• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

sri lankas bowling attack the best?

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Re the last ball bowled in the England match where Fernando ran up and then did not release the ball, laughed, turned around and only then bowled the ball.
Fernando did that deliberately, it has even been suggested, (in a newspaper claiming to have interviewed him, though I haven't read the article myself, if there is one), that his captain told him to do so to distract Bopara and break his concentration and so unsettle him.
What I want to know is whether people think it was legal gamesmanship or cheating?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can't see anything wrong with it myself.

It was every bit as likely to harm the bowler as the batsman - it's a risk he had to choose whether to take.

There's no way to prohibit it, either, TBH.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah Fernando's been hitting the deck extremely hard, and getting good pace. On top of that, he's cut down fairly well on his extras, because he used to have a ridiculous no-ball problem.

Let's see how he goes for the rest of the WC.
Was his no-ball problem bad? I never knew about it.
u have no idea mate...
It was that bad?
he used to have a much more aggressive runup when he first came but unfortunately cant seem to keep his front foot behind the line. Used to ball 2-3 no balls an over. now he runs in like a ballerina on tip toe.
Haha, yeah, Fernando is the worst no-baller I've ever seen. The problem seems to be cured at the moment but my guess is that it'd only be temporary.

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Ah right, I watched him bowl and it never appeared to me that he was someone with a no-ball problem

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
They do seem to be in pretty good form at the moment, it will be interesting to see if that lasts right through the semi and final.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Can't see anything wrong with it myself.

It was every bit as likely to harm the bowler as the batsman - it's a risk he had to choose whether to take.

There's no way to prohibit it, either, TBH.
Some of the English people I've spoken to feel it was cheating and the umpire should have done something about it. Not in the spirit of the game and all that.

JBH001

International Regular
Well, they would wouldn't they?

But I see nothing wrong in it, and see it as a very good tactic (because it worked - Bopara played a nothing shot to an innocuous length ball). More to the point, as Richard pointed out, it could have harmed bowler and fielding side too, and in any case, I have seen batsman back away on the last ball as the bowler runs in - this is merely the converse of that. Mahela is to be commended if he suggested it to Dilhara.

In regards to Dilhara, I hope the bowling NB problem does not re-occur, at least in this WC as he is starting to look like a wicket taking bowler. Considering the fact that he has altered his run-up it is unlikely his no-balling problem will occur to the same level and extent that it used to (*crosses fingers*) in much the same manner as Lee, for instance, has also managed to rectify (or at least ameliorate) that aspect of his bowling.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Some of the English people I've spoken to feel it was cheating and the umpire should have done something about it. Not in the spirit of the game and all that.
There's nothing that could have been done about it. You can't turn back the clock.

Most of the England fans you spoke to about it were probably a bit bitter about losing a tight game, TBH, it's an unfortunate trait of most sports fans, to clutch at a various straw having been beaten, especially in a nail-biter.

As I say - personally, it's not something I had a problem with and I'm just astounded we managed to get as close as we did.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Re the last ball bowled in the England match where Fernando ran up and then did not release the ball, laughed, turned around and only then bowled the ball.
Fernando did that deliberately, it has even been suggested, (in a newspaper claiming to have interviewed him, though I haven't read the article myself, if there is one), that his captain told him to do so to distract Bopara and break his concentration and so unsettle him.
What I want to know is whether people think it was legal gamesmanship or cheating?
It would definitely be under the category of gamesmanship, but how do you even know he did it deliberately in the first place?

jot1

State Vice-Captain
It would definitely be under the category of gamesmanship, but how do you even know he did it deliberately in the first place?
I don't know that he did. I watched the game and to me it was just part of the game. The England supporters watching with us got very excited and upset and shouted "cheat", etc. Today, while discussing the game some of them said the SL captain said in an interview that he had told Fernando to do that and they maintain it was not in the spirit of the game. I just wondered if other England supporters thought so too.:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd be interested in what you'd have thought were it a game against South Africa... :) And I mean that in complete sincerity.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
I'd be interested in what you'd have thought were it a game against South Africa... :) And I mean that in complete sincerity.
It didn't occur to me as cheating at the time because it happens often enough during matches. After our discussion and the "alledged" statement to the newspaper, I did think it was a form of cheating, even if a "legitimate" one. But I believe I wouldn't have been too upset as worse things go on to disconcert batsmen. It shows the quality of the batsman if he doesn't let it. As in the case when Graeme Smith went off with cramp. The whole side collapsed. Commentators were saying that it upset the side and precipitated a collapse. I believe it shouldn't have. He could've been bowled, would that also of excused a collapse? :)

Bracken

U19 Debutant
Why? I can't see any real benefits of doing it, nor do I see it as something that hasn't been thought of before...
I remember hearing Warne talking about doing this against the West Indies in the Caribbean while bowling to Hooper.

Hooper was coming down the track to him consistently, and Warne couldn't work out how to pick when Hooper would charge, and when he would play from the crease. He decided to come in to bowl, with no intention of letting the ball go, and just watch Hooper. He worked out that Hooper would glance down at his boots as Warne was coming in to bowl when he intended playing from the crease, but would just look straight at Warne when he was going to charge.

He got his information, and then was more successful against him.

As long as its not done constantly, I don't see an issue with it. Frankly, if a batsman is premeditating his shots so much that it makes the bowler's tactic effective, then that his the risk he takes.

Last edited: