• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hopes named as cover for Watson

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hopes would be better for the balance of the side for sure. Not entirely convinced about his quality in ODIs yet though, but he could easily prove me wrong.

pup11

International Coach
Predictable and sensible choice, though i would rather play Hopes instead of Hodge,TBH.

But for that to happen wouldn't the Aussies have to drop Watson from the Australian squad?

pup11

International Coach
Quality of Hopes is of course questionable, but atleast he is an all-rounder so he gives more options than Hodge.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't mind Hopes, but I get the feeling Jayasuriya wouldn't mind this move.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Jayasuriya would hammer Hopes around the ground. In fact, I think he's done that once or twice before already.

If you're planning on having your 5th bowler bowl to Jayasuriya though, you're already halfway there to losing the game.

Hopes would be the best option now, clearly - but he's not in the squad. Makes the selection of Clark highly ridiculous - there was always more of a chance of Watson going down than two of our fast bowlers going down at once!

Laurrz

International Debutant
the thing is Hodge has proven he can make big knocks for us... under pressure as well (against NZ at MCG) ...

but yea Hopes adds more in bowling. i suppose it depends ... do we want to help the bowling or help the batting!!?

Hopes batting is better than Hodge bowling though..... but Hodge is actually not bits and peices.. i dunno.... because Hopes was in awesome bowling form and a 5th bowler like him would be amazing

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
but yea Hopes adds more in bowling. i suppose it depends ... do we want to help the bowling or help the batting!!?
Bowling IMO. Batting already has Hayden, Gilchrist, Ponting, Clarke, Symonds, Hussey...

pup11

International Coach
More than Clark [though some other fast-bowler should have been selected instead of him] i think Haddin's selection was more ridicouslous considering even if Gilly was to get injured [suddenly] then Hussey could have acted as the back-up keeper.

Laurrz

International Debutant
hmmm yea Hopes would actually be a handful... as a 5th bowler

but since McGrath Bracks Tait Hogg should bowl well..... they'll attack him, then how will he go? its diff to Queensland

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
More than Clark [though some other fast-bowler should have been selected instead of him] i think Haddin's selection was more ridicouslous considering even if Gilly was to get injured [suddenly] then Hussey could have acted as the back-up keeper.
When the squad was named, it was assumed that Gilchrist would miss the first two games and possibly the third - which was against South Africa - though. Haddin was a must in that case. Obviously Gilchrist's wife had her baby earlier than expected so he joined the squad later anyway. It really wasn't a bad selection.

The fifth fast bowler was though, IMO.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Rob, are you sure it wasn't Gilchrist just missing the first two warm-up games, and "possible the third" being the first game of the preliminary rounds? That's how I remembered it...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Rob, are you sure it wasn't Gilchrist just missing the first two warm-up games, and "possible the third" being the first game of the preliminary rounds? That's how I remembered it...
Hmm, possibly. I assumed the selectors wouldn't bother sending over a player just to have the best possible side for warmup fixtures though...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I remember being struck by that at the time though. And of course, they made a bit of a mention of it in the Victorian papers, seeing Haddin and White were fighting for that last spot in the end...

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good move IMO, Hopes has the potential to be a pretty handy ODI player for Australia. Let's hope (no pun intended) he performs well.

pup11

International Coach
If Hopes has to come and perform for Australia then the bad news would be that Watson would be out of rest of the WC, which would really be disappointing for both Watto and the Aussies.

readie

State Regular
I reckon Moises Henriques should get added to the squad for experience. He will play an ODI or two for Australia next summer. One more Injury and Watson should be added to the DO NOT SELECT folder at Cricket Australia, like Martyn was in mid 90's

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How old is Henriques? 19, 20? Far too young to be picking him, especially since he hasn't even established himself in the NSW first choice team.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You can't just assume Henriques will be eventually playing for Australia when he's done bugger all at state level. He's certainly nowhere close to being ready at this stage.