• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Finals

simmy

International Regular
Odds on SRL winning are just 1.32, which is a fair price for the monumental effort NZ would have to put in to win it.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think a lot depends on how Lasith Malinga bowls upfront, if he is loose then we can probably get 30 runs off his first 3 overs or something similar. Those first ten overs are going to be crucial, I know it's a cliche but if we can come away from that first Power Play with wickets in hand and a few runs on the board then we'll be set for a good chase.

Natman20

International Debutant
Oh dear. Very difficult to chase that especially against a team whose bowling has been all over us the last few games.

Beleg

International Regular
Anything over 70 is a poor effort IMO
Depends on the pitch and the quality of the batting/bowling. Apart from Bond, none of the NZ batsmen are world class, and whilst the Sri Lankan batsmen at crease weren't too fly at finishing, but it is generally easier to swing the bat than bowl at the block-hole.

Bond threw down way too many meat-pies.

pup11

International Coach
Fleming would need to bat through the innings for NZ to win this.

NZ should target Malinga (he might be rusty) and Fernando (he is in general pretty wayward), that would put pressure on the likes of Vass, Murali and Jayasuriya and thats where NZ can capitalise.

Is Bracewell listening??!!

Dissector

International Debutant
NZ isn't out of it but IMO it would be a big upset to chase this total under pressure against this SL attack. Assuming they fail, the SL batting isn't looking half-bad for the final with Tharanga's and Jayawardene's form today. If Sangakarra can discover some form this is a very good batting lineup especially with Silva and Dilshan in the lower-middle order.

Their main hope of winning is always going to be their bowlers but to give them a chance their batsmen need to put up or chase a competitive total against (likely) Australia. I think the odds of that have gone up signifcantly after this performance though I would still back Australia to win.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Fleming would need to bat through the innings for NZ to win this.

NZ should target Malinga (he might be rusty) and Fernando (he is in general pretty wayward), that would put pressure on the likes of Vass, Murali and Jayasuriya and thats where NZ can capitalise.

Is Bracewell listening??!!
All of Fleming's hundred's have come chasing, and only the last one was in a loss. He is the key.

If NZ can be 200/4 after 40overs they have a big chance to win. So although the Req. RR is 5.80, they can get away with 5.00 for the 1st 40 if they keep wickets in hand.

And what you are saying is hardly rocket science mate

JBH001

International Regular
Jaya seems to have a real case of the nerves...captain in a WC SF is getting to him, I think. His fellow batsmen falling around him isnt helping either.

Its a shame Silva went, he looked like he was the only once capable of uping the ante.
LOL! Shows how much I know!

What a beautifully paced captains knock from Mahela, one of the best knocks I have seen in quite a while. No fuss, no bother, just some lovely, classy shots.

JBH001

International Regular
As everyone has been saying, wickets and early overs are crucial.

Looks like I wont be able to watch the first hour or so either, some Asian guys want to watch Man U vs A C Milan in my internet gamers cafe. :( Ah well...cricinfo and cw ftw

Definitely a gettable score though, as the pitch has no demons, the ground is small, outfield is fast, and SL bowling has some kinks in it - especially if Malinga is rusty.

Isura

U19 Captain
All of Fleming's hundred's have come chasing, and only the last one was in a loss. He is the key.

If NZ can be 200/4 after 40overs they have a big chance to win. So although the Req. RR is 5.80, they can get away with 5.00 for the 1st 40 if they keep wickets in hand.

And what you are saying is hardly rocket science mate
5 per for 40 overs against tight spin bowling in the middle overs is easier said than done. They will have to consciously target Murali early and get him to bowl to defensive fields.

Natman20

International Debutant
SL have the edge before the start of innings IMO. Someone in NZ camp will have to fire and do it well. Pressure for NZ at start and nerves will get to them,

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
5 per for 40 overs against tight spin bowling in the middle overs is easier said than done. They will have to consciously target Murali early and get him to bowl to defensive fields.
I think the better idea is to target Malinga in his first spell, and to make it through until Murali comes on without losing a lot of wickets. That way they can afford to only score at 3's of Murali hopefully conceding no more than one wicket to him.

Majin

International Debutant
Such a class innings from Jayawardene, really turned the Sri Lankan innings around and put them just ahead in the semi. Really looking forward to seeing them bowl now.