferred to the 3rd Umpire ....

But I am a bit apalled that this is being used to throw mud on Murali again....

I know the Kiwi fans are upset and disappointed and I feel sorry for you .... But its a bit sad that this is turning into another Mudthrowing against Murali episode...

I appreciate Oram decision was crucial for NZ and Oram is a big match player and capable of scoring big scores with very high strike rates when it matters, but SL had a few shockers too and I think the balance of these poor decisions must be taken into account.

Continue to use this Murali catch into Mud slinging / Chucking revisited if you wish...(if it gives you any comfort and satisfaction) but it does not deter from the fact ....that Stephen Fleming said at the post match press conference -- "NZ was quite simply out played at crucial moments in the game by the better team on the day" .

Now SL may end up on the receiving end on Sunday ....and I hope that SL fans don't resort to this then.:mellow:

pup11

International Coach
Black Caps have always been clueless against Murali, yesterday's pitch was tailor-made for him so he was always gonna be dangerous on that surface, but the lack of planning among the Kiwi batsmen on how to negotiate his overs is what really hurt them badly (or probably they just weren't able to implement those plans against Murali).

Athlai

Not Terrible
Agree , if he had any doubt -he should've indicated to Oram or the Umpires to the effect and had it deferred for 3rd Umpire adjudication. In this instance , going by the inconclusive replays, I am not sure what would've happened ....but the benefit of the doubt may have gone to the Batsman.

I do not think Murali was cheating .... and in his mind he felt he had taken the catch .And I cannot say he hasn't given the speed with which the ball was hit , if he had let it spill off his Right hand it would've been impossible in the few nano seconds to recover it in his left hand....So judging by that I have little doubt about Murali's credibilty with regard to the Catch(ie in his mind) .... If anything the Umpires (who have had a day to forget) should've taken the initiative and deferred to the 3rd Umpire ....

But I am a bit apalled that this is being used to throw mud on Murali again....

I know the Kiwi fans are upset and disappointed and I feel sorry for you .... But its a bit sad that this is turning into another Mudthrowing against Murali episode...

I appreciate Oram decision was crucial for NZ and Oram is a big match player and capable of scoring big scores with very high strike rates when it matters, but SL had a few shockers too and I think the balance of these poor decisions must be taken into account.

Continue to use this Murali catch into Mud slinging / Chucking revisited if you wish...(if it gives you any comfort and satisfaction) but it does not deter from the fact ....that Stephen Fleming said at the post match press conference -- "NZ was quite simply out played at crucial moments in the game by the better team on the day" .

Now SL may end up on the receiving end on Sunday ....and I hope that SL fans don't resort to this then.:mellow:
Quite right. Bravo

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
You sound like a sore loser today just as your other sore loser extraordinaire (with unfulfilled cricketing ambitions) Martin Crowe who had a field day on Radio Sport this morning lambasting his pet hate , Murali .....

All I can say to both of you is quite simple....You lost ....get over it ...Don't dwell on it and spend the rest of your life over it (Martin Crowe) :laugh:

Davey

School Boy/Girl Captain
We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
Since the world's been turning
We didn't start the fire
No we didn't light it
But we tried to fight it