• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Finals

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If you think I'm stupid that's your perogative but blatant cheating and bad umpiring decisions are too totally different things and if Sangakarra had run out one of our batsmen in a similar fashion to McCullum I wouldn't have a problem with it, it was within the rules and Murali should have known better. Claiming a catch you're not sure about without bothering to appeal or even look at the umpire is a different story. If I was the match referee I would be throwing the book at him.
Yeah, but you'd never would be allowed to referee a game like this because you're massively biased towards one team. Don't be bitter about this, its pointless at this stage. Whether or not Murali upheld the "spirit of the game", it doesn't change the fact that if Oram was uncertain about the catch he shouldn't have walked, and if the umpires were uncertain, they should of taken it upstairs.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Dont worry Bahnz, we can rebuild :)

Nah Murali isnt a cheat, he was just too good for us on the day. There will be another time, another place though. Then we'll get him. :)

Was it Patel or Macka that whacked him for six? I know patel whacked someone. please be Patel.....
Oh, I don't doubt that. There are a lot of positives to have come out of the world cup. Fulton looks a genuinely quality batsman, wherever he plays, Franklin has come along quite nicely as an allrounder and Patel has shown he's capable of great things (although I'd still like to see him learn a top spinner or a doosra).

On the downside, Gillespie's got progressively worse as the summer has gone on, Vettori looks pretty toothless a lot of the time and Taylor seems to have lost all the confidence that made him so explosive earlier in the season.

Hope Bracewell goes as coach, but I can't see it.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Top order problem?!? :-O

You're not the ones who had to suffer Ed Joyce for half a tournament, and then see him replaced by Andrew Strauss...:dry:
:laugh: He's quite right. Fulton did better than either of them. Fleming did brilliant too, though he faded away at the end. If Vincent was still around, it could still have been a solid looking unit.

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

:laugh: He's quite right. Fulton did better than either of them. Fleming did brilliant too, though he faded away at the end. If Vincent was still around, it could still have been a solid looking unit.
Vincent didn't fire at first until his hundred.....and then inury paid him a visit :@!!!!!

Fiery

Banned
Yeah, but you'd never would be allowed to referee a game like this because you're massively biased towards one team. Don't be bitter about this, its pointless at this stage. Whether or not Murali upheld the "spirit of the game", it doesn't change the fact that if Oram was uncertain about the catch he shouldn't have walked, and if the umpires were uncertain, they should of taken it upstairs.
My point is that Murali didn't give either the batsman or the umpires the chance to do anything else the way he instantly and nonchalently claimed the catch. Oram may not have seen it well enough to think there was any doubt so took Murali on his word, which has since proved to be untrustworthy given the damning video evidence and indirect admission of guilt in the aftermatch interview

Fusion

Global Moderator
So disapointed that "Murali is a cheat"(one way or another) is being brought up again. Let us please give Lanka the credit the deserve. They were clearly the better team and deserved to win. Attacking Murali is rather unbecoming of Kiwi fans.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My point is that Murali didn't give either the batsman or the umpires the chance to do anything else the way he instantly and nonchalently claimed the catch. Oram may not have seen it well enough to think there was any doubt so took Murali on his word, which has since proved to be untrustworthy given the damning video evidence and indirect admission of guilt in the aftermatch interview
Do yourself a favour and have a lie down before posting again... oh well

Fiery

Banned
So disapointed that "Murali is a cheat"(one way or another) is being brought up again. Let us please give Lanka the credit the deserve. They were clearly the better team and deserved to win. Attacking Murali is rather unbecoming of Kiwi fans.
I have no problem in coming out and saying what most people who saw it are thinking and don't care if it comes across as "unbecoming" or sour grapes. He's brought it on himself and I'm sure it wont be the last we hear of it

Lostman

State Captain
you should think of working for fox news. :laugh:

Athlai

Not Terrible
I have no problem in coming out and saying what most people who saw it are thinking and don't care if it comes across as "unbecoming" or sour grapes. He's brought it on himself and I'm sure it wont be the last we hear of it
Isn't this part of the reason why all catches aren't taken to the third umpire, or lbw's, or even some run outs?

Because the reasonable doubt in cricket can be pushed one way by a player. Its part of the game, convincing the umpire, and the other team that you got the better of them. Even if you didn't.

The clever ol wizard knew he was close. And he got it.

Well done I say. :laugh:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
There are plenty of occasions in cricket where a batsmen will nick a ball to the keeper or slips, the fielder will go up celebrating the catch, and the batsman will hold his ground. Equally there are plenty of occasions when a batsman, knowing that he has nicked a ball, will make do his best to convince the umpire that he hasn't. Both the umpires and the players know this. The fact that Oram did neither of these is his fault and no one elses. The fact that the umpires didn't report it upstairs is no one's fault but their own. Accept it and move on.

Athlai

Not Terrible
yeah, to hell with upholding the standards of a sport they once called a "gentlemen's game" 8-)
Your bringing up this point? When you were so defensive of McCullums run out?
I understand how it was in the rules of the game and it was the right thing to do for the game, but hardly a gentlemanly act now was it?

Fiery

Banned
Your bringing up this point? When you were so defensive of McCullums run out?
I understand how it was in the rules of the game and it was the right thing to do for the game, but hardly a gentlemanly act now was it?
No, I'm just saying that the way we're going we'll probably end up with punch-ups on the pitch being par for the course.

Fiery

Banned
There are plenty of occasions in cricket where a batsmen will nick a ball to the keeper or slips, the fielder will go up celebrating the catch, and the batsman will hold his ground. Equally there are plenty of occasions when a batsman, knowing that he has nicked a ball, will make do his best to convince the umpire that he hasn't. Both the umpires and the players know this. The fact that Oram did neither of these is his fault and no one elses. The fact that the umpires didn't report it upstairs is no one's fault but their own. Accept it and move on.
Greg Dyer got crucified for doing it, why not Murali?

Fiery

Banned
Because back when Greg Dyer played, they didn't have rules allowing video analysis of catches.
Which makes Murali even more culpable for having the gall to claim it when he probably knew video evidence would prove him to be cheating.