• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Biggest WC selection follies

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Mal Loye in place of Strauss or Ed Joyce
I would have had even Alistair Brown in place of Joyce,Strauss
That would have certainly given England the momentum they badly needed in this W C
Ramesh Powar for Anil Kumble

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
England's top order has been dire, however they hardly had players bashing down the door to get selected there. Loye had his chance - I had high hopes - and he failed horribly.

The continued selection of Mahmood over Plunkett and Lewis is extremely bermusing - particularly in the case of Lewis who is fast becoming one of the most under-rated ODI bowlers of his time.

And as you said, the Powar/Kumble thing was indeed quite silly.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Loye had his chance - I had high hopes - and he failed horribly.
Harsh. His intent made a difference. There are intangibles in this great game of cricket that are annoying to people like myslef as we cant measure them.

But be in no doubt, Loye and Nixon made a huge difference in how the opposition approached England and their comfort levels.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Harsh. His intent made a difference. There are intangibles in this great game of cricket that are annoying to people like myslef as we cant measure them.

But be in no doubt, Loye and Nixon made a huge difference in how the opposition approached England and their comfort levels.
Nixon and Loye's cases should be a good lesson to the poor Indian selectors who always tend to ignore the claims of players >28. e.g. Hemang Badani, who i feel is an oustanding player, really fell a victim to the selectorial follies.

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Mal Loye in place of Strauss or Ed Joyce

I've been saying that all along, England never take full advantage of the power plays. Its a shame with players such as KP who can hit the ball to all parts. I would have liked to see Stuart Broad playing the whole tournament aswell.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
No way Loye should be in there for Strauss or Joyce.

Shahriah Nafees getting dropped for Javed against NZ was a monumental error.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
No way Loye should be in there for Strauss or Joyce.

Shahriah Nafees getting dropped for Javed against NZ was a monumental error.
Do you feel Loye would not have provided the momentum?

And we are talking about the selection of the world cup 15.

Anway Javed's selection over Nafees after 12 runs from 4 matches was justfied.

Ash_A55

U19 Captain

And we are talking about the selection of the world cup 15.

Anway Javed's selection over Nafees after 12 runs from 4 matches was justfied.
I DO feel Loye would have provided the momentum, if he can sweep Brett Lee he can sweep anyone :laugh:

James90

Cricketer Of The Year

And also Javed's selection over Nafees after 12 runs from 4 matches was justfied.
I'd rather have Loye on the tour at the expense of someone else. Joyce had just found form with a century and some other decent scores before the World Cup. Strauss could well have been dropped but he's a quality batsman and a class about Loye.

No way Javed should have played instead of Nafees. Maybe if it was Ireland but a game like NZ they need someone who could stand up to Bond and Vettori...Nafees is a match winner and they'd lost that match as soon as they dropped him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gough was more a new-ball bowler in the twilight phrase of his career, and sadly he bowled awfully in has last 2 ODIs. A shame, as he fought back so many times.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I DO feel Loye would have provided the momentum, if he can sweep Brett Lee he can sweep anyone :laugh:
Not really - I was cringing at the prospect of him trying it against McGrath and sure enough - it backfired badly (and very possibly contributed to his dismissal next ball).

That sweep will only get you so far.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

But that ended-up making little difference to the outcome. England still lost loads of games for ages with Loye (and Nixon) in the side, with those 2 contributing little. Then we managed 2 remarkable victories in the last 2 games with Australia's side weakening and, especially in the Second Final, us enjoying an unusually large advantage with the conditions.

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Not really - I was cringing at the prospect of him trying it against McGrath and sure enough - it backfired badly (and very possibly contributed to his dismissal next ball).

That sweep will only get you so far.
Who hasnt got out against McGrath? He takes wickets for fun, so no suprise trying to sweep him led to a dismissal. Still the intent is terrific!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Who hasnt got out against McGrath? He takes wickets for fun, so no suprise trying to sweep him led to a dismissal. Still the intent is terrific!
Even I can go out there with intent though - it takes batting ability to score runs. Unfortunately, even though I think Loye was much less of a one-trick pony than people make out, he had a glaringly obvious technical weakness to the ball moving away from him, which as a right handed opening batsman, is the worst possible weakness to have.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The point is about the brain - that sweep-to-a-seamer is a premeditated shot, so you can use your brain about when to play it.

Fair enough, good idea to play it against the Johnsons and Lees, who bowl with a flatter trajectory, but when McGrath was bowling at him he should have put the shot in the locker. He's a more than capable player of the Pull-stroke - a far better idea against McGrath.

This is only a side-issue compared to the already-mentioned large weakness against the away-moving ball, and more than ever against left-arm seamers. It shows up the fact that Loye is not really an opener at all, he's just a converted middle-order batsman. In the English domestic game there are far fewer capable awayswing bowlers than at ODI level, so the flaw can to an extent be got away with.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
But that ended-up making little difference to the outcome. England still lost loads of games for ages with Loye (and Nixon) in the side, with those 2 contributing little.
Loads? They have played 7 times together and won 3 and lost 4. Since when was 4 games loads? :blink: Also given that the first 4 were their first ever games at international level it can only be expected that they will not be superstars in their debut games.

Given you write Gough off as he bowled badly in his last 2 ODIs (Im not disagreeing with the point but the use of a tiny sample size to justify it) then the fact that Loye and Nixon have won in the last 3 ODIs they have played together should have you championing them.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Carl Bulfin making the team.

Oh, that was 1999? Still struggling to get over it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Loads? They have played 7 times together and won 3 and lost 4. Since when was 4 games loads? :blink: Also given that the first 4 were their first ever games at international level it can only be expected that they will not be superstars in their debut games.

Given you write Gough off as he bowled badly in his last 2 ODIs (Im not disagreeing with the point but the use of a tiny sample size to justify it) then the fact that Loye and Nixon have won in the last 3 ODIs they have played together should have you championing them.
I certainly don't write Gough off based on those 2 games, at all - I think it perfectly possible he'd have made some improvement had he not got injured. I was crying-out for him to be selected - I was enjoying Bresnan and co being hammered all over by Tharanga, Jayasuriya and co. - 'cos it enhanced his chances of a recall.

I honestly don't believe Loye and Nixon made as much difference as some have made-out, though. We started winning games when Australia weakened due, mainly, to injuries. IMO had Symonds not gone down when he did we'd have had no chance in the CBS finals. And equally, had Aus not treated the game that started our revival as the dead game it was, we'd probably not even have made it there ITFP.