Page 13 of 126 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Semi Finals

Quote Originally Posted by JASON View Post
    Murali, Vaas, Malinga have managed to restrict a lot of Teams under 200 -230, and with the conditions at Grenada , there is a very high possibility Aussies would've struggled against Murali and Malinga at Grenada. I am not saying that SL would've won, but it would've been a close run thing IMO.

May be I am saying this from a patriotic point of view, but I am sure their presence would've also meant the batting may have contributed a bit more resolutely than with a sense of non chalance given to a match you expect to lose anyway, if you get my drift.
    Yeah I agree they probably would have batted better if they knew Murali, Vaas and Malinga would have been in.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

hmm looking back I have been a little misunderstood here.

Pinball Champion!
    Matthew Hayden, a guy with Saute potatoes for brains, has come out saying Australia "intimidate" South Africa.. Well, duh, South Africa might be slightly wary of a side thats won the last two world cups at a canter..

What next? "Australia are a very scary side, be very scared" - Glenn "Pigeon" McGrath

Smith - "We are in this semi final to win"

Pietersen - "Not enough leg room in business class"
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    Matthew Hayden, a guy with Saute potatoes for brains, has come out saying Australia "intimidate" South Africa.. Well, duh, South Africa might be slightly wary of a side thats won the last two world cups at a canter..

What next? "Australia are a very scary side, be very scared" - Glenn "Pigeon" McGrath

Aussies do this sort of thing before most games. Its best ignored, because they do this to play on the opposition's mind before the first ball is even bowled.

Quote Originally Posted by JASON View Post
    Aussies do this sort of thing before most games. Its best ignored, because they do this to play on the opposition's mind before the first ball is even bowled.
    Tbf, every captain says the same thing and it is really just them answering the questions that get asked at their press conferences. They answer what they're asked and most answer it truthfully. However we don't see the interview or the questions, we just see the headlines splashed in the newspapers or cricinfo. And all four captains have been in the media with this in the past few days - Ponting, Fleming, Smith and Jayawardene so i wouldn't call it an Aussie thing though I would say that the Australians do tend to get reported on more than others.

Pinball Champion!
    Its so boring, it really is one of my pet hates, the cliched, censored and gagged talk that permeates top level sports... "Yeah the guys are pumped", "It should be a great game", "We're in it to win", just a bunch of robots really..

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar

Just the usual pre-game trash talk, it's to be expected.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Indiana Jones In Odd-World Champion! Jet Pac Stan Champion!

Icon3 Changes required to BCs batting

The Black Caps will be fine as long as they drop McMillan, demote Taylor to #5 (he's a hopeless #3 and doesn't generally come in until #4 for CD) and bring in the more dependable Hamish Marshall at #3. Taylor only works at #3 when we've had a good start, and that hasn't happened recently. McMillan's recent form in the slogfests in NZ was not true testament to his ability: he's not that good.

As for the bowling, I'd prefer Patel to play ahead of the short of gameplay Gillespie or Mason. However, the SL batsmen play spin well. Franklin should retain his spot but hopefully he doesn't bowl any of those brain-malfunction overs like the other night.

International Debutant Evermind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Scarlet View Post
    drop McMillan
    awful recommendation

Indiana Jones In Odd-World Champion! Jet Pac Stan Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evermind View Post
    awful recommendation
    Because he scores too many runs? His fielding is too sharp?

And if NZ needs him for his bowling, then we're stuffed.

The Sri Lankas have always played Vetorri well (and ofcourse spin in general). But our fast men are just shocking atm, I don't think we can afford to play both Franklin and either Mason/Gillespie. I'd go for Patel, maybe even Martin (gasp).

However with a bit of bounce and movement early on Gillespie might come good - he did rip apart Sri Lanka in one ODI last year on a traditional NZ wicket.

Banned
    Because he scores too many runs? His fielding is too sharp?

And if NZ needs him for his bowling, then we're stuffed.
    McMillan will and should play over Marshall. Flem needs to have him up his sleeve as a bowling option if things go pear-shaped with Franklin or someone (as they probably will). Plus he's a fighter and we need experienced players for these big games coming up

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    The Black Caps will be fine as long as they drop McMillan, demote Taylor to #5 (he's a hopeless #3 and doesn't generally come in until #4 for CD) and bring in the more dependable Hamish Marshall at #3. Taylor only works at #3 when we've had a good start, and that hasn't happened recently. McMillan's recent form in the slogfests in NZ was not true testament to his ability: he's not that good.

As for the bowling, I'd prefer Patel to play ahead of the short of gameplay Gillespie or Mason. However, the SL batsmen play spin well. Franklin should retain his spot but hopefully he doesn't bowl any of those brain-malfunction overs like the other night.
    What a ridiculous post Will, I would've expected a bit more sense from you. Ross Taylor bats at first drop for Central Districts while Matthew Sinclair usually occupies the #4 spot. I would far rather have Craig McMillan in the Black Caps side than Hamish Marshall, he has more strings to his bow, his bowling could come in very handy, especially if one of the frontliners is getting tonked. I know that McMillan hasn't been in the best of form, but he is a far more likely candidate to win us the semifinal or final than Hamish Marshall is.

Jeetan Patel is definately a much better option as a bowler than either Gillespie or Mason at this stage, and although the Sri Lankan play spin very well as a rule, he has a superb record against them. An average of 24 is superb, as is the economy rate of 3.43 which is excellent, especially considering he has played two thirds of those games on small New Zealand rugby grounds. James Franklin is likely to retain his spot due to his added batting at the end of the innings which the selectors value highly. I would be wary of how Jayasuriya takes to him early in the innings though, traditionally he has been smacked around a bit. Might be worth a shot if we open with Patel actually, it worked well against Australia.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    yeah, I noticed he's been playing for his average too
    Gap between Watson and Oram's batting averages: 12.60 and counting.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Thread Information