• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Finals

pasag

RTDAS
Murali, Vaas, Malinga have managed to restrict a lot of Teams under 200 -230, and with the conditions at Grenada , there is a very high possibility Aussies would've struggled against Murali and Malinga at Grenada. I am not saying that SL would've won, but it would've been a close run thing IMO.

May be I am saying this from a patriotic point of view, but I am sure their presence would've also meant the batting may have contributed a bit more resolutely than with a sense of non chalance given to a match you expect to lose anyway, if you get my drift.
Yeah I agree they probably would have batted better if they knew Murali, Vaas and Malinga would have been in.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Matthew Hayden, a guy with Saute potatoes for brains, has come out saying Australia "intimidate" South Africa.. Well, duh, South Africa might be slightly wary of a side thats won the last two world cups at a canter..

What next? "Australia are a very scary side, be very scared" - Glenn "Pigeon" McGrath

Smith - "We are in this semi final to win"

Pietersen - "Not enough leg room in business class"

pasag

RTDAS
Matthew Hayden, a guy with Saute potatoes for brains, has come out saying Australia "intimidate" South Africa.. Well, duh, South Africa might be slightly wary of a side thats won the last two world cups at a canter..

What next? "Australia are a very scary side, be very scared" - Glenn "Pigeon" McGrath

:laugh:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year

Aussies do this sort of thing before most games.:) Its best ignored, because they do this to play on the opposition's mind before the first ball is even bowled.:laugh:

pasag

RTDAS
Aussies do this sort of thing before most games.:) Its best ignored, because they do this to play on the opposition's mind before the first ball is even bowled.:laugh:
Tbf, every captain says the same thing and it is really just them answering the questions that get asked at their press conferences. They answer what they're asked and most answer it truthfully. However we don't see the interview or the questions, we just see the headlines splashed in the newspapers or cricinfo. And all four captains have been in the media with this in the past few days - Ponting, Fleming, Smith and Jayawardene so i wouldn't call it an Aussie thing though I would say that the Australians do tend to get reported on more than others.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Its so boring, it really is one of my pet hates, the cliched, censored and gagged talk that permeates top level sports... "Yeah the guys are pumped", "It should be a great game", "We're in it to win", just a bunch of robots really..

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Just the usual pre-game trash talk, it's to be expected.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Changes required to BCs batting

The Black Caps will be fine as long as they drop McMillan, demote Taylor to #5 (he's a hopeless #3 and doesn't generally come in until #4 for CD) and bring in the more dependable Hamish Marshall at #3. Taylor only works at #3 when we've had a good start, and that hasn't happened recently. McMillan's recent form in the slogfests in NZ was not true testament to his ability: he's not that good.

As for the bowling, I'd prefer Patel to play ahead of the short of gameplay Gillespie or Mason. However, the SL batsmen play spin well. Franklin should retain his spot but hopefully he doesn't bowl any of those brain-malfunction overs like the other night.

meatspx

U19 Cricketer
The Sri Lankas have always played Vetorri well (and ofcourse spin in general). But our fast men are just shocking atm, I don't think we can afford to play both Franklin and either Mason/Gillespie. I'd go for Patel, maybe even Martin (gasp).

However with a bit of bounce and movement early on Gillespie might come good - he did rip apart Sri Lanka in one ODI last year on a traditional NZ wicket.

Fiery

Banned
Because he scores too many runs? His fielding is too sharp?

And if NZ needs him for his bowling, then we're stuffed.
McMillan will and should play over Marshall. Flem needs to have him up his sleeve as a bowling option if things go pear-shaped with Franklin or someone (as they probably will). Plus he's a fighter and we need experienced players for these big games coming up

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Black Caps will be fine as long as they drop McMillan, demote Taylor to #5 (he's a hopeless #3 and doesn't generally come in until #4 for CD) and bring in the more dependable Hamish Marshall at #3. Taylor only works at #3 when we've had a good start, and that hasn't happened recently. McMillan's recent form in the slogfests in NZ was not true testament to his ability: he's not that good.

As for the bowling, I'd prefer Patel to play ahead of the short of gameplay Gillespie or Mason. However, the SL batsmen play spin well. Franklin should retain his spot but hopefully he doesn't bowl any of those brain-malfunction overs like the other night.
What a ridiculous post Will, I would've expected a bit more sense from you. Ross Taylor bats at first drop for Central Districts while Matthew Sinclair usually occupies the #4 spot. I would far rather have Craig McMillan in the Black Caps side than Hamish Marshall, he has more strings to his bow, his bowling could come in very handy, especially if one of the frontliners is getting tonked. I know that McMillan hasn't been in the best of form, but he is a far more likely candidate to win us the semifinal or final than Hamish Marshall is.

Jeetan Patel is definately a much better option as a bowler than either Gillespie or Mason at this stage, and although the Sri Lankan play spin very well as a rule, he has a superb record against them. An average of 24 is superb, as is the economy rate of 3.43 which is excellent, especially considering he has played two thirds of those games on small New Zealand rugby grounds. James Franklin is likely to retain his spot due to his added batting at the end of the innings which the selectors value highly. I would be wary of how Jayasuriya takes to him early in the innings though, traditionally he has been smacked around a bit. Might be worth a shot if we open with Patel actually, it worked well against Australia.