Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chappell resigns as India coach

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    While Greg Chappell being murdered also would be beyond belief, I can't believe it won't have gone through his mind. Not sure Ian is terribly wise to mention it, though, TBH.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

The whole world knows the Chappell brothers as in your face and honest, but i won't regard them honest anymore i would rather regard them as stupid individuals because they just don't know when to shut-up.

I mean its fairly natural for Greg Chappell to be worried after Woolmer's death and being a coach of a sub-continent team is never easy, but what makes Greg think that he would have retained his job in the first place!?!?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Huh?

What do those 2 things have to do with each other?

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Wouldn't call $200,000 a year for living away from home in a high pressure job that extravagant, if that's what you're implying.
    200,000 USD + a 5 Star Accomodation for him and his wife, 20000 USD travel allowance in addition to air/car/train fare, + 80 days of Vacation + Daily Allowance etc

For screwing a team single handedly , seems a lot to me.

There hardly was any accountability for those two years, He still is going to get another lucrative offer from BCCI despite doing a really **** job as a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    200,000 USD + a 5 Star Accomodation for him and his wife, 20000 USD travel allowance in addition to air/car/train fare, + 80 days of Vacation + Daily Allowance etc

For screwing a team single handedly , seems a lot to me.

There hardly was any accountability for those two years, He still is going to get another lucrative offer from BCCI despite doing a really **** job as a coach.
    Jeez, abit extreme hey. Firstly I don't see how he ran the team into the ground. If India were successful I wouldn't give him much credit and if the failed I wouldn't give him much blame. To say that he screwed the team "single handedly" is purely making him a scapegoat. Seems like a huge overreaction on your part.

And no, $200,000 and a hotel and travel allowance and vacation time etc does not seem like such a large amount to me for a person in that position, in those circumstances.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Jeez, abit extreme hey. Firstly I don't see how he ran the team into the ground. If India were successful I wouldn't give him much credit and if the failed I wouldn't give him much blame. To say that he screwed the team "single handedly" is purely making him a scapegoat. Seems like a huge overreaction on your part.

And no, $200,000 and a hotel and travel allowance and vacation time etc does not seem like such a large amount to me for a person in that position, in those circumstances.
    I guess you are contradicting yourself when you say that you wouldn't give him too much credit for win/loss and then saying 200K+perks isn't much for such a job. JW got probably 1/3rd of what Chappell has been getting, hope you get the Idea.

I dont think I am over-reacting at all. Chappell Inherited a team from John Wright which won/lost like a team, since Chappell has taken over, all one hears about the player groups within the team. I dont think anyone else accept Chappell can take that blame. I dont think I have seen an Indian team this divided in last 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    I guess you are contradicting yourself when you say that you wouldn't give him too much credit for win/loss and then saying 200K+perks isn't much for such a job. JW got probably 1/3rd of what Chappell has been getting, hope you get the Idea.

I dont think I am over-reacting at all. Chappell Inherited a team from John Wright which won/lost like a team, since Chappell has taken over, all one hears about the player groups within the team. I dont think anyone else accept Chappell can take that blame. I dont think I have seen an Indian team this divided in last 25 years.
    It's not contradictory at all. I think it would be a fairly standard amount for a similar person in a similar position. Top AFL coaches get much more iirc and there is only a fraction of a percentage of the money in Aussie Rules as there is in Cricket. I'm not saying that it's not alot, but I am saying it's not OTT as you might be implying. Furthermore, as a rule and not just in Chappell's case, I think coaches in international professional sport shouldn't be held that accountable for wins and losses of their sides, certainly not to the scapegoat extent that they are dealt with now. Sure they are important and very useful, but not more than that. So just because a coach doesn't hold the keys to a sides success and failure (imo), doesn't mean they shouldn't be payed well for all the hard work and effort they put in. Also that Wright got payed less, you have to take into account inflation, Chappell's higher profile, cricket getting richer etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information