• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Masters of the middle overs

Barney Rubble

International Coach
In my experience Pietersen doesn't let 20-4 stop him playing shots.
Recently it seems to have done. IIRC most of his recent 50s have come off 70-80 balls rather than 40-50 like in the past. I think he realises he can't trust the rest of our batting order.

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Should be batting him somewhere other than four, then. Doesn't get to bat in the PowerPlays and doesn't get to bat in the late overs. Worst place for him.
I personally think KP should open with Cook. But then again who am I to tell an Ashes winning coach who to put where. My reasoning behind it is, Cook could bat through and KP should, if he applys himself, have plenty of time at the crease. Without feeling the need to make up for the lack of runs the openers got.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I personally think KP should open with Cook. But then again who am I to tell an Ashes winning coach who to put where. My reasoning behind it is, Cook could bat through and KP should, if he applys himself, have plenty of time at the crease. Without feeling the need to make up for the lack of runs the openers got.
Playing ODIs now could severely mess with Cook's progress as a test batsman though, really. He's quite obviously not ready to play ODIs, judging by his List A performances.

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Playing ODIs now could severely mess with Cook's progress as a test batsman though, really. He's quite obviously not ready to play ODIs, judging by his List A performances.
Thats a fair point, i would rather him become a good test batsman, than a mediocre ODI test and ODI player

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And depressingly, despite the clear evidence of the Panesar case, I can just see him in there very soon... :no:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Recently it seems to have done. IIRC most of his recent 50s have come off 70-80 balls rather than 40-50 like in the past. I think he realises he can't trust the rest of our batting order.
Not sure, but it certainly weren't that way against Lanka in the last game. Maybe he might have slowed down a bit if wickets were falling around him but I've never seen him fail to give off the aura of playing shots when he first comes in.

Blaze

Banned
the paranoia from NZ fans towards Scaly Piscine is getting ridiculous.

He is right. The best time to judge something like this would be at the end of the super 8's when everyone has played each other.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would not have KP anywhere near the opening slot, he may be doomed to a life of poor ODI performances if that happens.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ditto.

So far as England are concerned, openers are openers in ODIs, and converting middle-order batsmen just doesn't work.