• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Finals

Francis

State Vice-Captain
....and it just happened to coincide with the worst performance in a long time by the South African top order
SA batted the same way in the game against Australia that they did for all the tournament. That's how Smith plays, he hits a few shots over the in-field by coming down the wicket. They all got found out unfortunately, but it's not like they haven't had success playing like that.

Am I the only person who saw a brilliant bowling performance from all Australia's bowlers?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Get the sweets ready Jason :)
I don't think Aussies are going to reliquish their crown easily ....For SL to win lot of things have to go in their favour.... The conditions suit Aussies who have played at this Ground already... SL needs all its star performers to do well. Too premature to say SL can win this ....McGrath for one will be desperate to win this and finish his last game on a high...This would be last World Cup for Gilchrist , Hussey ...they are not going to finish their dominance of the game with a wimper....

It will be a very tough one for SL ,but I know if anyone can beat the Aussies on such an occasion its SL ....

Truth is SJS as has been highlighted by someone before, 1999 Pakistan lost to Australia..
2003 India lost to Australia.... so this time its SL 's turn to give the Aussies back what they have done to sub continental Teams time after time.

Craig

World Traveller
This is a mixed reaction for me, in many ways I'm disappointed by how the game ended up but at least I don't have Brendon Julian as my avatar. I was worried that thing would comeback to haunt me.

Matt79

Global Moderator
SA batted the same way in the game against Australia that they did for all the tournament. That's how Smith plays, he hits a few shots over the in-field by coming down the wicket. They all got found out unfortunately, but it's not like they haven't had success playing like that.

Am I the only person who saw a brilliant bowling performance from all Australia's bowlers?
It was very solid bowling - brilliant might be overstating it. McGrath produced two really good deliveries to take wickets (Kallis - a deceptive yorker, and Boucher, just the perfect delivery to a new batsman at the crease), but he also got a wicket with a rank wide to Prince. Hogg bowled well, but was flattered by Kemp's ineptitude. Bracken was solid as always and he'll always get a wicket early. Tait was good, but not brilliant. Watson had a day with the ball to forget.

Very very solid will do though - especially when your opponent is as intent on their own destruction as SA were last night, and especially when the pitch looked as good for batting as it did last night. They did exactly what they needed to do to smash their opposition.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Care to do a rematch for the final? :)

Although I think it should be if Watson gets a 50 or takes 2 wickets, not 3. He's a batting allrounder you know...
Shouldn't you include a minimum of overs? If he only gets to bowl, say 2 or 3 overs as we bundle them out for less than 100.

Hey, I can hope.

Langeveldt

Soutie
See JASON. That's the difference between biased South African spin-doctor excuses and completely objective posters pointing out what went wrong.

That article is trash and Arthur should be ashamed of himself.
Jesus christ.. makes me ashamed to be a cricket fan, let alone a SA cricket fan

Fiery

Banned
Care to do a rematch for the final? :)

Although I think it should be if Watson gets a 50 or takes 2 wickets, not 3. He's a batting allrounder you know...
OK, if he gets over 30 or 2 wickets I'll change it. Can't see it happening. If not, you shall have Michael Mason's mug on display for a month. :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think Aussies are going to reliquish their crown easily ....For SL to win lot of things have to go in their favour....
Agree with all that. My only submission is

1. Its Sri Lanka's best chance to do it.
2. They are playing close to their best cricket, If Sangakarra was amongst the runs it would have been THE BEST they can play. And no team should be asked to do better than that.
3. Australia are due for a bad day (and how)

Yes Australia ARE the favourites but this thing just might happen.

My big worry would be Sri Lanka succumbing to the pressure of the occasion.

I think the of Arvinda and Arjuna is the big difference between Sri Lanka of 1996 and 2007. Not because of the cricketing skills of those two stalwarts , which were very considerable, but for their mental toughness.

Thats the real test of Sri Lanka 2007.

After that they have to still wait for how Australia play on that day.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think the of Arvinda and Arjuna is the big difference between Sri Lanka of 1996 and 2007. Not because of the cricketing skills of those two stalwarts , which were very considerable, but for their mental toughness.
That's a good point.

That being said, I rate Jayawardene's mental strength quite highly. Not often does he seem overwhelmed. If Sanga can stay strong and not throw away his wicket like he's done on a few occasions in this WC, they'll have a good chance.