• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Biggest WC selection follies

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Carl Bulfin making the team.

Oh, that was 1999? Still struggling to get over it.
Even if it was only Scotland, was he genuinely picked ahead of Larsen, or was he injured? Can't remember.

And in the same game, Matthew Hart got preferred to Matthew Horne... :blink:

Swervy

International Captain
The point is about the brain - that sweep-to-a-seamer is a premeditated shot, so you can use your brain about when to play it.

Fair enough, good idea to play it against the Johnsons and Lees, who bowl with a flatter trajectory, but when McGrath was bowling at him he should have put the shot in the locker. He's a more than capable player of the Pull-stroke - a far better idea against McGrath.

This is only a side-issue compared to the already-mentioned large weakness against the away-moving ball, and more than ever against left-arm seamers. It shows up the fact that Loye is not really an opener at all, he's just a converted middle-order batsman. In the English domestic game there are far fewer capable awayswing bowlers than at ODI level, so the flaw can to an extent be got away with.
maybe Loyes sweep would have been more effective on the lower slower wickets we have seen in this World Cup

For me, Loye not going was and still is the biggest mistake England have made regarding this tournament

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
maybe Loyes sweep would have been more effective on the lower slower wickets we have seen in this World Cup

For me, Loye not going was and still is the biggest mistake England have made regarding this tournament
I totally agree, so he may get out cheap now and then. Vaughn is doing that every game recently and he is meant to be a master batsman with all the shots in his locker. It wouldnt hurt to try Loye at the world cup. But it's too little too late now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Joyce isn't even English. He shouldn't be in the squad at all.
But he is a cricketer who wants to play for the team that is known as "England".

Which is all that matters, ITBT. All else is mudblood-esque exclusionism.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

And maybe it wouldn't have been... you can't just make a call like that based on nothing but a load of failures (unless you manage to schedule all your ODIs on similar pitches).

And TBH, there have been several surfaces we've played on that have been no different to those we got in Australia. And certainly none of them would have disguised his one glaring weakness - which, in case you noticed, wasn't actually the sweep - that got him into trouble just once.

Swervy

International Captain
And maybe it wouldn't have been... you can't just make a call like that based on nothing but a load of failures (unless you manage to schedule all your ODIs on similar pitches).

And TBH, there have been several surfaces we've played on that have been no different to those we got in Australia. And certainly none of them would have disguised his one glaring weakness - which, in case you noticed, wasn't actually the sweep - that got him into trouble just once.
7 games Richard, thats all he has played for England!!!! We have all seen the success that he has had in the past, I am willing to make a judgement about Loye based on his career as opposed to 7 games played for England

Maybe he wouldnt have been a success in the World Cup, but it wouldnt have been any worse than it is now, and at least there would have been a threat of a flying start from England. Loye has shown at domestic level that he can be effective, and when he gets going, he is devestating.

And I have not seen any pitches in this world cup that is like your typical Australian pitch.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And I didn't seen many "typical" Australian pitches in the CBS.

Actually, strike that, I did - they were all very flat with little seam, which is about all I've ever seen in a non-WACA Australian pitch. They didn't fit the outdated stereotype, though.

IF Loye had been picked ahead of Strauss I honestly wouldn't have had too many complaints (there was no case for picking him ahead of Joyce at the time; Shaun Tait, not the England selectors, are at fault for his presence at the top of the order) but equally, Loye did very little of note in his 7 games, so he was hardly hard-done-by either.

If Loye were younger I'd certainly hope to see him again, but as it is his time's now surely gone and lamenting that can't really change that too much.

I seriously can't believe this is happening - you're championing a player based on his domestic career, I'm putting him down based on his international. :wacko: The ultimate roles-reversed.

readie

State Regular
Joyce isn't even English. He shouldn't be in the squad at all.
If you didn't allow players like joyce all you're minnows would be farked, think Jeremy Bray, Trent Johnston, John Davison (circa 2003) etc.

Swervy

International Captain
I seriously can't believe this is happening - you're championing a player based on his domestic career, I'm putting him down based on his international. :wacko: The ultimate roles-reversed.
:laugh:

I think 'championing' is a bit of a strong word to use, I just feel the England really could have done with a Loye-type top order batsman...I thought that when the squad was announced and I still feel that

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I do understand what you're wanting Swervy, a top order batsman with a bit of aggresion. Would certainly make a big difference as far as I'm concerned. Joyce, Bell, Vaughan and Strauss are all very weak when it comes to putting the other team under pressure with some attacking cricket early on.

SpinnaInATurban

Cricket Spectator
Biggest WC selection follies

England picking Ed Joyce over......anyone who could care to mention, who somehow finds a loophole to be eligible for "team England"

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh:

I think 'championing' is a bit of a strong word to use, I just feel the England really could have done with a Loye-type top order batsman...I thought that when the squad was announced and I still feel that
Championing was a slight exaggeration, maybe, but you know what I mean - the sentiments on either side were, as I say, pretty much an exact reversal of the norm which has been... well... normed-out in 1,000 cases before now.