• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chappell resigns as India coach

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well I'll be damned.

Probably the best thing that could occur to cool things off a little, because IMO it was fairly obvious he was going to go one way or another.

pup11

International Coach
Hope with Chappell resigning the whole Chappell v/s Indian players issue comes to an end.

I think Chappell should have done this as soon as the Indian team arrived back home.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'd say resign is a bit of a strong word seeing as his contract was about to expire, was he honestly going to get another one after the trials and tribulations of his tenure?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Apparently because he announced his decision before the expiry date it was a resignation. 8-)

dass

Banned
i guess indians really should stop dreaming, they will never become a team like australia until we make the enviroment that is in australia for cricket.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
It is good for Indian Cricket. He was a smart guy with lots of ideas but didn't have the skill to implement those ideas not to forget his poor man management skills. Whatever it is, he is a much richer man now, in his two years as Indian coach he earned close to 400,000 USD + perks.

Good Luck Guru Greg.

pasag

RTDAS
It is good for Indian Cricket. He was a smart guy with lots of ideas but didn't have the skill to implement those ideas not to forget his poor man management skills. Whatever it is, he is a much richer man now, in his two years as Indian coach he earned close to 400,000 USD + perks.

Good Luck Guru Greg.
Wouldn't call $200,000 a year for living away from home in a high pressure job that extravagant, if that's what you're implying.

pup11

International Coach
People like Chappell who are honest and in your face won't work in Indian cricket,which is the biggest problem with Indian cricket.

Indian cricket set-up is just interested is financial gains and same can be said about the players too,so when somebody like Chappell stands up and says this is wrong and needs to change,he is chucked out of the job and is blamed for everything that went wrong with Indian cricket during his tenure as coach.

Dissector

International Debutant
I don't think being in your face is Chappell's main problem tbh. He just seems to have poor man management skills which would hurt him in most coaching positions. It's not as if he has had great success as a coach anywhere else. Anyway there are clearly problems with Indian cricket that go beyond Chappell but getting rid of him is a good start.

I hope the next person is someone who has actually succeeded as a coach instead of a big name. I would also like to see someone with experience in Indian domestic cricket. What about someone like Inktihab Alam who coaches for Punjab and has also been successful at the international level?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
so now that he is gone, I bet nothing will be done about the players and all the stuff they have done wrong during his tenure will just get brushed under the carpet, esp. since the names involved seem to be big ones like Sachin, Sourav etc.

I am afraid I foresee another very very disappointing and mediocre few years ahead, with the odd Tendulkar hundred (can see him get rejuvenated and do well again, now that Greg is gone and he still has something to prove) or Dhoni dhamaka will all be what we will get (and it will satisfy our average fan too, BTW).

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Could see it coming from a mile away, better he goes on his own terms I suppose.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
While Greg Chappell being murdered also would be beyond belief, I can't believe it won't have gone through his mind. Not sure Ian is terribly wise to mention it, though, TBH.

pup11

International Coach
The whole world knows the Chappell brothers as in your face and honest, but i won't regard them honest anymore i would rather regard them as stupid individuals because they just don't know when to shut-up.

I mean its fairly natural for Greg Chappell to be worried after Woolmer's death and being a coach of a sub-continent team is never easy, but what makes Greg think that he would have retained his job in the first place!?!?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Wouldn't call $200,000 a year for living away from home in a high pressure job that extravagant, if that's what you're implying.
200,000 USD + a 5 Star Accomodation for him and his wife, 20000 USD travel allowance in addition to air/car/train fare, + 80 days of Vacation + Daily Allowance etc

For screwing a team single handedly , seems a lot to me.

There hardly was any accountability for those two years, He still is going to get another lucrative offer from BCCI despite doing a really **** job as a coach.

pasag

RTDAS
200,000 USD + a 5 Star Accomodation for him and his wife, 20000 USD travel allowance in addition to air/car/train fare, + 80 days of Vacation + Daily Allowance etc

For screwing a team single handedly , seems a lot to me.

There hardly was any accountability for those two years, He still is going to get another lucrative offer from BCCI despite doing a really **** job as a coach.
Jeez, abit extreme hey. Firstly I don't see how he ran the team into the ground. If India were successful I wouldn't give him much credit and if the failed I wouldn't give him much blame. To say that he screwed the team "single handedly" is purely making him a scapegoat. Seems like a huge overreaction on your part.

And no, $200,000 and a hotel and travel allowance and vacation time etc does not seem like such a large amount to me for a person in that position, in those circumstances.