Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sri lankas bowling attack the best?

Maybe not the best but definately the best balanced. You've got an experienced accurate seamer (Vass) a wild card fast bowler (Malinga - I bet you if he was English he wouldn't get into CC with that action. Coaches would take one look and say "bowl properly". That is one of our problems) the best spinner at this WC (Murali) and an experienced back up (Jayasuriya) Especially if the potential weak links (Fernando and Maharoof) bowl well its a fine attack. Funnily enough against SA and (very nearly) England it was the batting that let them down.I think against the Anzacs they will need to score more if they bat first..
    Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Brian Laudrup, Gazza and Daniela Hantuchova....a fan of you all FOREVER!!!
    Can't wait to see Australia field a crap leg-spinner like Hollland or Hohns again.....
    Congratulations to Daniela Hantuchova on her 3rd career title....
    Bob Woolmer 1948-2007..farewell to the best coach England never had...
    Arise Sir Beefy....
    Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb...

Quote Originally Posted by Poker Boy View Post
    a wild card fast bowler (Malinga - I bet you if he was English he wouldn't get into CC with that action. Coaches would take one look and say "bowl properly". That is one of our problems) .
    You dont know how true that is, i've seen seen it first hand. A bowler lost his edge when he was told to 'bowl properly' and thus he quit the next season as he became merely average.
    Proudly supporting pink bat grips

The best FC player in the dev league

189 on debut

Quote Originally Posted by Ash_A55 View Post
    Was his no-ball problem bad? I never knew about it.
    u have no idea mate...

Quote Originally Posted by dinu23 View Post
    u have no idea mate...
    It was that bad?

It was that bad?
    he used to have a much more aggressive runup when he first came but unfortunately cant seem to keep his front foot behind the line. Used to ball 2-3 no balls an over. now he runs in like a ballerina on tip toe.

It was that bad?
    He is due for one of his famous no-ball spells, 2 good games in a row means one spell is on the way, watch and be amazed
    For as long as there is limited overs cricket - of ten, twenty or fifty overs - there will remain the Sri Lankan spinners' mid-innings choke

Re the last ball bowled in the England match where Fernando ran up and then did not release the ball, laughed, turned around and only then bowled the ball.
    Fernando did that deliberately, it has even been suggested, (in a newspaper claiming to have interviewed him, though I haven't read the article myself, if there is one), that his captain told him to do so to distract Bopara and break his concentration and so unsettle him.
    What I want to know is whether people think it was legal gamesmanship or cheating?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Can't see anything wrong with it myself.

It was every bit as likely to harm the bowler as the batsman - it's a risk he had to choose whether to take.

There's no way to prohibit it, either, TBH.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Lostman View Post
    He is due for one of his famous no-ball spells, 2 good games in a row means one spell is on the way, watch and be amazed
    Have faith

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Yeah Fernando's been hitting the deck extremely hard, and getting good pace. On top of that, he's cut down fairly well on his extras, because he used to have a ridiculous no-ball problem.

Let's see how he goes for the rest of the WC.
    Was his no-ball problem bad? I never knew about it.
    u have no idea mate...
    It was that bad?
    he used to have a much more aggressive runup when he first came but unfortunately cant seem to keep his front foot behind the line. Used to ball 2-3 no balls an over. now he runs in like a ballerina on tip toe.
    Haha, yeah, Fernando is the worst no-baller I've ever seen. The problem seems to be cured at the moment but my guess is that it'd only be temporary.

Ah right, I watched him bowl and it never appeared to me that he was someone with a no-ball problem

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    They do seem to be in pretty good form at the moment, it will be interesting to see if that lasts right through the semi and final.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Can't see anything wrong with it myself.

It was every bit as likely to harm the bowler as the batsman - it's a risk he had to choose whether to take.

There's no way to prohibit it, either, TBH.
    Some of the English people I've spoken to feel it was cheating and the umpire should have done something about it. Not in the spirit of the game and all that.

Well, they would wouldn't they?

But I see nothing wrong in it, and see it as a very good tactic (because it worked - Bopara played a nothing shot to an innocuous length ball). More to the point, as Richard pointed out, it could have harmed bowler and fielding side too, and in any case, I have seen batsman back away on the last ball as the bowler runs in - this is merely the converse of that. Mahela is to be commended if he suggested it to Dilhara.

In regards to Dilhara, I hope the bowling NB problem does not re-occur, at least in this WC as he is starting to look like a wicket taking bowler. Considering the fact that he has altered his run-up it is unlikely his no-balling problem will occur to the same level and extent that it used to (*crosses fingers*) in much the same manner as Lee, for instance, has also managed to rectify (or at least ameliorate) that aspect of his bowling.

Quote Originally Posted by jot1 View Post
    Some of the English people I've spoken to feel it was cheating and the umpire should have done something about it. Not in the spirit of the game and all that.
    There's nothing that could have been done about it. You can't turn back the clock.

Most of the England fans you spoke to about it were probably a bit bitter about losing a tight game, TBH, it's an unfortunate trait of most sports fans, to clutch at a various straw having been beaten, especially in a nail-biter.

As I say - personally, it's not something I had a problem with and I'm just astounded we managed to get as close as we did.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information