• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

sri lankas bowling attack the best?

Dissector

International Debutant
Yes it's the best. Vaas and Murali are certainly ODI greats and Malinga is emerging as one. Jaysuriya and Dilshan are among the best of the part-timers out there. When Fernando bowls well the attack becomes really formidable and one of the all-time best in ODI's. We will have to see if he can maintain the kind of bowling he has shown in the last couple of games.

pup11

International Coach
I think more than anything they have great variety to their bowling attack.

They have most bases covered when it comes to bowling, with the likes of Vass,Murali,Malinga,Fernando and Jayasuriya backed up well by part-time options of Dilshan and Arnold.

So on any given surface their bowling attack can be effective due to the variety and quality of their attack.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What has shocked me is how well Fernando has bowled. For someone who I thought was a worse bowler than Dilshan, he's really stepped up in this WC.

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Sri Lanka's Bowling Attack

The bowling performances by these guys so far (Malinga & Murali) has been phenomenal. They are deffinately in with a shout to win the whole thing!

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What has shocked me is how well Fernando has bowled. For someone who I thought was a worse bowler than Dilshan, he's really stepped up in this WC.
I agree regarding Fernando, this is by far the best I have ever seen him bowl. Whenever he has toured New Zealand he has been about 5km slower and always looked far less accurate and threatening. He has really stepped up though, and filled in the weak link in Sri Lanka's bowling attack.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He's bowled way better than I was expecting but TBH he's done that for a game or two before.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
IMO New Zealand's attack is the best at this World Cup. Bond /Oram/Styris/ Vettori / Mason or Franklin... and sometimes complimented by Jeetan Patel seems to be better all round bowling combination whereas SL 's 4th and 5th bowlers have been known to struggle, NZ does not have any such issues with Styris being the star all rounder of this World Cup so far.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
And Australia's attack will go up one or two gears if the need arises ...But so far their batsmen have done enough - so the bowlers haven't needed to do anything spectacular - also because apart from SA and West Indies they have not played any top 8 teams... SA game was on a belter ...so you can't compare bowling in those pitches to other games...

McGrath/Bracken/ Tait/Hogg/Watson +/- Symonds haven't needed to anything spectacular so far.. but one feels in crunch games coming up they will go up a couple of notches on their performance.

pup11

International Coach
If Aussies haven't played against any top 8 sides expect SA and WI, then how many top 8 teams have NZ played against in this WC [ they have only played against ENG and WI].

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Does it matter who has played the top sides? everyobody who got to the world cup deserves to be there. A good team can get the job done against both minnows and giants.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah Fernando's been hitting the deck extremely hard, and getting good pace. On top of that, he's cut down fairly well on his extras, because he used to have a ridiculous no-ball problem.

Let's see how he goes for the rest of the WC.

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Yeah Fernando's been hitting the deck extremely hard, and getting good pace. On top of that, he's cut down fairly well on his extras, because he used to have a ridiculous no-ball problem.

Let's see how he goes for the rest of the WC.
Was his no-ball problem bad? I never knew about it.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Maybe not the best but definately the best balanced. You've got an experienced accurate seamer (Vass) a wild card fast bowler (Malinga - I bet you if he was English he wouldn't get into CC with that action. Coaches would take one look and say "bowl properly". That is one of our problems) the best spinner at this WC (Murali) and an experienced back up (Jayasuriya) Especially if the potential weak links (Fernando and Maharoof) bowl well its a fine attack. Funnily enough against SA and (very nearly) England it was the batting that let them down.I think against the Anzacs they will need to score more if they bat first..

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
a wild card fast bowler (Malinga - I bet you if he was English he wouldn't get into CC with that action. Coaches would take one look and say "bowl properly". That is one of our problems) .
You dont know how true that is, i've seen seen it first hand. A bowler lost his edge when he was told to 'bowl properly' and thus he quit the next season as he became merely average.

dinu23

International Debutant
It was that bad?
he used to have a much more aggressive runup when he first came but unfortunately cant seem to keep his front foot behind the line. Used to ball 2-3 no balls an over. now he runs in like a ballerina on tip toe.