• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will get through to the Semis?

aljoha20

Cricket Spectator
I think these will be the four teams going through to the Semi-Finals:

New Zealand
Australia
Sri Lanka
England

Who do you think will go through?

corza_nz

School Boy/Girl Captain
i think
australia
new zealand
sri lanka
south africa

in that order.... then anything can happen from there.
im not sure about england. i dont think they can make it.

pup11

International Coach
My pick would be in following order:-

1. Australia
2. Sri Lanka
3. New Zealand
4. South Africa

England have an outside chance of qualifying instead of South Africa.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
To be quie honest I will be amazed if Australia, NZ and SL do not qualify. SA are favouites for the last spot as England and WI need a vast improvement to stand a chance and Bangladesh and Ireland seem to have run out of miracles.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Given South Africa have already defeated Sri Lanka, what makes everyone think that Sri Lanka are more likely to finish higher? Playing more asthetically pleasing cricket in people's minds doesn't get you the points on the board - so unless people think SL will beat NZ or Australia and SA will lose to NZ and have a lower NRR or lose to England, I don't see how it's going to work - and I don't forsee those situations being more likely than not...

simmy

International Regular
Eng v SL game tomorrow is huge in context of this thread. I will make prediction after that.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
There was an article in the NZ Herald today quoting Viv Richards as saying he thinks NZ will win it, or at least have a very good chance of. I'll try and get the link in a bit.

pup11

International Coach
Sri lanka came into the Super 8's with 2 points [which South Africa didn't do] and a very good NRR, thats why i am expecting them to finish ahead of the Proteas.

I am expecting the Proteas to lose against the Black Caps, and Sri Lanka to win against the Black Caps [because i think Murali would mesmerize the Kiwis].

England could be the real dark-horses in this whole equation, of course if they play to their potential.

pup11

International Coach
As for West Indies i don't think they have any realistic chance of making it into the semi-finals and frankly speaking they don't even deserve to qualify either, they just have played some awful cricket in the Super 8's.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah NZ always have to becareful of Murali but NZ has played Sri Lanka how many times over the last 3 years? we've played about 4 or 5 series against them. They should be pretty used to facing up to him now.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Yeah NZ always have to becareful of Murali but NZ has played Sri Lanka how many times over the last 3 years? we've played about 4 or 5 series against them. They should be pretty used to facing up to him now.
And to add to that, Stephen Fleming has been in some good form (he says the best form of his life), and he has had a lot of success against Murali and Sri Lanka in the past, at least in Test Matches IIRC

Yeah, we play them in a series, if not two, each year :p

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
And to add to that, Stephen Fleming has been in some good form (he says the best form of his life), and he has had a lot of success against Murali and Sri Lanka in the past, at least in Test Matches IIRC

Yeah, we play them in a series, if not two, each year :p
NZ and AUS to get through to there last Super 8 match unbeaten!!!
That match is gonna be a cracker, decider of who goes through first. And at least if it happens that way they won't meet in the semis

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
I think the final order will be

Australia
New Zealand
South Africa
Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka is the most in danger of missing out but only if they lose against England. If they do then England has a great chance of qualifying. You can write off teh West Indies, Bangladesh and Ireland.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I really can't see how anyone would want to back against Aus-SA-NZ-SL.

Especially if SL beat England as expected today.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sri lanka came into the Super 8's with 2 points [which South Africa didn't do] and a very good NRR, thats why i am expecting them to finish ahead of the Proteas.
Yeah, but Sri Lanka had played Bangladesh, while South Africa had played Australia. I expect Australia to beat SL and SA to beat B'desh, so the advantage SL had with those two points is then nullified.

I am expecting the Proteas to lose against the Black Caps, and Sri Lanka to win against the Black Caps [because i think Murali would mesmerize the Kiwis].
Presuming England don't beat anyone important and Australia don't lose to anyone important, that'd then leave three teams all on equal points.