Page 57 of 126 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi Finals

Odds on SRL winning are just 1.32, which is a fair price for the monumental effort NZ would have to put in to win it.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    I think a lot depends on how Lasith Malinga bowls upfront, if he is loose then we can probably get 30 runs off his first 3 overs or something similar. Those first ten overs are going to be crucial, I know it's a cliche but if we can come away from that first Power Play with wickets in hand and a few runs on the board then we'll be set for a good chase.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    Anything over 70 is a poor effort IMO.
    No it isn't necessarily or even usually. I would be happy giving just 71 in last 10 overs 9 times out of 10.

International Debutant Natman20's Avatar
    Oh dear. Very difficult to chase that especially against a team whose bowling has been all over us the last few games.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    80 odd is the mark you would be happy to give away these days, in the last 10.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Anything over 70 is a poor effort IMO
    Depends on the pitch and the quality of the batting/bowling. Apart from Bond, none of the NZ batsmen are world class, and whilst the Sri Lankan batsmen at crease weren't too fly at finishing, but it is generally easier to swing the bat than bowl at the block-hole.

Bond threw down way too many meat-pies.

giving away more than 65 against the SL lower order in the last 10 overs is bad.
    For as long as there is limited overs cricket - of ten, twenty or fifty overs - there will remain the Sri Lankan spinners' mid-innings choke

Fleming would need to bat through the innings for NZ to win this.

NZ should target Malinga (he might be rusty) and Fernando (he is in general pretty wayward), that would put pressure on the likes of Vass, Murali and Jayasuriya and thats where NZ can capitalise.

Is Bracewell listening??!!

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    NZ isn't out of it but IMO it would be a big upset to chase this total under pressure against this SL attack. Assuming they fail, the SL batting isn't looking half-bad for the final with Tharanga's and Jayawardene's form today. If Sangakarra can discover some form this is a very good batting lineup especially with Silva and Dilshan in the lower-middle order.

Their main hope of winning is always going to be their bowlers but to give them a chance their batsmen need to put up or chase a competitive total against (likely) Australia. I think the odds of that have gone up signifcantly after this performance though I would still back Australia to win.

Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    Fleming would need to bat through the innings for NZ to win this.

NZ should target Malinga (he might be rusty) and Fernando (he is in general pretty wayward), that would put pressure on the likes of Vass, Murali and Jayasuriya and thats where NZ can capitalise.

Is Bracewell listening??!!
    All of Fleming's hundred's have come chasing, and only the last one was in a loss. He is the key.

If NZ can be 200/4 after 40overs they have a big chance to win. So although the Req. RR is 5.80, they can get away with 5.00 for the 1st 40 if they keep wickets in hand.

And what you are saying is hardly rocket science mate

Quote Originally Posted by JBH001 View Post
    Jaya seems to have a real case of the nerves...captain in a WC SF is getting to him, I think. His fellow batsmen falling around him isnt helping either.

Its a shame Silva went, he looked like he was the only once capable of uping the ante.
    LOL! Shows how much I know!

What a beautifully paced captains knock from Mahela, one of the best knocks I have seen in quite a while. No fuss, no bother, just some lovely, classy shots.

GGG
    Anyone know if McMillian is going to bat?

As everyone has been saying, wickets and early overs are crucial.

Looks like I wont be able to watch the first hour or so either, some Asian guys want to watch Man U vs A C Milan in my internet gamers cafe. Ah well...cricinfo and cw ftw

Definitely a gettable score though, as the pitch has no demons, the ground is small, outfield is fast, and SL bowling has some kinks in it - especially if Malinga is rusty.

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by KiWiNiNjA View Post
    All of Fleming's hundred's have come chasing, and only the last one was in a loss. He is the key.

If NZ can be 200/4 after 40overs they have a big chance to win. So although the Req. RR is 5.80, they can get away with 5.00 for the 1st 40 if they keep wickets in hand.

And what you are saying is hardly rocket science mate
    5 per for 40 overs against tight spin bowling in the middle overs is easier said than done. They will have to consciously target Murali early and get him to bowl to defensive fields.

International Debutant Natman20's Avatar
    SL have the edge before the start of innings IMO. Someone in NZ camp will have to fire and do it well. Pressure for NZ at start and nerves will get to them,

Thread Information