Page 11 of 126 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 1880

Thread: Semi Finals

  1. #151
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    Someone please start a thread with voting options on who is the biggest ****wit in the Australian team. I would like to compare results with my official rankings
    You're back Good to see, the Watson love has been out of control after that knock he played against us, we need you to put those damn Aussies back in their place.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

  2. #152
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    You're back Good to see, the Watson love has been out of control after that knock he played against us, we need you to put those damn Aussies back in their place.
    Says the one with an Aussie in his avatar
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  3. #153
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    if you were a neutral then you would realise that some of the australian players are ****wits.

    don't know if that would affect your view...
    Mind you, if we weren't Kiwi's then we'd probably hate Bond because he's so good and lay into Vettori, Oram, McMillan and McCullum for their ****ty records. It's natural to dislike your opposition, especially Australia vs New Zealand.

  4. #154
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Whangaparaoa, Auckland
    Posts
    10,872
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Hahaha, Fiery's back. Catch Wattos innings by any chance? Brilliant hey.
    Yeah not bad. He'll have to play a few more of those though. One swallow doesn't make a summer


  5. #155
    Banned Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    5,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    Mind you, if we weren't Kiwi's then we'd probably hate Bond because he's so good and lay into Vettori, Oram, McMillan and McCullum for their ****ty records. It's natural to dislike your opposition, especially Australia vs New Zealand.
    hmm don't really see your point. There are no reasons that you mention there for a neutral to hate NZ (by the way I couldn't give a **** who neutrals support) , whereas people all over the world hate Australia becasue -

    a) they win all the time
    and b) they have a number of players who are disliked by a lot of the cricketing world.

  6. #156
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    Yeah not bad. He'll have to play a few more of those though. One swallow doesn't make a summer
    Indeed.

  7. #157
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    hmm don't really see your point. There are no reasons that you mention there for a neutral to hate NZ (by the way I couldn't give a **** who neutrals support) , whereas people all over the world hate Australia becasue -

    a) they win all the time
    and b) they have a number of players who are disliked by a lot of the cricketing world.
    b) is because of a) IMO. An opinion I've held for quite a while as well. Anyways, probably the wrong thread for this.

  8. #158
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Yeah I agree with that. The best side should always win. It always annoys me a little when the best side of the year doesn't win the premiership. Obviously that's the way sports and in particular knock-out scenarios work so that's why I always support the better side in situations like this and I'm not much of a fan of the whole 'underdog' concept.
    This sort of comment has its downsides and is not entirely valid.

    Take for example the 1996 World Cup. Everyone would agree that Aus was the best team leading upto the final. SL caused probably the biggest upset in world cricket at the time by winning the final, and that too relatively easily.

    Everyone thought it was a flash in the pan and that Aus just had a bad day (if you were an Aus fan)

    A few weeks after the final, Steve Waugh even went onto say in an interview that "Its a pity that we lost to SL...if we had played them 10 times, we would have won 9 times" - Bert Newton show, Channel 9.

    What happened next? Aus toured SL a few months later for the Singer Cup. They lost to SL in the preliminary game in a close contest. Then the Lankans walloped Aus in the Singer Cup Final. Suddenly, it was 3 played, 3 lost to the so called top dog.

    Now go back to Pasag's original comment. Perhaps you may think a bit differently.

    The champions is the winner of the final - no ifs and buts....the whole campaign to win a cup must be geared towards this goal. Not just maintaining for a the longest period of time.

  9. #159
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    hmm don't really see your point. There are no reasons that you mention there for a neutral to hate NZ (by the way I couldn't give a **** who neutrals support) , whereas people all over the world hate Australia becasue -

    a) they win all the time
    and b) they have a number of players who are disliked by a lot of the cricketing world.
    Ponting, Lee and Watson are the only two that I can think of straight away. Of course there will always be the McGrath and Warne haters because they are so good, but apart from that I would think that most of the neutrals like a lot of the Australian players. I guess it comes down to whether you admire them for winning, like I do, or get pissed off with them because they win all the time, like you do.

  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Whangaparaoa, Auckland
    Posts
    10,872
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    yeah, I noticed he's been playing for his average too

  11. #161
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    yeah, I noticed he's been playing for his average too
    Gotta love it.

  12. #162
    Banned Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    5,124
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    b) is because of a) IMO. An opinion I've held for quite a while as well. Anyways, probably the wrong thread for this.
    in some cases probably. Definitely doesn't cover the whole issue though.

  13. #163
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by shehanwije View Post
    This sort of comment has its downsides and is not entirely valid.

    Take for example the 1996 World Cup. Everyone would agree that Aus was the best team leading upto the final. SL caused probably the biggest upset in world cricket at the time by winning the final, and that too relatively easily.

    Everyone thought it was a flash in the pan and that Aus just had a bad day (if you were an Aus fan)

    A few weeks after the final, Steve Waugh even went onto say in an interview that "Its a pity that we lost to SL...if we had played them 10 times, we would have won 9 times" - Bert Newton show, Channel 9.

    What happened next? Aus toured SL a few months later for the Singer Cup. They lost to SL in the preliminary game in a close contest. Then the Lankans walloped Aus in the Singer Cup Final. Suddenly, it was 3 played, 3 lost to the so called top dog.

    Now go back to Pasag's original comment. Perhaps you may think a bit differently.

    The champions is the winner of the final - no ifs and buts....the whole campaign to win a cup must be geared towards this goal. Not just maintaining for a the longest period of time.
    Right. I'm not strongly disagreeing with any of that really and I would never begrudge a side that won, say Sri Lanka, New Zealand or South Africa in this World Cup. However, in general as a sports follower, I don't like supporting the underdog in finals situations and I rather the side that has dominated throughout the year and has clearly been the best win it. That's just me however. When my side Carlton got into the 99 Grand Final, they didn't deserve to be there, they fluked their way in and where no way near the second best side in the comp. More like 6th best and when they lost the Grand Final convincingly I wasn't even that upset because we didn't deserve to win (if we did, like 93 I'd be inconsolable).

    There is however an argument against this that you could say that whoever wins in finals situations, under that pressure is infact the better side and deserves to win, no matter what happened during the year. But that's not a huge (deciding) factor imo.

  14. #164
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    yeah, I noticed he's been playing for his average too

  15. #165
    Banned Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    5,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    I guess it comes down to whether you admire them for winning, like I do, or get pissed off with them because they win all the time, like you do.
    Well aren't you just such a great person...

Page 11 of 126 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. **Official** Semi Finals and Final
    By James in forum ICC Champions Trophy 2006
    Replies: 650
    Last Post: 12-11-2006, 05:47 AM
  2. No Asians ?
    By Laurrz in forum ICC Champions Trophy 2006
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: 11-11-2006, 06:57 AM
  3. CW Bar Cup Semi Finals Discussion and Results
    By Simon in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-10-2006, 08:19 PM
  4. CW Bar Cup Semi Finals
    By Simon in forum WCC - Team Sheets
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-10-2006, 07:33 PM
  5. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 16-03-2003, 04:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •