Thread: Masters of the middle overs

You still have to beat them convincingly, unlike india did
    Proudly supporting pink bat grips

The best FC player in the dev league

189 on debut

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash_A55 View Post
    It sure is, with his calibre he should get more big hundreds
    Should be batting him somewhere other than four, then. Doesn't get to bat in the PowerPlays and doesn't get to bat in the late overs. Worst place for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    Should be batting him somewhere other than four, then. Doesn't get to bat in the PowerPlays and doesn't get to bat in the late overs. Worst place for him.
    Considering are openers hang around for all five minutes, KP has ample time at number four to face some PowerPlay cricket. His excuse for not getting hundreds is solely located for his penchant to chuck away good starts not because the field is located here, there and everywhere. He knows his head and shoulders the best batsman in are team and he needs to value his wicket accordingly.

Although, I do have great sympathy for KP for unlike say Australia or South Africa, his usual support either comes in the form of one man (at this moment Paul Collingwood) or his having to deal with a horrendously out of control run rate due to the top threes inability to hit the ball of the square. No wonder he feels the need to personally up the run rate and play the daring though ultimately costly shot.

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    Considering are openers hang around for all five minutes, KP has ample time at number four to face some PowerPlay cricket. His excuse for not getting hundreds is solely located for his penchant to chuck away good starts not because the field is located here, there and everywhere. He knows his head and shoulders the best batsman in are team and he needs to value his wicket accordingly.

Although, I do have great sympathy for KP for unlike say Australia or South Africa, his usual support either comes in the form of one man (at this moment Paul Collingwood) or his having to deal with a horrendously out of control run rate due to the top threes inability to hit the ball of the square. No wonder he feels the need to personally up the run rate and play the daring though ultimately costly shot.
    It's hardly "PowerPlay cricket" when you're trying to rescue a dire situation. He can't exactly come in and play his natural game when we're 20-2.

And besides, if we're going to be placing the vast majority of our victory hopes on him like we currently appear to be, we might as well give him as long as possible to bat.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    In my experience Pietersen doesn't let 20-4 stop him playing shots.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    That Rajesh guy is a legend.
    Damn straight. Some fascinating stuff, he unearths.

And he has the best first name in history! Shared only by Sreesanth.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    In my experience Pietersen doesn't let 20-4 stop him playing shots.
    Recently it seems to have done. IIRC most of his recent 50s have come off 70-80 balls rather than 40-50 like in the past. I think he realises he can't trust the rest of our batting order.

I personally think KP should open with Cook. But then again who am I to tell an Ashes winning coach who to put where. My reasoning behind it is, Cook could bat through and KP should, if he applys himself, have plenty of time at the crease. Without feeling the need to make up for the lack of runs the openers got.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash_A55 View Post
    I personally think KP should open with Cook. But then again who am I to tell an Ashes winning coach who to put where. My reasoning behind it is, Cook could bat through and KP should, if he applys himself, have plenty of time at the crease. Without feeling the need to make up for the lack of runs the openers got.
    Playing ODIs now could severely mess with Cook's progress as a test batsman though, really. He's quite obviously not ready to play ODIs, judging by his List A performances.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Playing ODIs now could severely mess with Cook's progress as a test batsman though, really. He's quite obviously not ready to play ODIs, judging by his List A performances.
    Thats a fair point, i would rather him become a good test batsman, than a mediocre ODI test and ODI player

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    And depressingly, despite the clear evidence of the Panesar case, I can just see him in there very soon...

Recently it seems to have done. IIRC most of his recent 50s have come off 70-80 balls rather than 40-50 like in the past. I think he realises he can't trust the rest of our batting order.
    Not sure, but it certainly weren't that way against Lanka in the last game. Maybe he might have slowed down a bit if wickets were falling around him but I've never seen him fail to give off the aura of playing shots when he first comes in.

the paranoia from NZ fans towards Scaly Piscine is getting ridiculous.

He is right. The best time to judge something like this would be at the end of the super 8's when everyone has played each other.

Cricket Web Content Updater alternative's Avatar
    Clarke imo is simply the best.
    Member of the AAAS
    Member of CW Green | Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team | Northside Power

Manager of South Australia (WCC)

Winner of AFL Tipping 2006 | Winner of Wimbeldon Prediction 2006

Quote Originally Posted by alternative View Post
    Clarke imo is simply the best.
    Better than all the rest?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information