Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: sri lankas bowling attack the best?

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jot1 View Post
    Re the last ball bowled in the England match where Fernando ran up and then did not release the ball, laughed, turned around and only then bowled the ball.
    Fernando did that deliberately, it has even been suggested, (in a newspaper claiming to have interviewed him, though I haven't read the article myself, if there is one), that his captain told him to do so to distract Bopara and break his concentration and so unsettle him.
    What I want to know is whether people think it was legal gamesmanship or cheating?
    It would definitely be under the category of gamesmanship, but how do you even know he did it deliberately in the first place?
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

Quote Originally Posted by shortpitched713 View Post
    It would definitely be under the category of gamesmanship, but how do you even know he did it deliberately in the first place?
    I don't know that he did. I watched the game and to me it was just part of the game. The England supporters watching with us got very excited and upset and shouted "cheat", etc. Today, while discussing the game some of them said the SL captain said in an interview that he had told Fernando to do that and they maintain it was not in the spirit of the game. I just wondered if other England supporters thought so too.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I'd be interested in what you'd have thought were it a game against South Africa... And I mean that in complete sincerity.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I'd be interested in what you'd have thought were it a game against South Africa... And I mean that in complete sincerity.
    It didn't occur to me as cheating at the time because it happens often enough during matches. After our discussion and the "alledged" statement to the newspaper, I did think it was a form of cheating, even if a "legitimate" one. But I believe I wouldn't have been too upset as worse things go on to disconcert batsmen. It shows the quality of the batsman if he doesn't let it. As in the case when Graeme Smith went off with cramp. The whole side collapsed. Commentators were saying that it upset the side and precipitated a collapse. I believe it shouldn't have. He could've been bowled, would that also of excused a collapse?

Quote Originally Posted by shortpitched713 View Post
    I would put it in the category of genius!
    Proudly supporting pink bat grips

The best FC player in the dev league

189 on debut

Quote Originally Posted by Ash_A55 View Post
    I would put it in the category of genius!
    Why? I can't see any real benefits of doing it, nor do I see it as something that hasn't been thought of before...
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

He could see what shot Bopara was going to play

yeah, that was definitely the reason dilhara didnt bowl that ball.

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Why? I can't see any real benefits of doing it, nor do I see it as something that hasn't been thought of before...
    I remember hearing Warne talking about doing this against the West Indies in the Caribbean while bowling to Hooper.

Hooper was coming down the track to him consistently, and Warne couldn't work out how to pick when Hooper would charge, and when he would play from the crease. He decided to come in to bowl, with no intention of letting the ball go, and just watch Hooper. He worked out that Hooper would glance down at his boots as Warne was coming in to bowl when he intended playing from the crease, but would just look straight at Warne when he was going to charge.

He got his information, and then was more successful against him.

As long as its not done constantly, I don't see an issue with it. Frankly, if a batsman is premeditating his shots so much that it makes the bowler's tactic effective, then that his the risk he takes.
    Last edited by Bracken; 07-04-2007 at 10:39 AM.

how inciteful

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bracken View Post
    I remember hearing Warne talking about doing this against the West Indies in the Caribbean while bowling to Hooper.

Hooper was coming down the track to him consistently, and Warne couldn't work out how to pick when Hooper would charge, and when he would play from the crease. He decided to come in to bowl, with no intention of letting the ball go, and just watch Hooper. He worked out that Hooper would glance down at his boots as Warne was coming in to bowl when he intended playing from the crease, but would just look straight at Warne when he was going to charge.

He got his information, and then was more successful against him.

As long as its not done constantly, I don't see an issue with it. Frankly, if a batsman is premeditating his shots so much that it makes the bowler's tactic effective, then that his the risk he takes.
    Yep, agree 100%. It's a legit tactic to counter premeditated strokes from batsmen IMO.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    My Dad said exactly the same thing, since Bopara didn't come down the wicket or move to the off/leg side at all then Dilhara could assume he was going to play the ball from the crease. Bit of a risk, but it turns out thats the way it eventuated.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information