• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chappell resigns as India coach

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Jeez, abit extreme hey. Firstly I don't see how he ran the team into the ground. If India were successful I wouldn't give him much credit and if the failed I wouldn't give him much blame. To say that he screwed the team "single handedly" is purely making him a scapegoat. Seems like a huge overreaction on your part.

And no, $200,000 and a hotel and travel allowance and vacation time etc does not seem like such a large amount to me for a person in that position, in those circumstances.
I guess you are contradicting yourself when you say that you wouldn't give him too much credit for win/loss and then saying 200K+perks isn't much for such a job. JW got probably 1/3rd of what Chappell has been getting, hope you get the Idea.

I dont think I am over-reacting at all. Chappell Inherited a team from John Wright which won/lost like a team, since Chappell has taken over, all one hears about the player groups within the team. I dont think anyone else accept Chappell can take that blame. I dont think I have seen an Indian team this divided in last 25 years.

pasag

RTDAS
I guess you are contradicting yourself when you say that you wouldn't give him too much credit for win/loss and then saying 200K+perks isn't much for such a job. JW got probably 1/3rd of what Chappell has been getting, hope you get the Idea.

I dont think I am over-reacting at all. Chappell Inherited a team from John Wright which won/lost like a team, since Chappell has taken over, all one hears about the player groups within the team. I dont think anyone else accept Chappell can take that blame. I dont think I have seen an Indian team this divided in last 25 years.
It's not contradictory at all. I think it would be a fairly standard amount for a similar person in a similar position. Top AFL coaches get much more iirc and there is only a fraction of a percentage of the money in Aussie Rules as there is in Cricket. I'm not saying that it's not alot, but I am saying it's not OTT as you might be implying. Furthermore, as a rule and not just in Chappell's case, I think coaches in international professional sport shouldn't be held that accountable for wins and losses of their sides, certainly not to the scapegoat extent that they are dealt with now. Sure they are important and very useful, but not more than that. So just because a coach doesn't hold the keys to a sides success and failure (imo), doesn't mean they shouldn't be payed well for all the hard work and effort they put in. Also that Wright got payed less, you have to take into account inflation, Chappell's higher profile, cricket getting richer etc.