• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Finals

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

I clearly remember Shane Bond saying during the build up to this match how he needed to get Jayasuriya out ASAP and then NZ could/should restrict Sri Lanka to within a range of 200!

How odd this game of cricket is:

i) Bond failed to fire
ii) Franklin got Jayasuriya
iii) NZ are in the position Bond wanted SL to be in

*sigh* :blink:!!!!!

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I am 100% sure I just heard the last post playing at the ground. I shall know give my respect with a minute of silence.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Fair play to Franklin and Patel for bringing some respectability to the score, although I imagine that some of the batsmen are now blushing all the more. Sri Lanka are the only team to hold a torch to Australia though, and the only other side who could feel slightly justified in being crowned the ODI kings. It wouldn't be right for South Africa to win the Cup, having performed so poorly in patches.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
A bit unlikely that.. losing both games badly that is.

I would say the table will look like this:

Australia 14
Sri Lanka 10
South Africa v New Zealand winner 10
South Africa v New Zealand loser 8

Given of course that England will lose to South Africa, which all hopes of English fans aside, is the likely scenario.

I am thinking New Zealand will defeat South Africa..

Thus my predictions:

Semis:

Australia v South Africa.
Sri Lanka v New Zealand.

Final:

Australia v Sri Lanka.

Any one can win that one (Lanka is playing brilliantly right now) and I am afraid Lanka can come out just a wee bit short given the game is also in Barbados.
Not bad till now.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Except the University of WA used the best technology available to man (not protractors) and concluded it was more an optical illusion and his doosra falls (just) shy of 15 degrees. You can say what you want about his action, and you've every right, but it's perfectly legal within the 15 degree rules.

It's amazing how every time he does well, the needles come out. Like I said, people have every right to complain, but for me personally (and I have always questioned his action), it becomes so inane and frustrating that it just makes me root for him just so I am not lumped in the same category with some people.
But SS, it doen't really bother me. As I've said above - if he's passed to bowl, good luck to him. The needle doesn't come out from me SS, I really couldn't give a continental whether he does well or not. He's admitted the Aussies have played him better than anybody else, so please leave me out of that as a motive for what I've said (of course if he takes 6/9 in the final if we get there, I will probably say something different). But I understand why the needle does come out from people who look at his bowling and form the view it's unfair - from their perspective it's the equivalent of a bloke taking shed loads of wickets when replays show his foot is over the line, or a bloke scoring ton after ton with a bat that's too wide. May not be right, but that's the way they see it.
I know where you're coming from - it's been done to death here and everywhere else. I just look at his action and find it hard to root FOR him rather than be ambivalent because it just looks wrong to me. I'm not the ICC or Wisden, but in years to come when his name is mentioned, there will always be a little asterix next to his records as far as I'm concerned - like Ray Lindwall's for Australia, as anyone who has seen side-on footage of his action would probably attest to as well.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Before I forget, condolences to the Kiwis and many congratulations to the Lankans, particularly dear friend Jason.

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
None of the above. I don't think anyone will get the chop or retire other than Bracewell, I really don't.
I dont think any players will get the chop (Granted i dont think mason will get selected anytime soon again)

But i would not be suprized to see a few retirements in the next year or so

Dissector

International Debutant
Yeah it's pathetic how every time Murali does well the whining and the BS begin. Anyway the best thing is to let his bowling do the talking and his performance today and in this WC bolsters the case that he is the best bowler of all-time IMO. His bowling in his last six tests in particular has been extraordinary: perhaps as well as anyone has ever bowled in the history of the game.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
But I understand why the needle does come out from people who look at his bowling and form the view it's unfair - from their perspective it's the equivalent of a bloke taking shed loads of wickets when replays show his foot is over the line, or a bloke scoring ton after ton with a bat that's too wide.
It's not that, because if that were the case, it is easily proven and the fact that overstepping is a violation of the rules. The fact that it has been proven that he does not break the new laws just seems to be either ignored or forgotten.

Burgey said:
I know where you're coming from - it's been done to death here and everywhere else. I just look at his action and find it hard to root FOR him rather than be ambivalent because it just looks wrong to me.
Again, that is your right, and believe it or not, I've always said that about his action as well. My problem is that instead of stating that the ICC's rules are wrong in some way, or mentioning it and moving on, people harbor an almost personal vendetta against him and every single time he bowls well (which is most of the time), they begin the attacks (which never change).

And I never said you shouldn't or couldn't say those things. I just expressed my frustration and annoyance as being associated with those people, and said that I feel myself rooting for him more and more just for that reason.

It's exactly that reason which led me to become a huge English fan, when I used to support Australia (but that's a different story).

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I dont think any players will get the chop (Granted i dont think mason will get selected anytime soon again)

But i would not be suprized to see a few retirements in the next year or so
Exactly, maybe in the next year or so but I can't see any retirements straight away.

Simon Doull is of like mind to Fiery, thinks it was blatant cheating from Muralitharan.

Natman20

International Debutant
Yeah it's pathetic how every time Murali does well the whining and the BS begin. Anyway the best thing is to let his bowling do the talking and his performance today and in this WC bolsters the case that he is the best bowler of all-time IMO. His bowling in his last six tests in particular has been extraordinary: perhaps as well as anyone has ever bowled in the history of the game.
Hes a great bowler no denying that and quite often the best bowlers do seem to have awkward actions but thats just because they use a different technique to your regular bowlers and quite often they look like the 'chuck' although its just the wrist and finger movement generally. Its there uniqueness that makes them good. I enjoyed watching Warnes bowling more than Murali but agreed he is deffinately one the best bowlers ever.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
New Zealand beaten by the better team, simple really.

Great win for Sri Lanka, thoroughly deserve to be in the finals.

Murali's ridiculously good, can turn a game in the blink of an eye.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Again, that is your right, and believe it or not, I've always said that about his action as well. My problem is that instead of stating that the ICC's rules are wrong in some way, or mentioning it and moving on, people harbor an almost personal vendetta against him and every single time he bowls well (which is most of the time), they begin the attacks (which never change).
Think you're spot on here SS. It's a distinction which many don't make but which is really the most important part of the whole argument.:)

And well done to SL today. Deserved finalists. Bad luck to the Kiwis - punched above their weight in this tournament as they usually do - a proud sporting country just beaten by a better team today.

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
Simon Doull is a fool then. First of all the replays didn't show clearly that the catch was dropped ; my impression was the opposite. Even if the replays had shown that, it's a huge stretch to claim that Murali must have known and was cheating. Isn't a bowler always going to be optimistic and isn't a split second diving catch always going to be confusing to judge?

Really, people are scraping the bottom of the barrel in their insane hatred for Murali and making asses of themselves.